Welsh story card game for groups

Oops! Well, that didn’t work out either!

So sorry, had to take a bit of a break for the sake of my sanity and the sanity of the people around me!

Feeling much better now, and the packs are being sent off now, apologies to all for the tardiness.

Anyhow, if you still want a pack Netmouse, let me know the address and I will be delighted to send one out!

The whole idea of starting this was for me to be happy to produce packs for SSiW Welsh groups for free, and make them available. Unfortunately it got derailed somewhat (sad face!)

It would, quite literally, be my pleasure to make one for your group.

I’ll see about also making them available as images for people who have a licence to use scissors now I’m back up and about, as also per part of the original intention.

Anyhow, anyone else still interested, let me know!

I don’t know what it is. there are groups you say? I’m not in a group but I am interested in the idea, can you tell me or point me in the direction of what these packs do be. I have a fake licence to use scissors so emailed pics would be fine for me. I home educate my daughter so she is quite handy with scissors, it’ll give her something to do between minecraft and listening to me singing.

Hi Lurch
I am still interested in a set for the Norfolk group. I will send a PV. Thanks so much.

@Mungy-
I don’t know what they are, either, but they look something like this-

And are apparently used for making short, bizarre stories.

And yes, there are SSiW groups. I am in a group. It looks something like this-

There may be a group near you. Have you looked behind the sofa?

I’ll get some sort of imagey thingy up and running soon so that you can print stuff onto card and let your daughter loose. Will pm you when it’s ready to go.

@maynard- will do! You’re welcome!

Good to see you back on the scene Owain - the forum’s missed you! I’ll pm you now.

Hi! I would love a set. I live in Australia so postage may be prohibitive. I don’t mind cutting and pasting, so, if you were able to send me soft copies I can make them up myself.

But Elizabeth, aren’t you going to a Bootcamp soon? Couldn’t Owain send the cards to someone who’s coming to that Bootcamp, and you could pick them up then?

Hi Owain, Diolch yn fawr am y cardiau. Mi dderbyniais i nhw bore 'ma. Mi fydda i’n cyflwyno nhw i’r grŵp a’r cyfarfod nesaf. Unwaith eto diolch o galon i’ch di. Dymuniadau gorau.

We had lots of fun at the Barry group this afternoon! Some very strange things going on with aliens, gorillas, bananas… I think some of the subtleties may have been lost - to me at least - in the heat of the moment but we all got the gist! (We also enjoyed the instructions…)
If I ever get to bootcamp (dream on!), I would definitely bring them along!
I should report that Arianhod is the undisputed champion in this new sport though. Clearly a gifted player, winning at least 4 (was it?) stories and playing all her cards at the end. Watch out when it comes to the all-Wales championships!

We’re just trying to get a group going in North Northumberland and these could be a really useful means of getting a discussion going. Look out for my p.m.

@ Maynard- Croeso! Gobeithio gewch chi dipyn o sbort gyda nhw.

@ Netmouse- Thanks for that, glad to hear they went down ok!

@ Douglas Ewart- I’ll be happy to send you out a pack. Hope the group goes well!

The cards arrived this morning but, while there are clear instructions, there is no indication as to how to reimburse you for the postage and packing to say nothing of the cost of the cards themselves.
We’re meeting again next week so will try them then. I’m sure they’ll help to break the ice and should get us laughing and talking to each other … In Welsh!
Let me know how much I owe you and where to send the cheque.

Just to make it clear, have been making these cards (normal size) and laminating them myself [to protect from beer! ;-)] and sending them out with the idea that only postage should be covered.

(They are shown a few entries above in this thread!)

As postage was less than I thought, have been making them and sending them out for nothing, as hopefully they will be of use to groups.

The humour of the cards is the main thing, along with the original drawings, but whatever floats your boat!

Anyway, anyone who wants a set, please get in touch. And if you’ve asked and haven’t had one, it is in the pipeline, honest!

Oh, and though I am not one to normally blow my own trumpet, I suppose I should say that they have been tried out by many groups and pairs of learners, semi-fluent and native speakers who seem to find the thing amusing, diverting, and a way to have a bit of fun in Welsh. If you have nothing better to do!

So if you fancy giving it a go, get in touch and I’ll send a pack out!

Owain, I would definitely love these cards ! I should send money, though, since I’m in the U.S. - if you have paypal I could send it through there, or I could mail a check. PM me w/your estimate, and I’ll reply with my address. How cool that you’re doing this !! Thank you for taking the time and using your talents for such a fun thing !

We used the cards this morning and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There was a lot of laughter and after our group discussion, which we all found quite demanding at times, the cards came as welcome respite from age related memory malfunction (on my part anyway). We will definitely use them again … and again … and again, as they were the perfect way to round off an enjoyable morning and, most importantly, they kept us speaking Welsh even when some of us (me) were flagging. Diolch yn Fawr Iawn Owain.

Hello. I live in Tasmania Australia and I am interested in the cards. I have access to some scissors and a printer so I dont mind doing a bit of cutting. Can you send me a soft copy?

Just to way we played the card game yesterday evening in our Norfolk Clwb Siarad and we all enjoyed the experience very much. Lots of laughter and discussion too. Thanks Lurch. I’ll be using them again before the years out

Another batch of cards about to go out-

but first of all, I want to apologise to everyone who hasn’t had a pack yet- there’s been a bit of a bottleneck getting hold of the laminating stuff, which I seem to buy up the entire stock of at regular intervals!

Anyhow, will send out to everyone who has requested, but there is one thing.

I’ve been keeping the costs down by making them myself from scratch and sourcing the cheapest decent quality materials I can find, but as there are more and more cards being requested, the costs are mounting up, along with the time taken to make them!

Therefore, I would ask that if, on receiving a pack of cards, and if you think it is worth it, if a contribution could be made towards covering the cost and time.

Raw material cost is kept down as they are hand made. Back of the envelope calculations for the raw material cost for the cards, photocopying and the box is about three pounds with postage 93p within the UK, and take a couple of hours to make from scratch (at a leisurely pace, so that’s not really relevant!).

Now any contribution towards it would be gratefully accepted, but I don’t want to say that someone needs to do it! It’s just to cover most of the costs. If you don’t have paypal, no problem! If you don’t think they are worth it, no problem!

Any contributions can be made on paypal to tricia1965_2000[at]yahoo.com
(With [at] being the “@” symbol, without square brackets. Done in case of spambots!) As a payment to friends and family, I should think- I don’t have a business account!
Anyhow, as I say, they do seem to be of use and a bit of fun, so if anyone wants one for themselves or a group, please let me know!

Do not send any money until you receive them, and then only if you think they are of value!

I would a love a set, if you don’t mind: either an ACTUALFACTUAL set; or if you want to send over a soft copy, I’m happy to have a BLUEPETERMOMENT and put them together myself - I shall do PMings of you with my details!