Welsh Spoken Here/Use Your Welsh Here App

Oh, absolutely. I agree with you wholeheartedly!

They should most definitely not be used without her express consent as anyone who puts such skill, care and attention into such wonderful little characters should certainly have full say over how they are used and receive the proper acknowledgement for their creation.

1 Like

I do graphic design full time now, I am open to licencing useage or creating new higher detailed designs. Id have to dig out my old sourcefiles. The first sketch was very large and i worked it down to emoticon size

2 Likes

Oh @rhywun Thank you so much for responding to my tagging. I will never cease to marvel at your work! If I ever leave this Forum, loss of access to your dragons is probably the thing I will regret most!
p.s. I tried to copy one here and for some reason it failed to work!
In fact, I realise that a lot of the dragons in old posts are now missing! Can @Kinetic or you or anyone help?

Hmmā€¦ can you give an example of a broken dragon link, so that I can figure out why? :slight_smile:

they seem to be working fine on my iPad, but none of them appeared on my laptop this morning! Honest!

I notice one of the group competition fo learners in the Eisteddfod next year is a ā€œllyfr llofnodionā€ - scrapbook.

Seems like there ought to be mileage in that idea.

I did start putting a sort of ā€œtemplate scrapbook of learning welshā€ with ā€˜challengesā€™ like

ā€œAttend a Welsh language music gig. Stick your ticket hereā€

ā€œTake a selfie with the first person you spoke Welsh with outside of a lesson and stick it hereā€

3 Likes

Didnā€™t we used to have a Google map with ā€œplaces that spoke Welshā€?

1 Like

I have now checked again on my laptop and the dragons

are fine, including this one which I have never used before and wanted to send to @rhywun because she is their brilliant creator and deserves unlimited stars and supernovae! :star: :stars:

4 Likes

Oooh I like that! I suppose you could do any Welsh course, then tag this on the end as a way of showing (to yourself really), what youā€™ve learnt, and what you can do.

The fact there is already a national competition set up to judge these could add a competitive element for those who want it.

If you donā€™t mind me asking, what else was in your scrapbook?

2 Likes

Hi @jamesmahoney great that youā€™re happy to work on this! :+1: This thread has had quite a bit of interest, do you think it is sufficient to make a start on this? What help would you need or like to get started? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d only started sketching out a plan in an old exercise book! Iā€™ll maybe scan it in or list it in text when I get home.

3 Likes

Kicking of tyres, input into the workflow for adding and maintaining locations, etc. And most importantly - the adding of placesā€¦

Itā€™s going to be a couple of weeks till anything is available though

3 Likes

:+1: :star: great news! Let us know when you need input.

2 Likes

Okay, so more like four weeksā€¦

Here be version 0.1

Itā€™s running on Amazon web services, something Iā€™ve never done till a few minutes ago, so expect a wee bit of turbulenceā€¦

Emails arenā€™t set up at the moment.
It looks terrible on a phone screen
But you can search for places, or view place information without needing to register.

Next step is for people to kick the site around a bit to see what works, what doesnā€™t, what needs to be added or changed, etc

Once registered with the site you can edit anything. So for the time being, in order to register youā€™ll need to enter a secret. PM me to find out what it is. Hopefully Iā€™ve written it down somewhereā€¦

Trello board of things to do: https://trello.com/b/puct5m6J/chatcymru

2 Likes

Thatā€™s looking seriously good (okay, I never use a phone!).

In many ways, itā€™s a bloody pity that youā€™ve got to this point just after that other mappy thing started getting passed around on Facebook - but I think the value of this one, with a strict focus on ā€˜places you can use your Welshā€™, is going to be much clearerā€¦

If you pm me the secret Iā€™ll start getting some Gwynedd places on thereā€¦ :slight_smile:

And Iā€™d suggest you think in terms of keeping editors to a small-ish bunch - even 50 or so will be able to populate the vast majority of places - or even just a dozen, particularly if you set up a way for businesses to submit requests to be includedā€¦? Which then get okayed (or not) by an editor?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the general idea (eventually!). Weā€™re likely to get more people suggesting stuff if they donā€™t have to create an account first (or if they can sign in via facebook or google).

Do you think having meetups/events on there dilutes that focus at all? Down our way the mapā€™s a bit sparse without them on!

Now I have the start of an admin site Iā€™d like to replace my spreadsheet of Newport meetups with an edit tool and roll it out to other areas.

1 Like

Yup, Iā€™d say so. It was my first thought when I looked at that other map - different things going on = not really sure how to use it + bit of a pain double-checking things to see what they are, and/or learning if thereā€™s some colour coding going onā€¦

Could you run multiple maps? I think separating meetups and events, even, would be a good thingā€¦ :slight_smile:

Also - is this for learners to know where they can practice? Or does it have a wider application for speakers and learners to know where Welsh is welcomed?

If itā€™s the latter, it would need a Welsh interface tooā€¦ which struck me as I was about to put the description in for Palas Print, when I realised I wasnā€™t sure which language I should be writing inā€¦

This part of itā€™s essentially a database of stuff - we can present it any way that works, whether that be lleoedd.cymru, cyfarfodcymraeg.com etc.

Perhaps rather than showing the meetups/events on the map, theyā€™re displayed as part of the info page for the place where theyā€™re held.

Donā€™t see why it canā€™t be for the latter as well. Youā€™re right in that case - weā€™ll need some a bilingual interface.

1 Like

Great. Iā€™ve just sent you a PM.

1 Like