Welsh National Eisteddfod Bae Caerdydd/Cardiff Bay 3 - 11/08/2018

I’m just going to post the link to the spreadsheet every so often so it remains near the newest posts.

I’ve added a couple more events, so big thanks to those who recommended them.

2 Likes

Teilwng yw’r Oen. Canolfan Mileniwm Cymru. 8pm. Sunday 5th August. The first half is fairly modern music (or modern twists to traditional music, like Zadoc the Priest, Nimrod), and then in the second half some new arrangements of items from Handel’s Messiah. The soloists are Rebecca Trhearn, Mirain Haf and Daniel Lloyd.

Besides us “extras” we are joined by some members of Côr Bechgyn Bro Taf, Cantorian Creigiau, CF1, Côr Caerdydd, Cordydd a Chor Hen Nodiant and Côr Merched Canna.

2 Likes

https://eisteddfod.wales/2018-eisteddfod/concerts/teilwng-ywr-oen

Very small world…

“The evening concert is a brand new adaptation of a highly popular favourite, Teilwng yw’r Oen. Mei Gwynedd and John Quirk have worked together on the musical adaptation of Handel’s Messiah, with the words revised by John Gwilym Jones”

John is my uncle-in-law!!

@LaraRobs John gets a mention!!

5 Likes

Nicky, this Amserlen_Eisteddfod timetimeable is fantastic. The amount of events, locations and activities in the SteddGen can be overwhelming to people on their first visits, so this highlight of items relevent for learners is indispensible.

Nicky is making a wonderful contribution to supporting fellow learners with this, his new website and his whole approach and availability.

6 Likes

This is brilliant @nicky! What a great resource, not only for people new to the Eisteddfod, but also for those of us who try to do something like this every year and always miss half the things they wanted to see!

I’ll keep in text contact with someone for the Thursday meetup as I’ll be running a 1 hour hangout for 6-Monthers between 6 and 7, but I’ll catch up with you when it’s over.

2 Likes

Here’s a message from Jo at Cant a Mil Vintage about their stand in ‘Shwmae Caerdydd’ - the Maes D of this year’s Eisteddfod:

Bydd stondin ‘Cant a mil o Lyfrau’ gyda ni yn yr Eisteddfod, yn ‘Shwmae Caerdydd’ sef Adeilad y Pierhead.

Byddwn ni ar agor trwy’r dydd bob dydd ac fe fydd dewis eang iawn gyda ni o lyfrau oedolion a phlant, adnoddau dysgu Cymraeg ac anrhegion. Mae hefyd croeso i unrhyw un gysylltu â ni ymlaen llaw os ydyn nhw eisiau archebu rhywbeth arbennig. Y ffordd hawsaf i wneud hyn yw trwy e-bost: jo@cantamilvintage.com

There will be a ‘Cant a mil o Lyfrau’ stand in the Eisteddfod, in ‘Shwmae Caerdydd’ in the Pierhead Building.

We will be open all day every day and we will have a wide range o books for adults and children, materials for learning Welsh and presents. We welcome anyone who would like to contact us ahead of time to order something special. The easiest way to do this is by email to jo@cantamilvintage.com

1 Like

Hi Dee,

To be honest, I’d imagine it lasting longer than the 6-7 alotted slot - but yes, keep in touch and if we get turfed out of wherever we are and the meet moves to a cafe/pub or whatever you can be kept informed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, definitely this! I wasn’t worried at all - I figured I’d have the rest of the evening :smile:

Thanks for this! I’ve added them in.

Does anyone else have any shop/stand recommendations? What I’ve been doing with shops and stands is just slotting them in the holes in the calendar, so people are reminded to give them a look :slight_smile:

Also, one other thing I’m tempted to do is possibly get out of Cardiff for the evening and take the train up to the valleys to visit (well, it would be a revisit for me, as I’ve been there about 300 times) somewhere like Clwb y Bont, which is a Welsh speaking pub in Pontypridd.

It’s about 30 mins on the train, and trains back to Cardiff from Ponty are every 10 mins until about 23:30.

Usually quiet on Mondays, and I don’t think anything is happening on the Monday night at the Eisteddfod.

Anyone else fancy a Valleys trip?

2 Likes

Some more details here about the pub, leave a comment too to help others experience it. https://www.breatheyourwelsh.cymru/pontypridd-clwbypont

1 Like

Yes a train trip would be great plus I’ve never visited the valleys so what better way to make a start. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Excellent!

I’ve sent a message to Clwb y Bont just to check. They’re open every day of the week normally - but I just want to check that they’re not doing anything down the Eisteddfod that would make them close on that day.

