Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

A young, joy formidable?

Yes indeed. Circa 2005ish? Tricky Nixon later morphed into Sidecar Kisses and then The Joy Formidable, via Rhydian’s side project Stitches.

Yes, I think since Geraint originally broadcast this appeal, Brechiau Hir have developed a much heavier sound. Considering their origins a decade or so ago in the Cardiff Indie Pop band Just Like Frank, their journey has been one of increasing and deepening heaviness. By the year after next, I predict that they’ll be a Death Metal band. :smile:

Thanks very much for this, I was reading the poem just last week, but had no idea of the musical setting. It brings it to life. Thought others may like the words and translation as set out in A.O.H Jarman’s translation of Y Gododdin:

Pais Dinogad

Pais Dinogad, fraith, fraith,
O grwyn balaod ban wraith.
Chwid, chwid, chwidogaith!
Cochanwn, gochenyn wythgaith.
Pan elai dy dad di helia,
Llath ar ei ysgwydd, llory yn ei law,
Ef gelwi gŵn gogyhwg:
Giff, Gaff; daly, daly, dwg, dwg!
Ef lleddi bysg yng nghorwg
Mal ban lladd llew llywiwg.
Pan elai dy dad di i fynydd
Dyddygai ef pen i iwrch, pen gwythwch, pen hydd,
Pen grugiar fraith o fynydd,
Pen pysg o Raeadr Derwennydd.
O’r sawl yd gyrhaeddai dy dad di â’i gigwain,
O wythwch a llewyn a llwynain,
Nid angai oll ni fai oradain.

Dinogad’s Smock

Dinogad’s smock, pied, pied,
It was from martens’ skins that I made it.
Wheed, wheed, a whistling!
I would sing, eight slaves sang.
When thy father went a-hunting,
A spear on his shoulder, a club in his hand,
He would call the nimble hounds,
Giff, Gaff; catch, catch, fetch, fetch!
He would kill a fish in his coracle
As a lion kills its prey.
When thy father went on the mountain,
He would bring back a roe-buck, a wild boar, a stag,
A speckled grouse from the mountain,
A fish from Rhaeadr Derwennydd.
Of all those that thy father reached with his lance,
Wild boar and lynx and fox,
None escaped which was not winged.

Can’t guarantee that there are no typing errors - Enjoy!

The video/music has obviously used a lot of artistic licence - you will here yan tan tethera in the track, but that isn’t in the words of the lullaby and a lot of extras on the welsh as well - so an interpretation would be more appropriate description, but sounds really good.

Beautiful…

I’ve been really encouraged to find so much Welsh Language music on youtube. I never even knew this existed. Welsh really is the language of heaven, as this beautiful track, Du Ydi’r Eira - Gwyneth Glyn, proves:

I am feeling a bit like that today myself, what wonderful words. Wow

And here is a hwntws track

BTW, I finally met fellow YouTuber Ffarout at the weekend. Fittingly, we were both queuing at the bar at Gwobrau y Selar and they recognised me by my limited edition Recordiau Neb t-shirt. We had a great chat about YouTube and the great shame that is us, private individuals, having to archive culturally valuable music in a legal grey area because of lack of interest/resources from anyone else.

Ffarout’s channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo-YN_uFlOeq5oYChcgCTsw
And mine is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsi6g7MmKOVvXFLEpbltFOg