Wenglishisms

Computer is an older word than Turing, I believe - used to describe people who did sums (computed) in financial institutions or as assistants to astronomers, or to calculate logs or other mathematical reference tables.

So cyfrifiadur might even be, or be based on, a translation from the era when the best computing devices around were in our heads…

1 Like

Good to meet a fellow retired physicist, @henddraig
If ever I went back, I’d certainly have to do some serious updating. Apparently there are these new guys called Planck, Heisenberg and Einstein who have been upsetting the apple-cart. :smile:

4 Likes

One version of the origin of “computer”:

Edit: interesting snippet on “digital”:

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/03/word-trends-digital/

1 Like

OK, yes I did know it referred to people first, as did ‘calculator’, but presumed the question was asking about its use for the things we mean now when we say ‘computer’!
Now, as I recall, ‘teleweli’ was used for what is now ‘teledi’. Does anyone remember?

Well the first link I cited does cover that transition, which was surprisingly (to me) early.

Indirectly. My father in law used to use it. He was English, but moved to North Wales in the mid-fifties, which started my wife’s family’s love affair with Wales and Welsh. They moved back to England in 1961, but much later, back to North Wales in their latter years. He was always coming out with Welsh expressions, and “teleweli” was one. I thought it was nice, but when I started learning Welsh with SSiW, no one was using it, and I couldn’t find it on google, so I wondered if it was one he’d made up. :slight_smile: So I’m glad to find someone else knows it! :slight_smile:

So you think we have a problem in Wales…

On how many levels is that just wrong, wrong, wrong? =-O

2 Likes

Oh la la!!

1 Like

Most people I would like to put at ease - so in general I agree. On the other hand, everyone has one or two people we are not so eager to please - so it’s always good to have a reason to be mischieviously argumentative.

1 Like

Mischief and humility combined is an endearing trai, tydi?

1 Like

I believe that very firmly, but Catrin feels it can be queried on occasion…:wink:

Doesn’t it depend on the relative levels of mischief and humility?
Oh, and Aran, ‘popti-ping’ isn’t exactly Wenglish, but I’m trying to find out if it is used generally or only in one area. Is ‘microtan’ common? What do you call your microwave, presuming you have one?!!

1 Like

In my experience, popty ping is used widely and the alternative meicrodon rather less so, but both are understood. Some people prefer meicrodon because they regard popty ping to be a bit silly and even childish, whereas others lean towards popty ping because it’s more fun and even because it’s not a straight translation from the English. Many people, of course, really don’t care and just use whichever word comes to mind.

BTW, I’ve heard people from east Radnorshire who have had no Welsh in their family for many generations refer to the microwave oven at ‘the ping’.

1 Like

Similarly, archfarchnad is supermarket, but on Bootamp, we found that siop mawr was what was used.

Hwyl,

Stu

2 Likes

It’s a very strong possibility that you’ve identified the bit I get wrong :sunny:

I’m with Rob on popty-ping. Can’t remember the last time I heard someone talk about a meicrodon, personally, even though it’s apparently the ‘proper’ word.

Just checking: “popty” on its own is a “proper” word for “oven”? - Or is it?
Diolch.

3 Likes

Yes, it is :sunny:

3 Likes

I have to admit to really liking the word archfarchnad because of its aggressive, almost Klingon-esque feel, especially when screamed at you by Susanna in her uniquely lady-like fashion. :wink:

4 Likes

My first experience of working in a totallt Francophone environment was i '85 in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec. My French was pretty good then but there were some gaps including the word for a microwave. I synthesised a guess from two words I knew and said “je vais rechauffer le plat dans le microvague”. (I’m going to reheat the dish in the “microwave”). My friends were tickled pink but they knew exactly what i meant because “vague” means the sort of wave that you find on the sea. :blush: The correct word is “micro-onde” BTW (not sure about the hyphen).

1 Like

Wenglishisms - Scene 1

Here I am playing Tennis with some new French and Italian friends. Where are you from they ask? (expecting me to reply that I’m English).

I’m from Wales - I reply.

Oh, I’ve been to Scotland - one of them replies. Do you wear a kilt?

No and I’m from Wales - the bit to the left of England that sticks out.

Oh, you mean Ireland.

No, I mean Wales and it has its own language.

You mean you speak a dialect of English.

No Welsh is a rich language much older than English and not one word is the same as the English language ( I say, happily exaggerating).

Speak some Welsh, then - they say, trying to call my bluff.

Llanfairpwlgwyn …

They are suitably impressed

SO DO TELL ME THERE IS A WELSH ALTERNATIVE TO ‘‘PLEASE’’ THAT IS ACTUALLY USED. (I suppose ‘‘osgwelwch yn dda’’ is too formal?).

Otherwise, I will not be able to show my face at the tennis club again!!

3 Likes

“Os gwelwch yn dda” (If you see it to be good) is very similar in meaning and no more formal than “S’il vous plait” (If it pleases you) and, as you know, it is used in French without any sense of formality.

Having said that, though, I would say “plis” 9 times out of 10. :smile:

1 Like