Welsh poetry

For anyone interested in Welsh poetry, but finding it difficult to find poems that are accesible to second language speakers, there is a cracking blog available here: http://cerddi.blogspot.co.uk/

You will need to search through a bit, as there is a whole load of stuff “about” poetry as well - well worth reading / watching, and in more everyday language. There are some poems that just have the text, or videos of them being read, but some of the more difficult poems have explanations and translations.

Be warned, it’s not “poems for learners”, but rather “poems explained”, although with a strong bias towards people who’s English os better, or rather broader, than their Welsh (a normal state of affairs, even amongst comfortable Welsh speakers, unfortunately).

In other words, don;t be upset if you only understand every 8th word when you first read a poem - these poems reveal the majesty of literary Welsh, and are not for the faint hearted. But if you want to get to the root of Welsh as a literary language, then this is a brilliant place to start!

8 Likes

You are right, this is difficult, but the poets speak clearly and, importantly for me, relatively slowly. I didn’t even get one in eight of the words the first time I listened, but I loved the sound. It is a site I will return to and, if I listen to the same poem a few times, who knows where it might lead.

Gwych! Diolch yn fawr iawn Iestyn! Really useful.

This is great, Iestyn - thanks so much for sharing.

Just found some of Gwyneth Lewis’s work through this site. I could understand quite a lot so my enthusiasm is renewed. I think I’ll learn some and try them out on friends when I’m next in Wales.

2 Likes

Or don’t! :raised_hand:

@Deborah-SSi One for removal?

1 Like

Thanks @SteakAndEggs, definitely dodgy. I’ve deleted the user. (For reference, if you click on the three dots of any questionable post and then flag the post, it’ll alert all the moderators)

2 Likes

Swift response there! Da iawn @SteakAndEggs a @siaronjames!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. :+1:

2 Likes