Vocab for SSi Cornish

In RMC (Revived Middle Cornish) the statement "you’re not going to … " is introduced with ‹ny›, thus ‹ny wre’ta›. The apostrophe is optional since the 2014 SWF (Standard Written Form) Review, so both ‹wre’ta› and ‹wreta› are correct. So, it’s up to personal preference whether you wish to apostrophise. ‹Na wre’ta› would be used in a relative sentence, "He told me, that you weren’t going to … " ‹Ev a leveris dhymm na wre’ta … ›.

In the RLC (Revived Late Cornish) variety the distinction between ‹ny› and ‹na› is lost and ‹na› is used in both circumstances. You could see that as a “colloquial” form.

Dan

Aran, Courtenay,

“Official” SWF spelling has ‹pyth a vyn’ta› or ‹pyth a vynta›.

Dan

1 Like

@Elswyth Just saw your “likes” on the vocabulary lists in this thread — there’s now an official vocabulary list included on the webpage for each SSiC lesson, just underneath the audio player. :wink:

Now all we need is some more lessons… :grin:

4 Likes

Ah, I thank you for telling me. :slight_smile: I hadn’t been over to the Cornish lessons for some while and was having a look around here before going back to try them again. My brain is the foolish and very visual sort that is always trying to see words while it’s hearing or saying them, therefore when last I’d tried I was getting in a grand muddle far more often than, say, with the Welsh for which there was a list to keep my mind straight. From now on I should do better!

4 Likes

Just noticed that the official vocab list for lesson four has “Why do you have to? - Prag eus res dhis?”, whereas what they are actually saying is what @Courtenay said above, “Prag yth yw res dhis?”. Are these also both correct ways of saying this?

Mmmm… that might have changed between scripting and recording, perhaps - I seem to remember that a few things did - tagging @miketresidder @miketresidder-1 and @polhodge-1 just in case they see this… :slight_smile:

Dydh da dhywgh hwi,
Pol omma, yes Pol here, I am responsible for this cock-up. What happened was… back in 1980s Cornish speakers used yw/eus willy-nilly. It should be Pyth yw res? - always use short form, e.g. yw, with res and long form, e.g. eus
Res yw dhymm mos
Yma edhom dhymm mos
Hope this helps
btw I was at the Eisteddfod Llanrwst and heard the Archddrywydd compliment SSiW at Gorsedd.

3 Likes

Oh good — meur ras, Pol (and Aran for asking and Ella for posting). I’d been wondering about that too. Very helpful.

1 Like

Yew Pol!
Quick question - it is you on the Memrise course? Is it also Julia?
And thank you for putting me onto rumm ha prysk - went out and bought a bottle. There may have been some dancing too…
I love the courses you do - are there any more available??? Mar pleg?
Matt

1 Like

Meur ras! for the vocabulary posted here!

1 Like

I suspect that they are using Audacity, or something similar. With that it is very easy to cut and paste bits of sound files around. So Pol and Julia would not have to be together for the recording, and it would be easy to correct mistakes. Audacity is free to use, so if you want to have a play with it, just download it from the internet. It is extremely powerful, SSiC would only need a tiny fraction of its capabilities, but it is also very simple to use. Given the sound file of Pol saying all the phrases, and another one of Julia, and guidance of how long the gaps should be, it would only take a couple of days to create the whole of course two.

There are a few suggestions I have on its use though:

Once they start using it for the later lessons, there are times when the end of what Pol is saying is clipped off. Zoom the audio track in. Then it is easy to see where the start and end of the bit you want is. When you have selected what you want with the mouse, use the keyboard to nudge where the start and end is a tiny bit, to get it just right. Also play the start and end of the selection, before you cut it

The totally dead silence where the gaps are sounds flat and unnatural. The first lessons when an open mic is left recording silence sound much nicer. So just fill the gaps with a sound file of the mic recording silence. It’s easy to do, you just need one long silence recording and it takes seconds.

My last suggestion would push the release of any new course back a few weeks, but would be well worth it. Find someone who wants to do the course, and let them do it on their own first. A sort of beta tester. They would find all the glitches, and they could be fixed before the course is released.

Let’s hope there will be a new course soon.

2 Likes