Welsh 6 month course or subscribe?

I’ve finished the level 1 course on my phone app. What would be my best next step - subscribe and go onto level 2 or sign up for the 6 month course. How would they differ? What are the challenges and benefits I face if I sign up to either. Thank you in advance. Diolch yn fawr iawn.

1 Like

Sut mae!
For me personally, signing up for the 6mnth course has been the push I needed to ‘go public’ with my speaking. Without the support of the group and the practice we get from the ‘hangouts’ and ‘group video sessions,’ I don’t think I would have had the confidence or the courage and I wanted to speak Welsh REALLY badly ( did you notice I said ‘wanted’ as opposed to ‘want’ ( and it wasn’t intentional))? And that, is the difference it’s made for me!
I’m not fluent by any means but, I CAN and DO speak Welsh!
It’s a GREAT community!

4 Likes

As a counter-balance to Ali’s brilliant enthusiasm - I’d say it depends on how you’re feeling after Level 1 - if you’re confident that you’re starting to use your Welsh, and happy to carry on in the same way, then subscription is a fair bit cheaper…:slight_smile:

The 6 month course is mostly about getting you to work through the extra tasks that we’ve found will push people into successful usage on our 5 and 10 day intensives… if you’re confident that you can take that leap yourself, then you’re fine without it - if you think you need the push, then it would be a good match… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this information. Very interesting as I was wrestling with the same question. Does the 6 month course cover the same material and use the same methods as Levels 2 + 3? Or are there more written materials?

Another option could be subscribe then join the Welsh speaking practice Slack group. I have a subscription as a way of showing my appreciation to SSiW. Also I was lucky with the 6 month course I got a place for the introductory price.
If memory serves right the 6MWS covers levels 1 and 2.

1 Like

It covers the same material (as Levels 1 and 2) but it has an activity framework which puts people through the work that we’ve found triggers conversational confidence in our intensive residentials. But if you’re confident in your own learning, you can achieve the same results (a little more painfully but equally effectively) by getting yourself into 1-on-1 conversations as often as possible… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to do the 6 month Welsh course. I think its a brilliant idea. I have done level 1 twice in the last few years, but each time life has come along and prevented me carrying on. I think the 6 month course would be ideal as it will keep me on track, and I should, hopefully, end up with more confidence to take me forward speaking to people at the end of it. Anyway my query is if i complete the appication form now, when does it start?

1 Like

Hi bizzielizzie!
It starts, every Monday! It’s ongoing. So, if you sign up today, you should have your first email on Monday and, if you do your tasks every week and push yourself to join in with the group chats and one to one’s, you’ll be speaking to other people long before the six months is up. You’ll be joining a wonderfully supportive community. Your life will never be quite the same again, in a very positive way of course!

1 Like

Thanks. That’s great. I’ll sign up tonight.

2 Likes

I joined the 6-month course as a sort of kick up the “pen-ol” to get me speaking more outside the framework of the formal lessons.
Obviously it’s not cheap, and it doesn’t contain much material that you won’t get from monthly subscribing and accessing the challenges and lessons, but it adds a fun framework and is incredibly encouraging. It pesters you to do the assignments and won’t let you be lazy. It also gives you the feeling that you’re not alone, but rather doing it with others, as you (hopefully) join the chat groups available.
It won’t be suitable for everyone, but for me it’s been like a shot of adrenaline or a good cup of Roman espresso.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I’m just beginning the second week of the 6 month course. On Challenges 1 and 2 there was a vocabulary list, but there doesn’t seem to be one for Challenges 3 and 4. I found these very helpful to just refer to for quick confirmation any word that I wasn’t sure of. Have I missed the link, or are there not going to be any for the other lessons? .

Hi, are you using an app or the website? I’ve just checked and they’re definitely there on the website. Just click on the link ‘Vocabulary List’.

2 Likes

I’m going from the link in this mornings email. On the first two challenges it said vocabulary list directly under the lesson It’s not there on 3 and 4. I must be doing something wrong, but I don’t know what it is. Sorry.

This is what I see when I go to Challenge 3. Do you see something different?

1 Like

No. I’ve taken a screen shot but can’t see how to attach it it. i just get Challenge 3 and underneath ‘Mark as done.’

If you go to this link https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/level1/challenge3 is it the same?

No, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I got that for 1 and 2 but not for 3 and 4 I’ll use your link. Thank you. I don’t know what I’ve been doing wrong. Sorry to be a nuisance.

1 Like

No problem at all. You’ll need to click on the ‘Mark as done’ link to let us know when you’ve had a run through a challenge, but you can always do that in the email as well.

1 Like

It might be us, not you! @kinetic - can you have a squint at this? :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know what’s going on here - I released the new fancy page for the 6 Month and 2 Year courses, and the links in your emails are now linking to this rather than the normal lesson page. But I hadn’t included a link to the vocab popup on the new page. I’ve included one now - you should see it immediately below the “Done / Mark as done” box. :slight_smile:

1 Like