Welsh - a new design

Nope, Unfortunatelly not. The switch is dead. It’s more like graphic checkmark which has no function at all.

It might be due to temperatures and all is melting. It’s 10:30+ pm here and it’s still 28 °C outside and cca 30 °C in the house. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Well I don’t intend to switch back though, @AnnaC asked for that switch and I tried to help her however realized the checkmark has no functionality though. Have just checked once again just right now. :slight_smile:

@Tatjana I think you have misunderstood…I am just asking to be given the option to try the new layout as Aran said in the initial post:

[quote=“aran, post:1, topic:2820”]Ifan will give you an on-off button in your profile settings
[/quote]

Maybe I should have said “button” instead of “switch”. I do hope it can be switched back and forth, for testing purposes, but I don’t have the ability to try that until Ifan sets the button up for me.

But thank you for trying to help! Perhaps in doing so you have uncovered an issue. Hope it cools off there so you don’t melt :sweat_smile:

Hello
Just to say that much as I like the new layout and colour scheme, I am not able to turn it off either. A pity as on my kindle I am not able to see the play line now and hence don’t know where I am in the lesson and am not able to use playback to find a bit I am not sure of. Anyone else have the same problem? It cannot be the heat here!
Anne

1 Like

I did, sorry.

That’s the problem. It can be switched on but not off. Something obviously went wrong but I’m otherwise quite satisfied with new loook and feel. :slight_smile:

Thank you but they say it’ll be as hot until Thursday. And, well, it wouldn’t hurt if I melt a bit. - hehe

So we have the same isue then.

No problem, Tatjana! Your helpfulness made you discover a bug, which Anne Evans has confirmed. That’s a good thing. And, I’m sure it will be fixed soon :slight_smile:

Dw i’n hapus i wybod ti’n ei hoffi fe. Meaning, I’m happy to know you like the new design. I’m sure my spelling and grammar must be wrong, but I gave it a try :blush: (Corrections always welcome!)

1 Like

Diolch!

And this all looks fine. I can clearly understand what you’ve written. Atempt successful in my eyes.

1 Like

OK, now, I play tech “game” obviously better then “word” one and I just cruised around new design on the site and discovered this (what is actually good and I love it though)

• @Kinetic already did his work and put all the links on other languages learning pages to the “Other languages” forum (what I’ve suggested in that category of the forum some days ago). All links work perfectly well and lead to the right category (tested them all).
  • Suprisingly (but not bad in my eyes) when you switch to new design its new design for ENTIRE page no matter of language you choose. I started to love new design so have no objections here at all!
  • The color of the sites (all sites) are the one you choosed when switching to new design and is not adjustable to each language separately (what I thought you might be a bit puzzled about so that’s why I’m mentioning this).
  • So, instead of only new shiny Spanish and Welsh design you have “alllanguages” new and shiny layout.
  • The check (or switch) to switch back to old layout doesn’t work yet.

Well, I thought you’d want to know some of those things before looking startlet into the pages surprised with new thingys. :slight_smile:

I don’t seem to have the button to switch to new design. Can I have it please? Also if you have set it up it could be that my android tablet has struck again in the awkward awards

Hope you’ve looked at the right place. You have to go to “learn” or FAQ page and from there to your profile. Clicking on your name in dropdown menu you choose “Acount settings” and in “Profile” section right at the bottom you have checkbox and it says “Use new layout for the whole website”.

Well, I have new layout now but in old the checkbox is at the same place so you can navigate there aswell.

Hope it helps.

No, only the people whom they have put it on have it. I don’t have it either. MAy I please get it?

Yes it was said that way but it was also said that “beta test” for all comes out prety soon. :slight_smile: Hope you get access before that though.

Thank you everyone who’s flagged up the switch not taking you back into the old design - with all specific points like that, it would be great if you could tag @kinetic (by doing the @ sign and then kinetic) so that Ifan gets a note to have a look at your comment :sunny:

OK, a few things.

@theresacorbett and @rickyfreeman, you should both now have the checkbox.

Secondly, the checkbox is now once again untickable, so you can turn the layout off again (it originally was like that, but a bug I fixed elsewhere accidentally broke this! :)). Sorry about that!

@tatjana: you mentioned in another thread (I forget where) about an “alignment problem” with Challenge 1 of Level 1 Welsh. The intro is actually supposed to be on that page (that’s where it is on the old layout), but it was being labelled as a listening practice by mistake. This should now be fixed.

2 Likes

@Kinetic I think my request for the button got missed in yesterday’s flurry of posts…if you could add it for me when you get a chance, I’d be very grateful. Diolch!

1 Like

:slight_smile:

@Kinetic So did I but I’m glad you noticed that. To be honest I even forgot what exactly did I write. :slight_smile:

Diolch.

Thank you for sorting out the switch. Anne

yes, I have it. Thank you

@AnnaC you now have the switch too, sorry I missed it :slight_smile:

No problem, Ifan! I just clicked it on, and the website looks great at first glance. I’ll have more time to look around later in the day. Diolch yn fawr! :star:

1 Like

I love the new site - very clean, crisp, and neat. It looks much more polished and modern than the old site (although the old site was just fine, and I had no complaints!) Glad we have color options; I made mine green, because the red is a bit too much for me. I found a few issues as I went exploring, and then discovered that @faithless78 already noted most of them :slight_smile: But here are a couple of things…

On the FAQ page, under “Should I Learn Northern or Southern Welsh?”, the link to the thread on the old forum takes me to a page that says I have to sign in to that forum. My login for the new forum doesn’t work (I didn’t belong back when the old forum was in use) so I can’t see the relevant thread.

Challenges > Weekly Practices > Listening: It was very helpful on the old site to have the date of the last update listed; it’s not shown here. Also, the boxes below the “NEXT: SPEAKING” box that say “Practices: 1, 2” imply to me that there are two listening practices, since it is the Listening page, but really one of those is the listening practice and the other is the speaking practice. (Same setup occurs on the Speaking page.) I find it a little confusing, but maybe that’s just me. I’m easily confused :blush:

I’m happy that it seems like it has finally figured out that I want it to go to Welsh when I click “Learn”. Since I started here two months ago, it has always defaulted to Spanish. This morning I took a peek at Cornish, and then it decided that THAT was the default. But I think tonight I’ve finally convinced it that I’m learning Welsh :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who designed and coded the new site…fantastic job! :star:

1 Like