Virtual choir opportunity for SSiWers

@HuwJones
My voice was turned right down on the recording track because it’s harder to pitch if you hear a very similar voice singing the same thing. So for females singing along with me I didn’t want to make it harder. It’s probably fine for a man singing and octave down. I can give you the separate vocal and piano tracks if you think it would be helpful. Then you can set your own levels.

@CatrinLliarJones
You could try your phone? It must have some kind of recording app? Mine has iRecorder. Check it before you do the whole thing though. It needs to be about 30cms away. If it’s further your voice will sound far away and if it’s too close it might be distorted.

@ceri-francis I wasn’t criticising the level you chose to record at. In fact you acknowledged it at the time you published your part. When I referred to my equipment, that, of course, includes my own ears which have a reduced high frequency response as the normal consequence of aging. Rather than ask you to provide a separate voice track (you’re busy enough) I was happy to solve my issue with the help of Audacity. Thank you for the offer, though. :smile:

1 Like

@HuwJones

I didn’t hear any criticism at all so please don’t ever worry about commenting. I just explained why the vocal was lower In the recording tracks as a few people have mentioned it now.

Years of singing in mics and recordings with my not very strong voice have taught me that having someone else singing the same thing makes it harder to pitch. It’s one of those strange things. People can’t tell who is who so shift their voice a bit and before you know it both people are wobbling around, out of tune, and it sounds terrible. Well I do anyway :joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like

HI, Ive just joined and just seen this; am I too late? When does it need to be sent by please?

Helena:smiley

Helo. Ble mae geiriau? Dw i ddim yn gallu feindio. Diolch. Sonia

I did the same. Just use a simple Voice Recorder app

I played the piano track on my laptop and recorded myself singing on a simple Voice Recorder app. I didn’t use Audacity as I didn’t have enough space to download it!

The 24 voices sound wonderful. Looking forward to the final version.

1 Like

That’s interesting. My only experience of serious singing was in the school choir, so of course the people around were singing exactly the same part as we stood in blocks of sopranos, second sopranos, and altos. I therefore found it difficult to sing confidently with such a faint voice as a guide. It obviously depends on what you’re used to.

Hi Ceri, I would love to join this amazing project. Is there still time to contribute?

1 Like

I fancy a go, can you send words and music-please?

1 Like

My man melody is on its way by e-mail to @ceri-francis in 2 files. I was tempted to send them anonymously. :laughing::blush:

1 Like

Probably much higher up but here they are again. Dyma Gariad Words.pdf (14.6 KB)

haha. I might have recognised your voice though Huw :):grinning:

1 Like

Please just scroll up. Everything has already been posted. The score is here but please listen to the soundcloud files and use them to sing along to when you record. Let me know if you can’t find them or if anything is unclear. There is a youtube clip explaining what to do as well.

Yes, that would be great. Please do get your recording to me before the end of April though. Please read from the top of the post to see what to do. Hopefully, you’ll find everything you need.

Yes choirs are different. I just meant recording and using mics is a different experience to singing acoustically. In a choir you haven’t got someone else’s voice inside your head which is what it can seem like when you’re singing to a backing track with headphones. I guess everyone is different though. :blush:

[quote=“ceri-francis, post:1, topic:24906”]

Would love to join in. Usually sing alto, not sure about hearing my own voice without a choir surrounding it, but want to try. Can I still join and if so what do I do next?
Eirwen

1 Like

Yes, please do try @eirwen-smith. Please watch the video I made about how to do this. All the various links for the sound cloud files plus the words, how to pronounce them and the score if you want it are above. Please don’t worry about hearing your voice. It’s just like singing along to something and so far no-one has told me they couldn’t do it. Based on the recordings I’ve received people are coping well so I hope you will too. If you need help just let me know. Please start by watching this

1 Like