Welsh National Eisteddfod Bae Caerdydd/Cardiff Bay 3 - 11/08/2018

Hi all
I’ll be going on Wed and Thurs after work from about 4 if anyone is around ?

As some of you know, my journey to learn Welsh ‘yn go iawn’ started 10 years ago at the 2008 Eisteddfod in Cardiff. I went for the day with only the odd word of Welsh and with my husband’s help I survived. That day I sat in Maes D and listened to The Gentle Good (Gareth Bonello) and manages enough Welsh to buy one of his CDs.

This afternoon, I was sat in Shwmae Caerdydd (Maes D) listening to Gareth Bonello…it’s funny how things come full circle.

7 Likes

I am going down tomorrow and so excited!! Any recommendations for where to visit (I will have a 6 and 1yr old with me). My daughter is dancing at 2 but otherwise we have only decided to go to cymraeg i plant, science and technology and the food! Where else shall we go? Anyone else around? Diolch!

1 Like

Hi folks,

I’ll be there tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday. Hopefully see you all at the meet up Thurs evening if not before!

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but Eris (one of our American friends) told me about an exclusive screening of the Monday’s Pobol Y Cwm episode on Friday in the Sinemaes tent (wherever that is??) Here’s the blurb…

:star:Dangosiad Arbennig!:circus_tent: Exclusive Screening!:star:

Bydd pennod dydd Llun 13eg o Awst Pobol y Cwm yn cael ei ddangos ym mhabell Sinemaes yr Eisteddfod ddydd Gwener 10fed o Awst :alarm_clock:15:00 a sesiwn Q&A gyda Cynhyrchydd y gyfres, Llyr Morus ac ambell aelod o’r cast i ddilyn. Dewch draw! :star_struck:

Monday 13th of August episode of Pobol y Cwm will be shown in the Sinemaes tent at the Eisteddfod on Friday 10th of August at 15:00! Followed by a Q&A with the Series Producer, Llyr Morus and a few cast members too! Come along to this free event! :star_struck:

@BBCCymru @BAFTACymru @eisteddfod #sinemaes

3 Likes

Ooh exciting! The Sinemaes is behind the row of stalls as you walk away from the Maes D towards the Senedd. Look out for the gin bar and you’re in the right area! EDIT: it’s just past the Senedd, sorry. Was too busy trying to avoid said gin bar!:laughing:

2 Likes

Diolch Jules, maybe I’ll see you there…:+1:

1 Like

It is, it is the actual Urdd Hall, presumably used for all sorts of Urdd events throughout the year. I didn’t realise that the Urdd had a permanent base at the back of the Millenium Centre.
Basically you walk a tiny bit down the road behind where the Urdd stand is and on the left is a door which hopefully has the A4 sheet blu-tacked to the door with ‘Neuadd yr Urdd’ printed on it. You pass through their reception, the hall is upstairs on the first floor, turning right after leaving the stairs.
There were a few other people downstairs there looking around feeling lost, they’ve really not made this venue clear at all.
Oh, and don’t trust the ap. The programme on the website said that the competition started at 4.30. However today I panicked when the ap said 3.30pm. Fortunately I got to see a great competition of 3-4 singers in a group and then had to ask to discover that the competition was indeed at 4.30pm.

1 Like

Hi all.
Thurdday 18:25
Ive just got to Cardiff from work at Swindon. So will take a stroll to the Eistedffod. Ill look out for you . Im in my red Slack hangout shirt :sunglasses:. Dont wait for me but feel free to let me know where you are at around 7pm. On 07598 189827. Diolch. John.

Friday 6.30. Where are you all?

Neu dydd IAU, or Thursday even

It all went a bit awry! Karlas event (which was just wow! Omg!) was going on past 6.30. I had to leave as feeling dizzy home now. Did go to pavilion but couldn’t see anyone around. Let me know results folks, that was mesmerising!

It finished at 20.07 and within 10 minutes the judges had named three people, but not Karla, for the final tomorrow, at 12.55. Can’t remember where.

1 Like

Sorry Karla, but I’m sure you did amazing - I’ve loved every second of seeing you around the Eisteddfod this week, and hope to see you before the end!

Sorry everyone else for not turning up to the meetup tonight. I had a terrible end of evening last night and this morning/afternoon and have not been anywhere near in the right place to see people I know/but never met face to face.

If I missed you, I am so so sorry.

1 Like

We missed you, Nicky! No apology needed though, you’re entitled to take some time for yourself. Thanks for all your organising work. I had an amazing day, and it was in large part thanks to your brilliant timetable, the meet up, and SSiW in general. People like you make the world go round!

As for the meet up, there were only a few of us, but quality definitely made up for quantity!

Maybe I’ll bump into you and a few others today. I’ll be wandering around with my mum.

2 Likes

We waited in front of the pavilion HSBC from 17:50 till about 20 past with only 3 others turning up before giving in to my stomach and wandering off to get food. We must have been in the wrong place. I did at one point, see @Y_Ddraig_Las walking through the food area but too far away to get his attention.

Anyway, never mind, we had a great day and managed to see loads and loads of celebs but heard about loads more that we didn’t see. Met up with loads of friends old and new but missed loads more.

We’re heading home today. I would so love to do it all again.

3 Likes

Ah! We met outside/inside Neuadd yr Urdd, which is round the side, badly signposted and doesn’t appear on the map!

2 Likes

Be dwiddod @isata, Nicky - no need to apologise for taking the time you need; and many thanks for all your organising, as well as for having the guts to go for it in competition! :dragon_face:

The BBC weather reckons the rain might be tailing off by 2pm today. Anybody interested in trying again for a meet up around then?

2 Likes

We’ll be around then.

Well that’s a good start! Where might be a good and fairly specific place - in the cafe of the Pierhead (Shwmae Caerdydd/Maes D)?

Yes, that’s easily recognisable and we should find each other!

The browser on my phone is useless so I’ll send you my number. Please text me if any change of plan. Setting off now…