Vocab questions that none of my dictionaries will answer!

Hi!

A couple of questions from the Rownd a Rownd posts that I’ve been receiving on Facebook:

What might ‘Daloni’ mean?

And would ‘penderfynol o ddalar’ mean something like ‘extremely determined’?

And finally (this is more than a couple of questions, I know), can anyone let me know the Welsh for ‘spring onions’?

Thanks!

1 Like

Daloni is a girls name. I’m not sure of its ‘meaning’ but I can check my name books when I get home from work.

I think “penderfynol o ddalar” is “determined to the end” - but I’m not 100% sure on that one.

There are a couple of names for spring onions in Welsh - sibolsyn or sibolsen (plural: sibols) and shibwnsyn (plural: shibwns)

2 Likes

Diddorol. These are close to the French “ciboule” and the Italian “cipollotto” = “spring onions” or “scallions”

I wonder if “daloni” could have been a typo or misreading of “daioni” = “goodness” “l” and “i” are easily confused

2 Likes

spring onions are called Jibbons in South Wales valleys

3 Likes

…or Latin caepula little onion - so sibolsyn/sen is a double diminutive really :slight_smile:

in some northern Dutch dialects onion is “siepel”, due to the influence it is said of Medieval monastery Latin schools, not dissimilar to what happened in Wales

3 Likes

And the sausages (chipolatas), of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@siaronjames is right, Daloni is a girl’s name, unless like @HuwJones mentions and there’s a typo and it’s meant to be daioni, which means goodness.

As for ‘penderfynol o ddalar’, I was wonderfing if there was meant to be spacing between ddal and ar, making it ‘penderfynol o ddal ar’, which would mean determined to hold on. Penderfynol is determined, dal is hold and ar is on.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I think that I may have read ‘daioni’ as ‘Daloni’ and so caused myself more confusion. Of course, I haven’t saved the context …

1 Like

I agree. I think I have read ‘daioni’ as ‘daloni’. Thanks for your help!

Diddorol, 'wir. I think I have misread the word here. Thanks!

Hi

Sorry if my replies to some of you have caused confusion - I’m still getting the hang of the page. I hope this one goes out to all equally. If not, my apologies!

Thanks to all for your insights. These are just the reasons I joined SSiW and I look forward to being in contact again. Next time, of course, I will keep the context of my questions to help more.

Hwyl
Ben

2 Likes

This is the first forum page I have used and I have no idea how to post one reply to all at once!

So, @siaronjames @CatrinLliarJones @RichardBuck @louis @HuwJones @tony-15

Hi

Sorry if my replies to some of you have caused confusion - I’m still getting the hang of the page. I hope this one goes out to all equally. If not, my apologies!

Thanks to all for your insights. These are just the reasons I joined SSiW and I look forward to being in contact again. Next time, of course, I will keep the context of my questions to help more.

4 Likes

No worries, Ben, it’s all good… :slight_smile: