Vocab for lesson 9 and grammar

Another one for @Courtenay I think.

Could we have the vocab for “That I need” and “That I want” please? It’s not present in the vocab on the SSiC lesson site. Also, lesson nine starts using “What I need” without any introduction. This should probably also be in the vocab. Is it “Pyth yw res dhymm”, I ask because the “yw” sounds a bit different and I wonder if it is the “eus” that has been mentioned. I’m aware that words are pronounced differently at times, so maybe it is “yw”.

Also, “That I need something” has “a neppyth”, but “That I need to say something” does not have the “of” added. I’m guessing that this is something similar to “perthi kov”. Your explanation of that was really helpful. Could you give an explanation here too?

I know that there are lots of mutation rules that I will have to master eventually, but can you explain why “dyski” mutates to “tyski” after “ow” but “kewsel” does not mutate after “ow”.

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I’m afraid it’s a few years since I did lessons 9 and 10 and I can’t remember the content very well, as that was where it got really hard without enough explanations!!

I’m pretty sure the words used there for “need” and “want” are “edhomm” and “hwans” respectively. Grammar-wise, they’re used a bit differently from “res” and “mynnes” (the verb in “my a vynn”). I will have to re-listen to the lesson when I have time and remind myself of which sentences they’re being used in.

I do know “Yma edhomm dhymm a neppyth” is one way of saying “I need something” — the “a” is there because it’s literally “I have a need of something.” (Actually, really literally it’s “There is a need to me of something.”) Whereas I’m pretty sure “I have a need to say something” would be “Yma edhomm dhymm leverel neppyth” — no “of” needed in either Cornish or English. As I said, though, I’ll have to go over the lesson again to be sure of what they’re actually saying.

I have a feeling the “eus” there is the error Pol posted about in another discussion, where he said “Pyth eus res dhymm” a couple of times where it should be “Pyth yw res dhymm”. I’m pretty sure if you used “edhomm” there it would take “eus”, simply because, well, it does. Fun Cornish trivia here: “yma”, “eus” and “yw” are all different forms of the exact same verb “to be”, which in its dictionary form is “bos”. Cornish has more forms of the verb “to be” than is strictly good for one’s sanity. You’ll get to that eventually, don’t worry. :flushed:

Because “ow” (for continuous verbs) causes a fourth state (hard) mutation, which changes “d” to “t” but doesn’t affect “k”. It also changes “b” to “p” and “g” to “k”. So “breusi” (to judge) becomes “ow preusi” (judging); “gwari” (to play) becomes “ow kwari” (playing). You do get used to it, don’t worry. :wink:

2 Likes

Your not kidding. I think without your help I would have become very disheartened. As it is I am really enjoying the lessons. I’m looking forward to finishing the course and starting the KDL correspondence course. Also when Klass An Hay start up, of buying Holyewgh An Lergh.

I’ve added the vocab to the lyrics for the track.

They are using Bos rather than Yma.

Does this also apply to “owth”?