Welsh National Eisteddfod Bae Caerdydd/Cardiff Bay 3 - 11/08/2018

Hi Naomi.

I have been posting it every few days to keep it near the newest posts… So now the timing is good…

1 Like

I can only make Saturday 4th (fy mhenblwydd i!) unfortunately this year. I aim to join the meet up at 1pm. C u there.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the road closures in place for the Eisteddfod has meant that the Baycar 6 service has been cut short for the duration. It has however been extended past County Hall to service Scott Harbour (replacing service 8 during the Eisteddfod).

Oh, and I’m scheduled to be running the Baycar 6 service on the opening night of the Eisteddfod. Be sure to say shwmae! :slight_smile:

It’s getting perilously close now!!

Anyone want to add a final event or two to the guide before we all start printing it off? Any last minute recommendations/things to see or do?

I don’t see anything for Clwb ifor bach which is one of the venues being used.
I’ve purchased tickets for the following gigs if anyone else is interested. Doors open 7.30pm not sure what time the headliners will appear.
Sat 4th Bryn Fon/Adwaith/Plant Duw/DJ DDilyn
Weds Meic Stevens/Heather Jones/Jamie Bevan
Fri Gwenno/Omaloma/Bitw/Pys Melyn/DJ DDilyn

I’m going to be at Yr Eira I think. I only didn’t include them because they were paid for/ticketed events, and I wanted to keep the list as “pop in and have a look” as possible. Even I put them down with a price and a ticket link, someone might still miss it and not expect a door charge/sold out sign :frowning:

My thinking was that people who wanted to go to those, would’ve probably already known… like us :smiley:

Yep that makes complete sense. :+1:t2:

1 Like

trac: music traditions wales - traddodiadau cerdd cymru have just posted this on facebook and I thought some of you guys may be interested?

STEWARDING AT TY GWERIN

The Eisteddfod organisers are looking for more volunteer stewards for Ty Gwerin - are you up for it? You don’t have to be a fluent Welsh-speaker to steward at the Eisteddfod. If you can do one or more of these slots, email trac@trac-cymru.org or dylan@eisteddfod.org.uk

Monday from 3pm
Thursday from 4pm
Friday from 4pm
Saturday from 6pm

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Nicky

Thanks for the update, @faithless78 . It hadn’t occurred to me that there would be such drastic changes to roads and bus routes. I’m staying at our daughter’s house in Pontprennau, so will have to work out the best way to get from A to B. Perhaps train from Cardiff Central would be better than bus? Or are they laying on special shuttle buses for the Eisteddfod like they did for the park-and-ride in Abergavenny.

1 Like

The train will get you as far as a bus will get you anyways. Either way you will be walking the same distance. By the looks of things the Eisteddfod event site is starting from The Flourish (the fountain area behind The Red Dragon Centre) so any vehicle will not get much further than Cardiff Bay train station.

By bus, you can get the 57/58 or the X1 from Pontprennau to City Centre, then the Baycar 6, 13, 25, 132 or X8 to County Hall or Cardiff Bay Station on the Lloyd George Avenue. You can also get the 1 or 8 services to Mermaid Quay. If you’re buying day tickets or returns, note that they’ll only be valid for the operator who issues them - for example, if you catch the X1 to town (a NAT group bus), you’ll only be able to use it on the X8 to the bay. Cardiff Bus or Stagecoach (the 25 and 132) will not accept them, as NAT won’t accept Cardiff Bus or Stagecoach tickets either.

I would also add that using a bus may well be cheaper than the train. A return on the train costs £3.40 from Cardiff Central, or £2.70 from Queen Street. Then there is getting to those stations as well. Cardiff Bus ‘Day to Go’ tickets are £3.80 for adults, £2.50 for children under 16, and can be used all day. If you are travelling all day with children you can get a Family Day to Go for £5.30 which covers up to 2 adults and 3 children (or 1adult and 4 children), on one ticket, but a minimum of 1adult AND 1 child must be present for the ticket to be valid. If you’re going with a group of up to 5 adults you can get a Group ticket for £10.00 - well worth it if you’re travelling with more than 3 people!

