Welsh Dreams

This thread is so far beyond my understanding that I’m totally boggled just by thinking about it. My dreams haven’t included situations, people or speech since I was a little lad. You seem to be able to remember things that happened in a dream and other things that really happened. I can imagine something happening when I’m awake but I am aware that it is unreal. How do you cope with having to distinguish between your dreams and reality?

My first dream where I spoke Welsh I was trying to order a cheese sandwich - something I blame SSIW in its entirely for!

You seem to be able to remember things that happened in a dream and other things that really happened. I can imagine something happening when I’m awake but I am aware that it is unreal. How do you cope with having to distinguish between your dreams and reality?

I don’t know… The brain just seems to do that on its own! But usually only after waking up… At the time you I don’t know - if you do realise sometimes you have a lucid dream where you can control it - fly around and things.

I have noticed memories of things that happen in dreams seem to fade faster than real memories - not always but almost always.

2 Likes

It’s a little bit scary sometimes because in the dream, it seems real - even the situations that you wouldn’t be prepared for in real life!

I’ve had at least one dream where I “woke up” and realised that I must have been dreaming… only to later wake up again and realise that the first “awakening” must have been inside the dream as well!

Even the strangest things seem normal to me in dreams, though – such as being able to fly.

Sometimes in a dream, I wonder how I managed to get into a particular situation, but I usually just shrug and carry on, accepting the reality is it presents itself to me there.

2 Likes

Oh, no! Not for me. I’m glad there’s no-one in my dreams. No speech, nothing from the real world occurs. I wouldn’t cope with anything that could lead to confusion. My brain’s not up to that.

Did you see Mike Myers in Goldmember? There’s a scene like that at the start where you see a film crew being the subject of another film crew, etc. etc. Digrif iawn. Ti ddim yn medru gwybod beth ydy realiti. Pan ti’n meddwl ti’n deall ti’n darganfod ti’n anghywir.
(I hope that means ‘Very funny. You cannot know what is reality. When you think you understand you discover that you’re wrong.’ All corrections welcome!!!)

1 Like

Yesterday was a particularly frustrating SSiW lesson (Level 1 Challenge 13… all the “young woman” and “old man” were refusing spectactularly to stay in my mind as chunks and to come forth when called for) – and @aran could obviously read my mind, because at the end of the lesson, he said, “Don’t worry if it seems that you can’t remember everything, this is perfectly normal, your brain is still trying to sort everything out in this new language you are learning”. (So I hoped he would forgive me for the cursing before I got to the end of the lesson.)

And during the night it was apparently still trying to sort things out, because I had my second dream in Welsh – this time, I was in a beginners Welsh class in school for some reason (among various other illogical and unconnected situations in the dream), and after class, the teacher – having picked up somehow that I already knew a little Welsh – decided to address me in Welsh to say something.

My first reaction was, Ny gonvedhav!, before I realised, “That’s Cornish. I hope he understands Cornish, because I have the feeling that a lot of the Cornish I stopped studying actively two years ago is going to come back in Welsh class.”

So I gave it another try: Dw i ddim ‘di dallt ger byd, be’ ddidest ti.

On my way out of class, I realised that ger was still Cornish and the Welsh might have been gair, and that I probably should have addressed him as chi since he was a teacher, but I didn’t know the right verb ending for that and would be’ ddidest chi be understandable?

But I figured/hoped that learners would be “cut some slack” for using ti if doing so meant they could use Welsh at all…

Still stressful, and I still didn’t understand a thing he said to me! But I used a Welsh phrase that actually made sense in the situation, so that’s progress I suppose…

Also, should I really have used chi or is Welsh moving towards using chi only for plural, and ti for singular, regardless of the person you’re talking to, as in Scandinavia? I thought I had read somewhere that it’s mostly only older people these days that insist on chi.

Or to put it differently and more specifically, if I went to Wales and addressed people there (whom I didn’t know) with ti, would they be offended?

1 Like

Well I’ve occasionally had flashes of Welsh in dreams but I do on occasions drop off with headphones on and lessons still playing, sometimes suddenly woken a while later by an unexpected phrase or Aran with ‘many, many congratulations’ telling me that I’ve just subliminally done brilliantly while I’ve slept! (I used to drift off to the shipping forecast, now it’s @CatrinLliarJones and @aran rather than Tyne, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight…)

3 Likes

There are, I think, two threads on this. Let’s see if I can link them!!
Click for one
and
click for the other
Hope that is useful!

