Welsh dialects

Just seen this rather fun interactive British-Irish Dialect Quiz from the NYTimes
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
The map based results on Twitter from those who’ve completed the quiz seem surprisingly accurate for some, e.g. focused on North Wales or Manchester etc etc
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1096378624654090240
(The map I got was scattered across SE, E & SW England, but with the comment “some of your answers were a little odd for people who live here” - not suprising I suppose, being a bit of a mongrel family-wise…)

3 Likes

Thanks for the link John, that was fun - got me pretty much spot on! (S.Wales/Goucestershire)

1 Like

Fun quiz - I was very happy it pegged me strongly to Cardiff because no-one ever identifies me as Welsh from my accent.

Hah…

Given that my father’s roots are N Ireland/Ulaidh/Ulster and my mother’s (quietly) involve Nottingham…not entirely off the map…

That was quite fun . It got it spot on for me , NW Wales

I’m really sorry - It was a girl called Neris, from Ysgol Cymraeg Casnewydd that was talking at about 58 minutes. The article starts at about 56:00 into the programme.

2 Likes

Looks like I’m either Irish or Detroiter. :sunglasses: :laughing:
Torino is (still) also known as the Italian Motor City, so it somewhat makes sense. :grin:

US%20NYTimes%20quiz%20%20copia

3 Likes

Surprisingly very accurate and good fun. Thank you John.

1 Like

Very surprised how accurate it was to be honest. It drew a wide red arc from Newport to Aberystwyth (the real cultural capital of Wales?) and highlighed Swansea with a little bit of south Pembrokeshire being orange. Nothing at all outside of that.

1 Like

Amazingly accurate! Mine came out as Cardiff and I’m actually from Newport just down the road. Apparently it was “tip top” and “daps” that gave me away :grin: Also dropping the letter “t” from English words seems quite common among young Newportonians these days :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

The test is also really interesting for me and I guess for anyone who learnt English as a second language and never lived in the UK.
I studied it at school, and mostly learnt it from songs, books, movies, magazines, friends and people I met, traveling around and more recently Internet.
But my sources are from everywhere English is spoken, not a specific area.

I did it three times including all the additional questions and it’s really curious to see that I consistently appear as Irish - even if mildly, and from different areas (but mostly Sligo). :open_mouth: :grinning:

4 Likes

You’re almost a Galway Girl Gisella. :wink:. I’ve done it several times and it’s pretty consistent when I give slightly different variations.

1 Like

I think its clever and its the combination of words that pins you down - I don’t think one word would say where you’re from. Like you, I picked “daps”, which is also said in Bristol and North Somerset, but other words like “pop” seem to be popular in what seems to match mining areas like South Wales, Yorkshire and the North East of England, but not in the English South West. I wonder if that might match where Corona and the pop vans were most common in the old days?

1 Like

Ah; you could do worse than to hail from Sligo or Louth. Even John Lackland (the rotter) saw the value of her.

1 Like

MoTowner, eh? You could start a girl band… :wink:

1 Like

I grew up saying “daps” and “pop”, but (like @siaronjames I believe), I was born in Gloucester. (Might have got “pop” from northern (England) parents)

2 Likes

Oh…it’s a little something that the Roman’s were big on sharing with the world at sword-point :skull:

2 Likes