Welsh version of Wordle -- Gairglo

Gairglo now offers the ability to check the definition of each guess you attempt. Tap the magnifying glass to see a dictionary definition of each word. At the end, you will also get a definition of the correct word, wether you get it right or not. Not only that, but you can also hear the correct word! Tap the headphones symbol below the word and then tap play.

Try it out: https://www.hiriaith.cymru/gairglo

9 Likes

This link is useful, although with the double-letters, you might have to search on ‘6’ or even ‘7’ letter words.
Is it cheating? Possibly…but if you’re using Gairglo to expand your vocab, then I think it’s justifiable :slight_smile:
https://www.ezglot.com/words-starting-with.php?l=cym&w=g&length=5

4 Likes

Brilliant idea! Very useful for expanding vocabulary :clap:

3 Likes

I do allow myself to look through the dictionary if I get stuck. I’m not posting my scores or trying to compete with anyone so it’s excellent motivation to browse through the dictionary and expand my vocabulary.

5 Likes

Love this! Both games are great and a good opportunity to expand vocab :blush:

2 Likes

Diolch :slight_smile: Dwi’n trio.

I don’t think of it as cheating at all - it’s all about learning new words for me.

4 Likes

Beware the to bach today!

1 Like

Do we all get the same word? You do in Wordle but there was no to bach on the word that was the answer to the puzzle I did a few minutes ago.

1 Like

We do all get the same word and there is no to bach today. Are you playing a different version @phil-egan?

1 Like

How odd
Dydd Sadwrn, 12 Chwefror 2022 (rhif 32, 0/6)

🟨🟦:white_large_square::white_large_square:🟦
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square:🟦:white_large_square:🟦
:white_large_square::white_large_square:🟦:white_large_square:🟦
https://hiriaith.cymru/gairglo #gairglo via @hiriaith (Gairglo, y Wordle Cymraeg)

1 Like

I didn’t try it yesterday. But failed today. :roll_eyes:
Definitely need to beware of whatever-may-be-on-top of letters, because it won’t accept anything different.

I guess I’ll do more of the other one @Cetra linked, cause I have a few more chances. :smiley:

2 Likes

It looks as though that was the same puzzle. Here’s what I had. Sometimes I get a bit stuck and have to look in the dictionary for help, but I found yesterday’s quite straightforward. No need to “cheat”!

Dydd Sadwrn, 12 Chwefror 2022
(rhif 32, 3/6)
🟦🟦🟦 :white_large_square::white_large_square:
🟦🟦🟦🟦🟦
https://www.hiriaith.cymru/gairglo #gairglo
via @hiriaith

2 Likes

Just seen this thread - are you in a different time zone @phil-egan? As answer for the 13th that I got in early hours had an umlaut over the i - which changed the meaning from my previous guess without one… Hadn’t ever needed an umlaut in Welsh before.

(Sorry - guessing your links too old for me to read?)

1 Like

Hi Ann,

No, I’m in the UK. The answer to the Wordle was ‘themâu’. Not sure what was going on with the dates!

Still doing it most days.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Guess we all remain confused!
The Gairglo answer I got on the 12th was trais, and on the 13th copïo - complete with all important umlaut! I’ve never seen themâu

I’m doing most days too - definitely expanding my vocab! :thinking: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep getting stuck, usually beyond two tries, like today’s puzzle.
I got three letters, including one in the right spot. Beyond that, I have been scrambling to find another five letter word which fits.

1 Like

I’m not sure what to recommend. The bigger your vocabulary, the easier it is to think of other words, obviously. However, if I get stuck I do browse through the dictionary in search of inspiration. I’m not competing with anyone and it’s excellent motivation to learn new words. I reckon I have a decent vocabulary, but I’ve learned a few new words doing Gairglo.

It helps if you have a feel for what letter combinations are possible. I also sometimes put in other words, just to see if I can find the missing letters. Then you’re left with an anagram to solve.

4 Likes

I tend to use may first 3 goes not actually guessing but trying to use as many letters as possible, then for your last 2 guesses with a bit of luck you have 3 or even 4 letters confirmed

4 Likes

I try entering words I know are not correct, just to see if I can get more letters right, and/or their position.

4 Likes