I’ll confirm closer to the date, but people can either meet outside Cardiff Bay station (quite near to the Eisteddfod), or join us at Cardiff Queen Street (we’ve got to switch there to connect to the valleys) if they are staying more central.

Leave it with me and I’ll update the spreadsheet accordingly! :smiley:

3 Likes

Transport information from the Eisteddfod organisers copied below.

Cardiff has a wide range of accessible public transport across the city as well as the Taff Trail walking and cycling path linking the Bay with the city centre. Cardiff Pedal Power has a centre close to the caravan site in Pontcanna, where visitors can hire bikes. Details at www.cardiffpedalpower.org, or go to www.nextbike.co.uk for details of the Cardiff bike share scheme.

Organisers are encouraging visitors to use the buses and train or to cycle and walk to the Maes if possible. The Cardiff Bay train station is almost on the Maes, and trains run regularly from Queen Street in the city centre. Details on how to get to the Eisteddfod by train here, www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/eisteddfod, and find out more about Cardiff Bus here, www.cardiffbus.com/national-eisteddfod.

There are a number of public car parks in the Cardiff Bay area, and these will be open throughout Eisteddfod week, and there are disabled parking spaces available in each of these parks. The Eisteddfod cannot guarantee that there will be room for festival visitors as they will all be open to the general public. However, parking spaces can be booked beforehand at QPark, the multi-storey car park opposite the Millennium Centre (www.q-park.co.uk).

Visitors can park in Cardiff Council’s County Hall car park at the weekends only, with the car park open from 18:00 in 3 August for those attending the opening concert, Disabled parking available here.

The Eisteddfod will operate a park and ride system from Leckwith during the working week, with parking opening at 06:30 and buses running regularly from 07:00 until 00:00. The car park will close at 00:30.

The bus journey will take from 10-15 minutes, dependent on traffic, with visitors dropped off in Hemingway Road, close to County Hall, which is 2-3 minutes from the Maes. Disabled parking available, and all buses are low level vehicles.

Follow the signs to reach the car park, and parking will cost £10 per car at County Hall and in Leckwith on the day, and £8 if booked beforehand. Online booking for Leckwith available at www.parkjockey.com. The shuttle buses to Leckwith and back are free of charge.

The caravan site is located in Pontcanna Fields in the city centre, and a regular shuttle bus service will run to the Bay and back. The service will start at 15:00 on Friday 3 August for the opening concert with the last bus leaving the Bay at 01:00.

The first bus leaves the caravan site at 07:00 with the last bus returning at 01:00 from Saturday until Tuesday. The service will be extended until 03:00 from Wednesday evening until Saturday night, to accommodate Maes B.

The caravan site bus stop is located on Western Avenue, with buses dropping visitors in Hemingway Road. Again, these are low level buses, suitable for disabled visitors. Caravanners can purchase weekly tickets online.

The camp site for Maes B is situated at Fitzalan High School, with shuttle buses running to the Bay regularly during the week. Maes B is held in the old Doctor Who Experience building in the Bay, which is close to everything else on the Maes. The shuttle bus timetable is very similar to the caravan site, but the evening pick-up point for the camp site is outside the entrance to Maes B.

The Eisteddfod is working with Byw Bywyd again this year to offer a scooter and wheelchair service for disabled visitors. The Byw Bywyd stand is located in the Red Dragon Centre, situated opposite the Wales Millennium Centre.

Anyone intending to rent a scooter or wheelchair during the week should contact the company beforehand to guarantee availability. Ring 01286 830 101 or email post@byw-bywyd.co.uk.

4 Likes

Great work Neil!

What’s up everyone. It has been suggested to me that it woud be cool to do a couple of photo blogs on parallel.cymru of people’s experiences of the Eisteddfod- so a handful of photos, together with some explanatory text for those who couldn’t be there.

Are there any photographers here with an interest in sharing their Steddfod experience with the wider world? Drop me a line on parallel.cymru@gmail.com if so!

1 Like

As a resident (ish) of the 'diff, I would recommend using the train unless you’re fit enough to cycle/walk a fair distance, i.e. Longer than anything you did on Bwtcamp! As British trains go, they’re fast and frequent.

Or the Number 6 bus runs between the city centre and the Bay. It seems to run every 10 minutes or so and goes all the way to what will be Maes B and on to the Norwegian Church. Possibly further.

2 Likes

I was in Cardiff a few days ago and preparations are well under way. The former Doctor Who experience is now clearly labelled “Maes B” and there was a small group of men wearing high vis vests with a big “E” on them pacing out distances and discussing what they were doing in Welsh. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Nicky
Where is the planner for the Eisteddfod meetups ?
Thanks
Nao;i