Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

I’ve found a site that aims to collect and archive Welsh folk songs. There’s one in particular that I would love to learn to sing. I’ve tried searching for guitar chords or tabs but couldn’t find them. Can anyone here help? The song is called Blodau’r Cwm: https://songs.trac.wales/blodaur-cwm
Diolch ymlaen llaw!

3 Likes

How much I love these calm and beautifully expressive songs :musical_score:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I love this and they’re coming to Clwb Ifor in October!

1 Like

And why hasn’t anyone put the amazing Adwaith on here yet?

4 Likes

Yes, they’ve been on here a few times, but I spoilt it by comparing them to All Saints :smile:

I’ve posted Adwaith songs up here at least twice, Gareth. Are you going to be at the Indyfest thing next weekend, BTW?

Sorry, I didn’t look far enough back!, Yes, are you?

I don’t know yet. Bit of a complicated weekend coming up… :confused:

I’ve only just found this so am very late in replying. I play the Northumbrian pipes so was very interested to hear these. Diolch yn fawr

2 Likes

Probably one for you to help me with @robbruce
I liked the Welsh version of the Beatles “Across the Universe”, which has had a few plays on Radio Cymru. I can’t find it on the usual internet videos. Possibly by a band with a name sounding vaguely like ukulele.

Ar draws y gofod peth (across the Universe)
With the chorus lyric something like:
Does na ddim peth/aeth newid fy fydd (Nothing’s gonna change my world)

It’s stuck in my head now,

1 Like

Here you go…

2 Likes

Thanks, Rob. You’re a star!

1 Like

Is there an equivalent of Scotland’s Julia Fowlis on the Welsh front? Big fan of the Celtic revival/folk genre (featuring emblematically Celtic instruments and stylings, such as pipes, whistles and fiddles), but frequently find myself redirected to the Gaelic musical realm in this vein. I’ve noticed that the majority of entries in Eisteddfods are of the modern pop/rock/ballad or choral type, often with piano and guitar accompaniment-- is this a fairly accurate characterization?

*side note: That the bagpipe, among other elements, seems to have survived in the folk repertoires of historic Brythonic colonies in Brittany (modern Bretagne) and Britonia (modern Galicia) but not in Wales strikes me as something of a peculiarity. Particularly in light of:
1.) Wales’ geographic proximity and longstanding ties (first ancestral and then through contact) to the Gaelic cultural sphere located immediately to her north and west, to say nothing of the historic contribution of immigrant Irishmen who have relocated to her shores by the tens of thousands.
2.) The impressive persistence of her distinctive language throughout the centuries, and robustly so, right at the gates of the Anglo-Saxon heartland (Scottish, Irish and Manx Gaelic enjoyed the benefit of geographic isolation but have nonetheless endured a less auspicious fortune)
3.) And of course, last but not least, the centrality of the performing arts to the Welsh social memory and communal cultural identity throughout the ages.

We might expect each of these points to reinforce those folk elements in the Welsh repertoire, but the apparent reality remains something of an enigma to me.

I’m not really ‘up’ on the folk scene, or Julia Fowlis’ music, but there are plenty of Welsh folk singers and bands.
The ones that spring to (my) mind first are Ar Log, Sian James, Pigyn Clust, 9 Bach, Calan, Ryland Teifi … but there are plenty more.
I wouldn’t say the majority of Eisteddfod musical entries are pop/rock or choral although a lot are. Apart from the Cerdd Dant competitions in particular which are usually folk songs (although often accompanied by piano or harp rather than pipes/whistles and fiddles) and seen in the pavilion, whereas many of the folk players are to be found in the Ty Gwerin.

Not all that many Welsh bands playing pipes, although Bob Delyn use the Breton bombard in some of their tracks.

2 Likes

Not that I know anything, but I would say that folk music is still big in Wales, especially if we include bands who don’t sing exclusively in the Welsh language. Obviously the Harp is the national instrument of Wales along with the Welsh Pipes. I admit that the pipes don’t get the airing that they should.

Since listening to Radio Cymru, I’ve been surprised at how much folk music is played, particularly in the mornings. I can’t really think of any other BBC radio station that is so awash with folk music outside of it’s dedicated folk programmes.

Going back to names, a few more to add are Mary Hopkin and her daughter, Jessica Lee Morgan; The Moniars, Elin Flur, Georgia Ruth, the Henessys, etc etc. Can we include The Gentle Good, Joy Formidable etc? I’m going to be pushy and say that my friends: Barlow Cree deserve a mention, and finally for now - who doesn’t love Max Boyce (now and again).

Sorry to but in again - I thought that Siaron had mentioned Meic Stevens, we cant miss him out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Siaron and John! I have listened to some of the artists you named and in the process of checking out the others. I do hope that the Celtic genre/instruments get cultivated more prominently alongside other styles in the Welsh repertoire, particularly at Eisteddfodau and among the youth of Wales. Let’s call it “Brythonic revival”? :wink:

I’d like to add “4 Yn Y Bar” to your list, for me they are exemplary. Two of my favorite Welsh tunes by them are linked below–enthralling!

3 Likes

Folk- ish at the moment I’m listening to

Calan

Bob Delyn a’r Ebillion

Sorella

Gwilym Bowen Rhys

Brigyn

Allan yn y Fan

3 Likes

Also as @JohnYoungsays there’s doesn’t seem to be quite the ‘split’ between folk and pop/rock/other than there is elsehwere.

Happy pop-ish bands like Eden sing folk stuff ike Hen Ferchetan

2 Likes