Virtual Intercontinental Meetup

Since I was interested enough in Saturday virtual meet-ups to take responsibility for them on Google+ until others stopped participating, I would DEFINITELY like to participate in them again. Please add my Skype name, FfermBrynCedrwydd to the invitation list. I have not used Skype in the past, so I would appreciate any tips you can send me about what I need to do to participate. My email address is williamsnorton1858@centurytel.net .

2 Likes

Anyone out there use FaceTime?

I am interested too. My skype is - jenny.white125

Hey everyone I would also be interested in trying this out! Does everyone just call in at a certain time or how does it work?

(Answered by PM)

hey jeanne, can you add me? my skype name is io.anarresti

I might like to join you some Saturdays. My email is yllop@btinternet.com
I believe my skype name is yllop_3
I am relatively new to skype, and know how to call some one, but I don’t know how to join a meet-up.
Polly

1 Like

@pollypolly someone already in the Skype group has to ad you in. You practically can’t join if you’re not invited (added) into conversation. At least that’s of I know from the times I’ve chated in the group (way quite time ago though).

Happy conversing and skyeing to all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jeannependergast Have you seen this Jeanne?

1 Like

Several new people asked about joining the Saturday Skype sessions while I was away and someone else responded for me. We haven’t heard from some of the inquirers since.

If anyone who is not yet being called on Saturdays (5pm UK time) is still interested and really does want to be part of the group, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and Skype name. Diolch.

1 Like

Hi.
Was wondering if this group still meets. If so, I would be interested in joining. My Welsh is very limited (very much a beginner), but would like to at least practise my listening.
Diolch yn fawr,
Troy

Hello Jeanne. I’m in Brisbane, Australia and would like to join in. I’m not sure how the times will work for me though. If you give me the Uk time I will be able to work it out. My email is lynfreud@hotmail.com. Thank you, Lynne

I think @jeannependergast has been in touch with you both, but if not, the group still meets through Skype on Saturdays at 5pm UK time. There are usually a few there to chat each week, but they would love some more to join in as not everyone can make it every week.

1 Like

Hello Jeanne, mike has been in touch with me about Saturday mornings. I’m in Australia, Brisbane. I would like to join the group. My email is lynfreud@hotmail.com. My Skype name is Lynnefreud. I’ll go online on Saturday (7 am for me, approx) and see what happens. Thank you. Lynne

Mary Williams-Norton will be taking over the running of these sessions after great work from Jeanne (jeannependergast). She has sent out an email to people who have participated before, and I’ll post it here so new people can see. Please send a response through to Mary (@marywilliamsnorton) to let her know if you’re interested.

I am happy to try to initiate the Saturday International SaySomethinginWelsh sessions on Skype now that Jeanne Pendergast has decided to pursue her Welsh learning in other ways. Because many of you on the Saturday
international meet-up have not been participating, I am seeking confirmation of your interest in participating before attempting to send out a call for the next meet-up to be held on 20 February. (I’m
proposing skipping a week so I can learn how to make Skype lists and Skype calls!)

If you are interested in participating in Saturday Skype meet-ups (even if you cannot do so on 20 February or do so every week), please reply to this message at your very earliest convenience. If I don’t hear from you, I’ll assume that you are no longer interested and will not send you reminder messages by email or Skype calls. Please also send you Skype name so I can add it to my contact list.

If you are interested in Skype meet-ups but find Saturday ones inconvenient or impossible, let me know if there is a better day and/or time that would work for you. Realistically the range of times for an international meet-up is limited because it must be at least reasonably convenient for people in time zones from western U.S.A. to Europe: a span of nine hours. I look forward to continuing international meet-ups.

2 Likes

Hi Mary @marywilliamsnorton

I think I’m about ready to try my Welsh out in the wild for the first time and would be really keen to join the intercontinental meetups.

I wont be able to commit to the 20th as I am away that weekend, but I would definitely like to participate from the 27th if I may. I’m in Africa, so it will be around 19:30 (I’ll have to double check that).

My email is chris@learntech.co.za, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Aros yn dda.

Chris :beers:

1 Like

I don’t understand how we can “Meet-up” I live in Switzerland , someone else with whom I correspond in Hrance…another Dysgwt in England Gow can we possibly meet
Sorry if I have misinterpreted your message.
Margaret Steinmann

It’s a “virtual” meet-up, Margaret. People join in a group online through Skype and have their meet-up in that way as they can’t do it physically.

1 Like

Mary (@marywilliamsnorton), I would be interested in trying the intercontinental meetups. How long do they last? My Skype name is elizabeth.liney. Do I just go on to Skype at 5pm UK time on Saturday and receive a call? I use Skype regularly but only on a one-to-one basis, never a group before. Do I need to send you my email address or can you pick it up from SSIW profile?

Elizabeth,
I’m happy to hear about your interest. Please send me your email address so I can send you reminders, ideas for things to discuss, etc. before the sessions. Thank you for sending your Skype name. I’ll be trying to add it to my contacts. Once I’ve done that, you need to acknowledge/ accept the contact so I can use it to create a “conversation group”. Once that is set up, you do need to go to Skype and sign in a few minutes before 5 p.m. UK time and wait for the call. One of the people who is interested in joining the conversation asked for some conversation topics in advance, so I’ll try to send out a few very generic ones today, if possible. Expect all levels of fluency (or lack thereof) during the sessions. I’m glad to hear that you have lots of Skype experience. I do not, so I may need your help!!
Hwyl am y tro ,
Mary ( email: wiliamsnorton1858@centurytel.net )

1 Like