Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

Sorry. This video obviously was put off as it says it’s not available (or isn’t available just for me being outside UK what could happen though).

No, I fear that is not the one, but thanks very much for posting it anyway. It’s quite nice. Just not the song I heard.

About what time did the song play? Perhaps we could have a listen on BBC iPlayer and find out (I would listen to the whole show but it’s 3 hours long and I’m starting work soon!)

1 Like

This is it, I believe:

1 Like

It is indeed, Rob. Diolch yn fawr iawn am y help.

I’m sorry, I didn’t see this earlier. I wasn’t even aware one could listen to programs that had already aired; I always listen to the live feed. I appreciate your suggestion regardless. Thanks very much.

1 Like
3 Likes

adding to this thread which I’ve enjoyed trawling through:

3 Likes

This is a real blast from the past, but I have only just discovered Ryan Davies. This one is rather charming especially for those of us of a certain age:

Rhywle Draw Dros yr Enfys

Someone has posted the lyrics, although I don’t think they are 100% correct (as in, don’t quite reflect what was sung).

Edit: I’ve now had chance to read a little more about him and sample some more of his work.

Such a great talent - such a great loss. :frowning:

3 Likes

Must admit, I don’t listen to that much Welsh music (or much of any music) these days, but the series “Sesiwn Fach” is a little gem I think.

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like today’s edition as it seemed just a little out of the ordinary, but in fact it was fantastic:

See what you think.

(Currently listening to the Eisteddfod edition which I saved at the time and forgot to listen to. Also excellent)

1 Like

I saw Ghazalaw in Brecon a week and a half ago, and they were astonishing. :smiley:

1 Like

Really quite enjoying this one ATM…

5 Likes

Amazing sound from a Russian folk group and they do a good job of the pronunciation in Welsh - particularly in the second clip. I agree that Plethyn have a great sound and the female vocalist Linda Healey(Griffiths) has a strong pure voice. She performed solo and as part of Plethyn in the Noson Lawen at the National Eisteddfod this year. Plethyn’s harmonies are outstanding. If you like Tan yn Llyn, try Hiraeth yn Iwerddon and Cân Melingell. Other great long term Welsh folk performers include Dafydd Iwan ( Yma O Hyd, I’r Gâd), Ar Log ( Yn Iach i ti Gymru, Y Deryn Pur, Y Dderwen Ddu) and Mynediad am Ddim ( Fllat Huw Puw, Merch Tŷ Cyngor). I also like Bryn Fôn, who is not a folk singer but has a good vocal range and a broad repertoire ( Ceidwad y Goleudy, Llythyrau Tyddyn y Gaseg, Cofio dy Wyneb) I respond also to the haunting voices of female singers in Scottish Gaelic ( Julie Fowlis and Karen Matheson) and Irish ( Altan, Mary Black, Danu). All of these performers are readily available on i-tunes.

2 Likes

Wow, this is a really great song, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ysgol Sul’s ep is out today, listening to it right now it’s sounding really good! https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/ysgol-sul/id964562856
https://soundcloud.com/ysgol-sul/dwi-ar-dan

4 Likes

I really like this track and the vid, although my Cymraeg isn’t good enough to understand much of it!

2 Likes

Don’t worry about it. TRB famously* utilised nonsense lyrics, some of which weren’t even proper words.

*For certain values of “famous”.

1 Like

Yah, to be honest, video is a bit weird too. :slight_smile:

There was a fun scene in Pobol y Cwm a couple of months ago with Colin dancing around and singing Ysgol Sul’s ‘Aberystwyth yn y glaw’. I’ll give this a listen at the weekend. Thanks for the link.

2 Likes

just in case you haven’t seen it…Gwenno performs again at Hebden Bridge on 23/01

2 Likes