I don’t have any idea of NAT’s ticketing structure, but they probably have their rates on their website.

EDIT: as an addage, anyone travelling by bus from outside Cardiff and wanting to purchase just one ticket, the Network Rider is the only ticket you can buy that is valid on ANY bus in South Wales, regardless of operator. There may be restrictions on some services though (Traws Cymru services for example, but check before you travel).
If you’re coming in by train and not changing for the Cardiff Bay train, be sure to get the ’PLUSbus’ entitlement for the Cardiff area so you will be able to use your train ticket on the bus. The ticket must have ‘PLUSbus’ printed on the ticket to be valid on the bus.

2 Likes

Very useful Nicky, very useful indeed. Diolch.

1 Like

There you go ladies and gents. I think you are safe to now print this off.

I’ve pulled the Potential Ponty night out, because Clwb y Bont were a bit iffy about whether they would open on the Monday or not. We can always go for a pint anywhere during the week if there’s enough of us that fancy one!

I’ve included a map (sorry for the quality… finding a high quality map for this year’s Eisteddfod seems nigh-on impossible) on the first worksheet - hope this helps.

1 Like
2 Likes

I made a map on Google Maps, to try and make sense for myself of the very pretty but hard to use official map (and to add on a couple of things that aren’t on there). It’s here: Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Caerdydd 2018 – Google My Maps :map:

Feel free to let me know of any errors, or important things that are missing, and I’ll aim to update it in response :slight_smile:

EDIT: I think it probably works best as linked above, for use on a device that can navigate around Google Maps; but here’s a printable version: Map.pdf (461.9 KB) - not nearly as pretty as the official one, but perhaps helpful in clarifying what’s where …

2 Likes

Just letting you all know of a change of plan.

Aran, myself, Angharad and Beuno are now coming to the Eisteddfod, but for two nights only.

We felt bad about not taking the kids to the Brifwyl this year, as well as feeling guilty for not being able to take them away for a proper holiday. So after much deliberation, careful planning and some walking on eggshells, we’ve been able to secure a couple of nights away from the nest, for some much needed change of scenery and family time.

It will be the first time we will have left Aran’s mum for more than a night… and it may well be the last, but for now I think it’s a goer… fingers crossed and all of that… :wink:

We’ll be leaving early on the Tuesday after dropping the dog at kennels, but unfortunately, after a 4/5 hour car journey, parking, checking in to the hotel and sorting two tired kids out, we won’t be in time, or much of a state for any shenanigans on the Tuesday afternoon. But we will be in and around the Eisteddfod for most of the day on Wednesday and will be attending the DyF on Wednesday evening.

We will have to check out promptly on Thursday and be back home in time to pick the dog up from Kennels by 5pm at the latest.

Looking forward to seeing some of you around and sorry in advance if our timing means that we will be missing others.

8 Likes

Gwych! :slight_smile: Hapus iawn i glywed o! Llongyfarchiadau am y “walking on eggshells” yn llwydiannus, a dwi’n edrych ymlaen at eich gweld chi gyd.

Do you (or does anyone) know how to get tickets for DyF on Wednesday night? @nicky’s very helpful spreadsheet has a link, but that link seems to be broken now …

1 Like

Edrychaf ymlaen at eich gweld!!

Gareth and I are arriving on Tuesday afternoon and staying until Saturday morning. Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks for that useful information, @faithless78. I’m sure it will be helpful to others as well as to me. I am happy to walk fairly long distances and on our regular visits to Cardiff have often walked from the city centre to the Bay, but it’s nice to know about buses for the times I’m too tired.

1 Like

Hello!

You’re correct that the link has gone, I can’t find it anywhere now - which I’m taking as meaning the event may have now sold out.

I know of a couple of people who were still able to buy tickets this time last week, but I fear they may have all gone since then :frowning: