Welsh Learners in the Solent Area

Not to worry Emma. It is just a lunchtime meet, at the moment, as we discovered that Steak and Eggs and I literaly work across the road from each other, and Gary S lives nearby. Though I have a feeling that this may be the acorn from which mighty oaks will grow. :grinning:

2 Likes

Just found this group, I live on the Island and am pleased to see Iā€™m not the only one! Only just started on the course so will be a while before Iā€™m up to conversations!

1 Like

i was on the Island a couple of weeks ago to do parkrun at Ryde. Iā€™m yet to have a Welsh conversation with anyone other than my computer.

For anyone whoā€™s noticed that I keep changing the venue (now on third edit), no Iā€™m not trying to avoid everyone, Just brain meltdownā€¦I blame @aran

Ah I live in Ryde! No me neither, just spend a lot of time talking to myself! :sweat_smile:

No Natalie, youā€™re certainly not the only one. Give a shout when youā€™re ready for a short chat, maybe on Skype? It only has to be for 5 or 10 minutes initially. I know what itā€™s like taking those first stepsā€¦

Hi Alan nice to know Iā€™m not the only one down here! Thank you that would be good, yes itā€™s daunting taking those first steps.

1 Like

I canā€™t make the lunchtime meet-up today but Iā€™m interested in any others. Iā€™ve been working in Caerwynt (Winchester) for over a year and will be moving down from Cambridgeshire later this year. Hwyl!

We had a successful lunchtime session on Wednesday (31st July) and are planning to have another on 7th August In Portsmouth. There was myself @Garys and @steakandeggs If anyone else would like to come, please post here and Iā€™ll keep you updated as to where and the time (probably 1pm)

1 Like

Hi Andrew! Weā€™d love to have you alongā€¦ So far itā€™s been a case of make it up as we go along. Bit like life thenā€¦
Good luck with the move!
There is a group that meet near Winchester - this is the entry in the weekly email:-
Winchester - FORTNIGHTLY on odd weeks of the year, Thurs, 7pm, The Cart and Horses, in London Rd, Kings Worthy, Winchester, SO23 7QN (Contact mikebrown )

Hi guys, would someone mind explaining where it is that weā€™re meeting today please? Not sure how to find itā€¦:pleading_face:

Hey Natalie, as a long-term SSiWer, i can see that you probably havenā€™t realised yet that once you get past the first challenge, you can have a conversation, even though youā€™ll be a little short of topicsā€¦!
I used to rethink every sentence in order to say what I wanted using words that I knew at the timeā€¦
As @AlanP said, Skype is good news!
Pob lwc!!

Itā€™s in the building at the end of Cambridge Road on the corner where it joins the gyratory system and which backs onto the United Services recreation ground. The entrance is nearly opposite the Co-op in the student union building.
I donā€™t know where the Chaplaincy centre is within the building.
See you there at one.
S&E

Lovely, ta!!

Hi Gary yes I really must sort Skype out, Iā€™ve not used it for a few years. Thank you for your encouragement, I make up sentences to the dog and slip in the English when I donā€™t know the word! Iā€™m off to North Wales next month so Iā€™m hoping to try it out then! Diolch yn fawr iawn

Natalie, donā€™t hope, just do it!!! A trip to North Wales? Heavenā€¦
Anyway, Iā€™m hoping that two colleagues @rhiannon_in_sussex and her husband may be able to join us at some stage!
Iā€™m looking forward to our third meeting next week.

Another good meeting today, and I believe we may have the seedlings of a regular weekly meeting. We have an offer of a regular spot in the chaplaincy, at the University in Portsmouth (the administratorā€™s Mam is from Splott). Free tea/coffee, bring your own lunch. Normally meet at 1pm-2pm, and can comfortably seat up to at least 10. Please let me know if youā€™re interested.

1 Like

Yes heaven indeed!
Goodluck with the meetings. I work full time but maybe one day I can make it to one, fingers crossed.

Hi Natalie, did you know that thereā€™s a meeting this Saturday in Portsmouth between 1 and 4 pm?

Let me know if you want something adding to the list in the weekly newsletter :slight_smile:

2 Likes