3 Likes

Oh yes, always happy to forgive a few swears…:wink:

It’s clear that you’ve got some excellent subsconscious stuff going on there… :slight_smile:

That seems like a distinct downgrade - I can only apologise! And offer you:

(you’re listening for Dogger, Fisher, Finesterre, Rockall, Shannon…:wink: )

2 Likes

Thank you @henddraig for those threads! I’ll have a read through them :slight_smile:

I was reading through one of those threads, and it reckoned that children would always address their parents with chi, not ti (at least traditionally). I remember when I was asking my (fluent, but claims she’s not) super-traditional Gran about it, she said that I should use ti if talking to her, as we’re family (and with the implication that’s how she addressed her grandparents years ago too). Would this be a dialectal thing, or am I slightly misunderstanding that thread?

1 Like

More of a personal thing - you’ll certainly hear both… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When you say both, its a shame you don’t mean mean mixing them up!! :wink:

I constantly say things like 'dach chi isio llefrith efo dy de?

1 Like

We were wary of getting the tl/chi thing wrong in Wales and a very kind lady explained to us that her husband has two sisters one of whom is older than her so she uses chi to her and the other is younger than her so she uses ti to her, whereas her husband uses ti to both as he is older than both of them.

She also said that if you think someone looks older than you and you use chi when they are actually younger they will take it as being respectful. On the other hand, if you use ti to someone who is actually older than you they will take it as flattering. So her advice is to use ti or chi where it is clearly one way or the other and not worry at all if you make a mistake when the situation is not as clear.

3 Likes

I’m bumping this thread because I honestly don’t know what to think. I am a bit puzzled. :slight_smile:

I sometimes get in short snooze infront of PC at this time of the night and usually I dream something. And I’ve just woken from one of such snoozes dreaming in Welsh.

It was strange. We (by which I don’t know who else, apart from me, that “we” really was) were going to the top of one mountain. It was very steep and rocky and when we finally came somewhat to the top there was chasm on the other side. Along with climbing we recited some kind of Czech love poem in Welsh and there was a cuple in love with us but their love was (obviously) forbidden. The poem we recited ended with cuple throwing themselves into the chasm and while the ending was recited that cuple literally did that thing - jumped into that chasm. However, as they were jumping over the edge, there was no siriousness in all this not from that cuple not from us standing and watching …

Strange, strange …

3 Likes

Finally a second fully Welsh dream (well there was a man who only spoke English, but he was nice :O) ). We were all back at bwtcamp, but this time at Aran & Catrin’s home, they lived in a huge labyrinth of a house, surrounded by acres of maze like, but beautiful gardens to get lost in. One day we were taken down to Aran’s boat (their grounds extend to a fjord that leads to The Menai Straits) and we had to row across to Ynys Mon, but blind ( he hadn’t blindfolded us, but we had lost the power of sight by hud a lledrith)
It was lovely, being fully back in beautiful Welsh again! Yet also difficult to get back to sleep afterwards :O(

6 Likes

That sounds like a nice house!

Now I feel sad that we have neither a labyrinth or a fjord…:wink:

I’ve had a few bilingual dreams recently, where the language keeps switching fairly quickly, presumably because my brain is finally integrating things? Does anyone else do this?

2 Likes

It’s a common staging post - and a very important sign… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

1 Like

That is so cool Y_Ddraig_Las! I’ve only had one dream where I woke and was conjugating, “mae gen i”, “mae gen ti,” “mae gynnoch chi”…etc.

Now I have another cool thing to look forward to!

2 Likes

I’ve had a few dreams which had something to do with Welsh. Let’s see what I can actually remember. :thinking:

About two years ago, I had a dream about people speaking Welsh, Didn’t even have a plot, it was just people talking. And in the dream, Welsh sounded impossibly beautiful and flowing. This was before I’d actually heard Welsh, I’d only seen it and looked at a rough pronunciation guide, so my brain was basically just making things up.
Oh, almost forgot. I was in school with a couple of people I follow on social media. One of them was sitting next to me, and her sister was the teacher. We were supposed to work on a writing assignment, and then she would tell us, in Welsh, about an upcoming event. The dream ended before she ever got to speak Welsh, though.
Not long ago, I dreamt I was talking to a guy that I found creepy or annoying, or something. I had it in my head that if a large man came over, the guy would be intimidated and go away. My fictional boyfriend Dyfydd was walking by, and I tried to get his attention without alerting the unpleasant guy. But I didn’t know the Welsh word for ‘man’, so I just told him “Cymro fawr,” in hopes he would understand and bring someone in to scare the annoying guy off. (Said fictional boyfriend was a skinny-looking fellow, so he didn’t fit the bill.) Think the dream ended around that time, though.