What am I hearing--or missing? Ongoing help for the hard-of-hearing

Thank you so much Mike.

That really helps me, because when I am unsure what it is I am hearing, an explanation or rule helps me over the obstacle which otherwise starts to take on gigantic proportions as the spectre of deafness looms large. It is like being confronted by a dragon (of the unfriendly variety–lurid green, not the lovely red Welsh one) and unless I can slay it (with a lot of help from my forum friends), I get stuck. Once the dragon has been sent packing, I feel confident to move on. Thank you again.

Oh, for anyone else reading this, and especially Aran–don’t worry, I really ‘get’ and love the SSiW approach and I am sticking to it, in fact I am romping along, or was until the ‘d’ (for dragon) stopped in my tracks. Dragon gone :dragon_face:

Nawr–dw i’n meddwl bydda i’n cerdded i’r darfarn a bydda i’n joio (a glass of) gwin.

Cheers,
Marilyn

2 Likes

Hello Tatjana, it seems like I am in good company if you are not 100% sure either, but you seem to have figured it out. Looks like someone else is offering us an explanation… Together we have solved the question. Great, on to the next…

Diolch eto,
Marilyn

1 Like

Hello @MarilynHames. I always like to read your comments and posts because they’re always full of colorful expressions. I bet at the end of the journey through all the Cymraeg courses you should write a little booklet titled with some poetic title …

Did you ever write a book or something? If yes, I’d surely be glad to read it in deed. :slight_smile:

Keep “fighting nasty green dragons” and keep posting us how it goes. I’m all eyes to read the next tale of your journey.

Ac, joyo yn y tafarn.

3 Likes

Iechyd da Marilyn! :slight_smile:

Sorry to disappoint you Tatjana, I have never written a book, but I grew up in Wales when Welsh- and Englsh-speakers alike were exposed to the Mabiniogian (sp?), taught Welsh folk songs and folk tales, and on St. David’s Day always took part in some kind of eisteddfod.

My earliest teachers were amazing story-tellers, in fact prior to TV we were all story-tellers: my granddad spinning yarns by the light of the coal fire, my dad doing the same. Nowadays, in my voluntary work I spend time with young children and with folk In hospitals, and love listening to their stories, or sharing ones that are a variation on ones I have heard. What fun!

As for writing them down, maybe that comes next, but for now, I am enjoying recovering the memory of those magical times when stories were told around the glow of the firelight. Somtimes I feel like a fossil from another age, but although the format and media of transmitting these tales are different, maybe there will be a renaissance in good old storytelling.

My dream is to be able to sit in the gentle glow of firelight (or computer screen :expressionless: ) and share tales with one another. In a romantic way learning Welsh is like stepping into that dream, so with every new word, or verb, or phrase I take another step closer to that dream.

My impression is that many people of every nation, tribe or culture also hold onto that dream–one in which the experiences in every life (whether funny, sad, mundane or illuminating) are treasured. Having worked in some of the most remote places on earth and even spent times trapped underground in mining or in buildings being ripped apart by the earth moving, my impression is that stories keep people going, hoping, learning, and wanting to live.

With its glorious history, mystery and renewal of the bardic traditions Welsh is like a pathway into the very soul of people because it is treasured and is enjoying new life–or so it seems, thanks to SSiW and no doubt other initiatives. So onwards Tatjana and fellow companions on this road :footprints:

Well, @MarilynHames, here’s only one person on this forum whom I could hear in my mind telling his story when I’ve read his posts, that one is @gruntius! And now you joined him. I could hear you telling a tale when I’ve read this post. So, Marilyn, keep on going, live your dream! I bet here’s wonderful journey ahead of you and there will be many tales to tell. Who knows, one day we might all sit around the fire and listen, listen …

I often think that after basic requirements like water, food, shelter and warmth have been met, one of the most important aspects of life is the telling of and the listening to stories. Not just for entertainment or relaxation, but for teaching, learning, enlightenment, and probably other things.

And as the best teachers being also story-tellers, so the best story-tellers are also teachers (whether officially or not). Anyone who has seen the film “Out of Africa” will remember how Karen Blixen was able to tell a story at the drop of a hat, just by being given a first line. I assume that this aspect of the film was basically true even if a little embroidered. A great gift to have.

And I’m sure that the bardic tradition was originally an oral one, with poems, songs and stories handed down through the generations by being heard and memorised (although fortunately some were also written down).

2 Likes

Talking of bardic traditions–ever noticed how it is easier to remember words that are set to music, or rhyme? The natural rhythm and music of Aran’s and Cat’s voices as they repeat phrases help the sounds lodge in my memory bank–a bit like when we learned our ‘times tables’. Words and phrases that are hard to wrap my head or tongue around at first become natural once I can grasp the ‘tune’ they make. Maybe it is that distinct music inherent in the language that will help it live on as an oral gift to future generations.

