Visiting in May/June - who/where can I visit?

Hey everyone - my husband and I will be coming to Britain and mainly Wales in May and June. For the first two weeks we will be traveling with his sister and her family, introducing them to the things we love there. We will be in South Wales for only a couple of days (May 18-19) and then have a cottage near Dolgellau for the next week. Since the trip is a gift for them, we will be deferring to them for the choices of things to do. (As you might expect, I’ve made them a map with LOTS of suggestions on it!)

We will take them to the airport on May 28th and then return to Wales, where we will stay an extra week. I would love to have a chance to meet up with some of the SSiW people I know from the forum while we’re there, either while the others are with us (if they want) or while we’re on our own. I haven’t yet made our arrangements for where to stay for that last week, so I’m really open about where we go and what we do. But I’ll need to make those decisions fairly soon!

My husband and I have been to Wales several times so we’ve seen a lot, but there are always more things to see. Plus new people to get together with! Does anyone have suggestions for me?

4 Likes

I’d be more than happy to show you around

1 Like

There are various ‘what’s on’ sites, but not much in May/June that I can find!

Do let us know if you make it to Caernarfon at any point… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, that’s pretty much guaranteed! Gwynedd is one of our favorite areas!

2 Likes

Have you been to Gower? Gorgeous area!

1 Like

Gower is certainly lovely, but very English speaking! If they happen to like Dr. Who or Torchwood, go to Rhossili Bay! Actually, that and Worm’s Head are very lovely even if you don’t recognise the view from various episodes of Dr. Who and the Old Rectory half way along the beach as the place Gwen and family were supposed to be staying in and which was shown being blown up! (I lost all credibility in many episodes, but blowing up a National Trust property really couldn’t be true!). I think a bit of a Harry Potter film was made there too, forget which!

Perhaps the Elan Valley or Devils Bridge on your way to Dolgellau?

If you like an old castle with stunning views and a mysterious tunnel, try Carreg Cennan Castle near Trapp, Llandeilo.

1 Like

Let me now if you’d like accommodation in the Llandysul area. I let out a room that sleeps two people through AirBnB and June is looking pretty free at the moment :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you have a link? I’d like to take Emma to Llandysul soon and giving some pennies to a SSiWer is appealing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I second this! I had a great weekend in and around Llandeilo. If you like gin there is a lovely little gin bar.

Here’s the link - Twin Room over the Teifi

It would be lovely to see you and Emma here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Sionned. My wife has suggested you will probably be interested in historic castles for your short stay in South Wales. Obviously you won’t have much time, but let us know your approximate route and between us all we could suggest some.

Incidentally, we live very close to the M4 Motorway near Swansea, as you know :slight_smile: so you would all be most welcome to drop in for a breather and disgled if you are passing that way.

By the way, you mention Britain. I’m sure that many of us would be more than happy to also point out somewhere to visit elsewhere (outside Wales) if needed.

Many thanks for the replies here so far! I do have a lot of castles and other places on the map that I made for my in-laws. Where we go on any given day will be decided by them, and probably depend on weather and whim at the time!

If anyone is curious, here is the general outline of our trip. (If you aren’t curious, just skip this paragraph!) We’ll fly into Manchester on May 14th (having left here on the 13th), pick up our rented vehicle and drive down to Stratford-upon-Avon. I expect we will all be somewhat jet-lagged so that should be a fairly short, easy drive. After seeing some sights there, we’ll stay outside Warwick that night and head to London the next morning, where they have friends. After two days there, we’ll head on to Salisbury and Stonehenge (one day) and then into South Wales (as mentioned above). We’ll stay in Cardiff one night, and in Kidwelly the next night, before heading north to our cottage near Dolgellau for the second week.

I haven’t actually planned out the third week (after my in-laws leave) nearly to that extent - just (probably) entirely in Wales and (hopefully) with some opportunities to meet up with other SSiWers. So do please keep those suggestions coming!

2 Likes

Well if you’re around the Llangollen/Ceiriog Valley/Berwyn Mountains/Chirk Castle sort of area I’d be more than happy to guide/gossip/supply freshly baked cakes etc![quote=“dee, post:13, topic:7613”]
Here’s the link - Twin Room over the Teifi
[/quote]

oooh, Myself and Mrs M feel like a couple of days away may be in order! looks like a great place to visit!

2 Likes

Do you mean you are planning to drive into London? It is an activity best avoided! Also did anyone suggest St Fagan’s for a visit? Then there’s the Big Pit museum.

Depends what you want to do in Cardiff. St Fagans is lovely, it’s slightly outside Cardiff, nice couple of hours - can be longer. I enjoy it. I’d say it’s a better trip than Cardiff Castle.

2 Likes

You’d be very welcome! I love having SSiWers come to stay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been known to spend the entire day there - from the minute they open the gates to when they close - and I still find something I missed when I go back the next time. Wonderful place!

3 Likes