Welsh Spoken Here/Use Your Welsh Here App

Well that’s disappointing… none of my local shops speak Welsh.

Unsurprising for Somerset, but still disappointing!

1 Like

You might find someone eventually. Year before last, whilst exasperated with my lack of ability to speak Welsh I said something in Russian (I’d done precisely one lesson) and the husband of the couple I was speaking to replied … in Russian.

3 Likes

Did anything ever come of the app? I realise its not an easy thing to set up (I don’t have those skills), particularly if you’re doing it unpaid, but it sounds like such a useful and exciting idea!

@warrendavies appears to have kicked this off so he may be able to provide an update. I created the breatheyourwelsh website and entered about thirty locations that were rated and people could provide comments but there was very little interest and I have just taken it down.
I still think an App linked to a website is still a great idea but it needs shops/outlets etc to be interested and for learners to want to use it. Maintaining a database (let alone create an effective App) is not easy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Yeah I can imagine its not an easy things to do, and relies on other people to buy into it. Maybe something will happen one day. Cheers!

1 Like

Sorry @peterallen I don’t have an update.

1 Like

Hi. I’m coming to this a bit late, but I have an open source project running on GitHub that anyone can join.

The end result is a searchable map showing places and how they have been categorised as a likelihood of hearing / speaking Welsh.

The project is still in early days and still looking to find the best use case for itself.

You can view the project live at https://www.byw.cymru

All the code is available on GitHub at the links on the site. Contributions are always welcome! There are many ways to contribute to the project, not just software development. All development takes place in the open on GitHub.

Also anybody can submit a location or adjust a category, no login or account required.

Edit I forgot to mention that the database management is automated, so it doesn’t require any manual intervention at all. The development work is to add / improve functionality only.

2 Likes