Wenglishisms

Well you could say “os gweli di yn dda” of course, if it’s a person you are on familiar terms with.

I didn’t read this topic eariler and (I’m humbly admiting) didn’t read all posts even now, but I thought about those Englishisms even from the very beginning of my learning wondering if they’re really so often used in spoken language. If I compare Welsh to Slovene scene (which isn’t much compatible though) I’d say they are because in Slovene language there are also so many Englishisms (of different kind though) that I am becomming sad.

Really it highly surprised and (a bit) saddened me hearing words like plis, stoppio and what’s more to it despite it sounds prety simple to learn this way though. Os gwelwch yn dda (hope it is written right) sounded much more Welsh right from the beginning and when I say “plis” it sounds so English from my mouth that I become really unhappy with that …

Well so maybe at least a brief mention of “real” welsh word when Englishisms are used in lessons, would be quite fine. Yes, I know, from my point of memory difficulties way harder but still fine. :slight_smile:

So much from me,. (hope didn’t kill conversation (again)) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunny:

As indeed you can and do say “S’il te plait” in French

Thanks - I’m going to experiment using ‘‘os gweli di yn dda’’ and see what reception I get. Hopefully, it will be well received.

Justin

Hi,

Have you heard of anyone using ‘‘Heddwas’’? If so - when would you use it?

Thanks for your help which is much appreciated,

Justin

‘Heddwas’ and ‘os gwelwch yn dda’/‘os gweli di’n dda’ both/all very normal and often used, although the same is true of their loanword equivalents :sunny:

I have to confess that i have never heard “Heddwas” being used but my normal experience of Welsh is geographically limited to South Ceredigion and North Sir Gar.

You live on the Italian side of the border, don’t you? I’ve heard both “per favore” and “per piacere” in common use but I’m not clear about whether they vary with location.

1 Like

As we stick by word “please” in Welsh, we, Slovenians have advantage here. No matter where you go you say “prosim”. We have one strange thing with that word though. When someone has done something for you you’ve requested them to do and you say “hvala” (thank you) we reply with “prosim” (please) or “ni za kaj” (“non c’e di che” would say Italians but I can’t find equivalent word in English).

Is in Welsh the similar situation or you actually have nothing to reply? (for little intermezzo of “plis” dabate if permited) :slight_smile:

When we say ‘diolch’, the response will often be ‘croeso’ :sunny:

1 Like

Ah, ja, I’ve remembered now. “Ni za kaj” would be somehow equivalent in Slovene but not entirely and “prosim” (as please) is much more common answer who knows why … :slight_smile: :sunny:

Now I’ve rememberred something (totally different (on topic)). I’ve written something about one video on twitter the other day and wondered what word for “video” is in Welsh. I found “fideo” but is that the only word (quite English (again) though) for this or it’s too modern for there would actually be one really Welsh word for that? (just spreading my thoughts) :slight_smile:

I tend to hear ‘‘per favore’’ often - I instinctively feel it is being used just as we use ‘‘please’’ in English.

I hesitate to give an educated opinion but I would expect to hear ‘‘per piacere’’ more in a type of situation where you might use the following construction …’‘would you be so kind to pass me that book please’’

To me ‘‘per piacere’’ feels more formal, almost contrived.

I yield to more knowledgeable opinions on this, though

2 Likes

Fideo is the only word I’ve heard for this :sunny:

1 Like

There is another useful Italian courtesy-word ‘‘prego’’ which is used like the French ‘‘Je vous en prie’’.

So if someone says ‘’ may I take the salt’’ you would typically reply ‘‘prego’’ - a sort of ‘‘please do’’

Sometimes if I say ‘‘Grazie’’ to a waiter who has brought me something in a restaurant, he/she will reply ‘‘prego’’ which would in that instance equate to the English ‘‘your welcome’’

This opinion bears the full authority of a ‘‘have a goer’’ in multiple languages who is just as likely to say ‘‘por favore’’ in Italy and ‘‘per favore’’ in Spain instead of vice versa:wink:

1 Like

Video is Latin, isn’t it?

Yup, just as we in Slovenia do then. Prosim - Hvala - Prosim … :slight_smile: I’ve learnt Italian but since never used it I forgot many things including this one. :slight_smile: Molto grazie! @JustinandEirwen Might gain some Italian knowledge back again …

Might be. I never learnt Latin though but since videre is very comon base for “to see” in many languages and I presume video basis from this word I believe yes.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

I came, I saw, I conquered (except the Celts)

1 Like

Or a modern variation:
veni, vidi, visa: “I came, I saw, I did a little shopping …”

Video is the 1st person singular present of “videre” I believe. There used to be a great comedy series originating in Scotland, with one character (when talking about VHS type videos) would pronounce the word with an exaggerated Latin pronunciation (albeit with a slight Scottish overlay): e.g. “shall we watch a vid-e-o…?”

1 Like

Yes it is. I’ve checked.

Certainly, in the 70’s/80’s when I used to visit Italy (Rome and Venice) ‘grazie’/‘prego’ seemed universally used.

I believe today it isn’t much different.