As for story-telling and making up something from a first line–isn’t that a game we used to play? A funny variation was to each have a sheet of paper, write the line of a story, fold it over and pass it on to the next person until it was full and just a thin folded strip. Read out afterwards, some of the stories were hilarious.

So, as this week comes to a close, here’s an update on my horse race (between Course 1 and Level 1)… “As they round the bend into the back straight, it is Gwers 17 leading by two lengths,… but Challenge 15 is gaining and looking good…” :wink:

4 Likes

I remember playing that as a kid! I loved that game. And yes, I agree it’s much easier to remember words when they’re set to music/rhythm/rhyme. I’d guess that’s where the theory behind mnemonics comes from. :smile:

2 Likes

I remember when I was on that teen forum as admin we had such topic. It wasn’t exactly the sheet of paper since we did it on the forum online but it went approximately the same way. Each person contributet something. It was not even neccessary it should be the whole sentence, it could be only a word or two (except only “a”, “the”, “ummm” and such stuff which are actually not words at all.) It’s hilarious what can come out of such game, really. Afterwards we played the same game on my slovene forum “O tem in onem” (About this and that) and I could laugh endlessly about what the story was. The forum was mixed - kids/adults (uh well it actually still is just it’s abandoned now) and it was fun to see what imagination each generation has …

Yah, I love storytelling …

As for your “race” @MarilynHames, your horses are running just great. I wouldn’t put a bet on either of them though as there’s not significent sign which will win at the end. :slight_smile:

Pob lwc ac dal ati! :smiley:

1 Like

Was that “Consequences”? Or was that something different?

I try to imitate their pitch, rhythm and intonation for that reason. The rhythm especially feels very important to me.

2 Likes

I had to Google it–you have got a good memory, it was called ‘Consequences’. The name rings a bell now.

OK, I’m a believer… in the 80% rule :grinning:.

‘Sure Aran’ I used to think to myself when your voice encouraged us to move on without being a perfectionist, because you promised plenty more practice on what we had already covered. I’ll be honest I was sceptical and clung to the security of going over lessons myself. BUT since I learned to trust the process this is becoming so much easier and more exciting, even if I do stumble over some things.

So now as Challenge 16 gains on Lesson 17 this is becoming a very interesting race. All bets are off as they gallop along the back straight. A few more hurdles yet, so it is anyone’s guess which will make it over the finish line first. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

And that sounds like someone who’s going to start acquiring Welsh considerably more quickly now… :thumbsup: :star: :star2:

1 Like

Oops, another hurdle…

Can someone please tell me the difference in meaning between:
A) Rhywun ddwedodd wrtha’i
B) Rhywun wnaeth ddweud wrtha’i

Diolch

None… :sunny:

They’re just two different ways of saying exactly the same thing (it’s the short form verb versus the long form verb - so just go with whatever comes to mind first)… :sunny:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn Aran.

Another hurdle jumped safely, and so now it is neck and neck–both horses are wearing the #17 but Challenge 17 in the red colours is making greet headway and in its stride as they approach the bend :sunglasses:

Seriously, I have found doing 3-4 lessons of each approach helps set or vary the pace, and they help one another. Crazy? That’s racing for you!

4 Likes

As the horses round the final bend Challenge has taken the lead clearing fence #19, but Gwers in the green shirt has cleared the tricky water jump #17 and is gaining ground, taking the curve on the inside, close to the rail…

So what’s all this racing commentary about? Just my bit of fun as I pit the newer format against the old in an interesting run-off. I used to love listening to racing, or better still, the cricket commentaries on the radio–just something about them, but then there was always the ‘Shipping Forecast’ to put me to sleep. :expressionless:

Do they read the ‘Shipping Forecast’ in Welsh too?

Nos da,
Marilyn

3 Likes

And do you remember the Wimbledon radio commentaries, with Max Robertson

with his “forehand down the line” and all the other phrases?
Much more exciting than TV commentary.
(Sadly I can’t find any examples on Youtube).

What a lovely thought. If not, let’s start a petition now.

Son am radio commentary, have you heard the story that supposedly, the expression “back to square one” comes from the early days of radio? According to the story, when commentating on football, the pitch was notionally divided into squares and the commentators would inform the listeners which square the ball was in at any given moment.

Now in some ways, this has the ring of truth. I can imagine it might be something that the BBC might have done in its early days, when radio was still a bit experimental and no one was quite sure how listeners were going to react and what would work and what wouldn’t work. And I can imagine the BBC solemnly printing a diagram of a football pitch in the Radio Times with the squares superimposed upon it.

However, it also has the makings of an excellent urban myth! And I really don’t know if it’s true or not. My heart would like to believe it’s true, but my head tells me it’s a myth. :slight_smile:

1 Like