Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bhwbcw

dyma cyfweliad gan gwilym bowen rhys, mor ddiddoral os fyddi di’n licio’i waith, ac hen ganeon hanesyddol cymraeg. can ffab sy’n ei galw ‘taith y caddi’, ella fydd hi’n engraifft gynnar o wenglish? mor ddoniol :slight_smile:

here’s an interview by gwilym bowen rhys, very interesting if you like his work and old historical welsh folk songs. there’s a song called ‘taith y caddi’ about 3/4s of the way through which he performs live, an early example of wenglish? so funny, hope you enjoy!

4 Likes

Prynhawn da, AnneMoore:

Like you, I’ve found several Welsh songs that I like and help me to learn the language. However, finding lyrics is difficult. The best site, so far, is Musixmatch. This link has the lyrics and translation for Sebona Fi. Not all lyrics are translated.

If you like Sebona Fi, listen to his Drwy dy lygid di. In that Youtube link I found this snippet from the writer asking to summarize the song

Drwy Dy Lygid Di, means ‘Through Your Eyes’ - it’s about seeing everything through my son’s eyes as he started noticing the world around him at around 2 years old. He kept pointing at things in the sky or on the floor and telling me what he was seeing… I noticed gradually that he could see a lot more than I could because he was experiencing everything for the first time. The chorus is “There’s only one way to see the world, through your perfect eyes”

3 Likes

That’s great too thank you. The link for the lyrics is brilliant too. I’ve never seen lyrics presented in that way before, I will definitely be using the app.
I may be getting on in years but I like many different types of music.
Do you like Steve Eaves and Kizzy Crawford?
I am so glad there is an amazing amount of Welsh music out there.
Thanks so much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I do have Ymlaen mae Canaan by Steve Eaves and like it a lot, but Kizzy Crawford is new. WOW! She’s really talented. Thank you for sharing that artist!

Here are a couple of songs I’m listening to:
Kân by Calan - Modern Welsh Folk Music
Gwdihw Shoes - Calan getting funky!
Rhedeg i Paris - Classic Welsh punk

I too am glad there’s a lot of Welsh music available in iTunes.

3 Likes

Really love Kan by Calan. I have heard them before and they are great. You are right, modern folk, and they are very talented. The other two songs, I will play later as I have to go out.

Meanwhile, I just found this

My thoughts about London were, ‘pretty much!’
4 Likes

Just discovered this:

2 Likes

Dwi’n gwbod: Dwi 'di bod.

1 Like

You’re being exposed to Welsh music. It’s a good thing! Nothing to be apologetic about. I’m really impressed with the variety of music in Wales.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I’ve listened to a lot of Maes B recordings on Youtube and there’s a flatness to the sound for all of them. Like listening to a garage-band. It’s a bit disappointing because I was looking forward to hearing many new bands. Even the bands I like have a flatness to their performance. I had not heard of Y Sybs before, so thanks for posting it.

Adwaith - Fel I Fod

Adwaith is one of my favorite bands. Lyrics below and my poor translation, as I’m still getting to know Cymraeg nuances.

Sai’n siwr fel i fod - I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be
Beth o ni moyn bod - what do we want to be
Yn y dyfodol - in the future

fy hun sydd ar top y list - Myself will be on top of the list
pethau nai byth ffeindio - of things that are never found
gobeithio bod pawb yn gwybod - hoping that everyone knows
sai’n siwr fel i fod - I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be

falle fi moyn mynd yn wyllt - Maybe I want to go wild
falle fi moyn mynd i gysgu - Maybe I want to go to sleep

At least fi’n gwybod bod s’dim byd yn becso - At least, I want to know that there’s nothing in worrying
pan fi nghanol sheets y gwely - when I’m in the middle of my bed.
at least fi’n gwybod bod y byd in troi - At least, I want to know that the world turns
gyda neu hebddo ti - with or without (telling) you
falle fi moyn mynd i gysgu - Maybe I to go to sleep

gobeithio bod fi’n dysgu - Hoping that I’m learning to
sgwennu caneuon - write songs
hapus yn lle trist - happy rather than sad
sai di dysgu’r sgil ma eto - You can learn this skill again
mae fy nghalon yn rhedeg mas o glud - my hearts runs out of glue
yn aros i fe torri a torri 'to - waiting for it to break and break again

At least fi’n gwybod bod s’dim byd yn becso - At least, I want to know that there’s nothing to worry
pan fi nghanol sheets y gwely - when I’m in the middle of my bed.
at least fi’n gwybod bod y byd in troi - At least, I know that the world turns
gyda neu hebddo ti - with or without (telling) you

3 Likes

Great effort! Even the lines you didn’t get literally correct you managed to get the sense of. The only bit that’s worth correcting (because it’s a useful construction) is this:

yn lle is in place of / instead of - So songs that are happy rather than sad

3 Likes

Diolch, am fy geiriau caredig (Thanks for your kind words). It was a work in progress for sure. The interesting story is how I got the lyrics. Even listening to Saes I need to lookup lyrics to figure out some words/lines. And mumble rap, forget about it. :grinning:
I posted a question on https://www.reddit.com/r/llawenyddhebddiwedd asking for help in translating 3 songs I enjoy a lot. A very kind user /u/HanshS4C posted my question on each band’s Twitter. Adwaith posted their lyrics in reply.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s pretty cool - fair play them :slight_smile: :star2:

2 Likes

Cerys Matthews singing Calon Lan.
This is my personal, favourite version.

8 Likes

@annmoore , not to discourage you from posting music videos, but would you maybe use allready long set and wide used thread Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files instead? I bet everyone would like to see your favourite version of Calon Lan there.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes