What am I hearing--or missing? Ongoing help for the hard-of-hearing

Urban myth? Nagw, nadw, nag ones, or whatever… Oral tradition–‘back to square one’ (as you explained it) that is what it is–nothing less, or a kind of modern-day manifestation. Now I believe it started with soccer commentary and I’m going to spread the word (orally of course).

Oh how I loved radio, and still prefer it over TV because it leaves you free to use the imagination and do other things at the same time. CBC, like the BBC has some really thoughtful, and of course also very entertaining broadcasts–‘It is definitely not the opera’ is great, or ‘Tapestry’, or North by North-west’ .

But sport… That takes the biscuit (any idea where that expression comes from? I digress)… How many clouds have come over, bowlers run up from the gas holder end, fielders waited for a tickle, or pigeons joined them on the pitch?

There must be some wonderful Welsh expressions too, or ones that have been translated into English giving a certain local flavour… Like ‘over by here’–where does that come from? Or ‘yes, no, aye’? Come on folks, let’s make a collection of this emerging oral tradition–something to enjoy capturing for posterity :cd:

Excellent, well done the Challenges! Go on the Challenges! Come ON! :sunny:

1 Like

Or how about ‘give us a cwtch’…? Maybe that is just a Cardiff expression, like ‘cwtchy’

Good news, bad news… The good news is that I seem to have trained my ear and brain to register the sounds–yippee! The bad news? Phew, what when my tongue is twisted into a pretzel and my throat runs dry after all the ‘ch’ sounds in Gwers 19–wnaethoch chi…? Is it all the excitement?

Mae isie I fi gwydred nau ddau as Challenge in the red shirt clears the sticks on fence #20, but Gwers puts on a spurt, coming on strong and gaining ground as they come around the bend. (What me going around the bend? Who said that?) :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well … excitement, yes, why not!

I believe a glass of water will help to maintain your throat “wet” and something stronger will do the task with tongue twisted into pretzel. :slight_smile: (if you ought to drink something “stronger” though) at least I’ve heard something like this in the past. :slight_smile:

Oh and now, siriously: I believe with Cymraeg “ch” there’s no worries. When I learnt Deutsch I had bigger problems. I just wanted to sound like a german and was into practice every single day every single time to say their “r” properly. Unfortunately it costed me soar throat about 2 or 3 times before I could say all those "r"s properly and they’re harder to say then (as you say) “rolling r”.

So … Paid becso. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

mae gwydred neu ddau yn mantra ail o SSiW, tydy…? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beats ‘Om’ any day as far as I am concerned…

While I am deaf, my husband has noticed that I either have selective hearing, or something is programmed into my clever hearing devices that can pick up ‘do you want a drink?’ from the other end of the house, on different floors and with the dishwasher churning away. Makes me wonder why he has to ask–the answer is always the same–only the beverage changes depending on the time of day… Which reminds me, must be coffee time here (9:30 am)…

Hywl,
Marilyn

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice Tatjana, I like your suggestions :wine_glass:

I suppose it is like many things–easier to learn as a child, but maybe what I am enjoying through SSiW is the fun of being young again–experimenting, learning, making mistakes without any sense of shame but being encouraged not to worry about them–all those things about being a child, while still over the legal ‘drinking age’ :beers:

Hywl,
Marilyn

1 Like

hehe …

Ask me at 10:30 at night and it’ll still be coffee for me. :slight_smile:

:coffee:

1 Like

…And as they come into the home straight,… Yes, it is neck and neck… Challenge in the red and Gwers in the green are both clear of fence #20, both in their stride…

What a race we are having folks. Could be a photo finish

:horse_racing::horse_racing:

2 Likes

Marilyn, your progress reports are always a joy to read! They always make me smile. :smile:

1 Like

@MarilynHames you are the best, so I’ve put a little effort at early morning (2:44 am right now) here in Slovenia and created something especially for you. You deserve to have your own book …

What this book should contain is up to you, but your stories make a lot of people on here happy and eager to read more and more so keep posting, keep learning, keep hearing your own symphony of sounds.

Da iawn ti! Ti’n gweithio yn da iawn! Dal ati!

Mae’n rhaid i fi fynd i gysgu nawr. Nos da! :slight_smile:

(oh, and this time (for a change) the graphics credits don’t go to me - they are royalty free graphics. I just put some imagination into all of this to create a magic out of them combining them together in just right proportions)

6 Likes

Wow Tatjana,

This is absolutely marvellous–you are marvellous! Words fail me in Welsh, English, or any other language to describe how happy this made me when I opened up SSiW to have a sneak peek before running off to work. Now I am ‘awyddus’ to come home and start filling in the ‘book’ you have created.

Thanks to you, I go off with a happy heart to help others, so like a rock dropped in a lake, your creativity and kindness will be sending ripples to far-off shores, maybe lapping around the world several times before I come home to write further.

Diolch yn fawr iawn, you are a very special person from everything I have read on this forum–always encouraging,… And now this, so perfect for me.

May you always receive 100-fold the goodness you give so freely!

Marilyn

3 Likes

I will only humbly and simply say

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

I’m happy when people are happy.

Gwers is surging ahead, clearing fence #22 as Challenge recovers beautifully from a slight stumble just before fence #21… or did Gwers bump him trying to squeeze him out?

The stewards may be called to rule on that, but they are both still in the race, with Challenge making a determined comeback as Gwers bogs down in the soft turf, the jockey urging him on. Gwers has definitely slowed down,… Can’t see quite what is going on, folks, but both horses are giving us a run for our money…

3 Likes

Oh I see the reason Gwers is bogging down–a nasty tense change in the third person has thrown him off balance… The cwestiwn we are all asking is whether Challenge can see the difficulty and swerve to avoid it… :horse_racing::horse_racing:

2 Likes

C’mon Challenge! :sunny:

1 Like

Help folks! What is the Welsh for ‘that he’ and ‘that she’ please?

OK, I get… that I is ‘fy mod i’ and that you is ‘dy fod ti’… but somehow I cannot grasp the pattern for the 3rd person and it is driving me crackers because now Challenge is also bogging down after a wobbly landing after fence #21. Maybe there is also a short form like bo’fi and bo’ti that I am hearing but not getting.

Oh, come on Callenge, don’t give up now–I know someone in the stands will shout out just the right words to cheer you on. Don’t let Gwers pip you at the post after such a valiant effort. C’m on :horse_racing::horse_racing:

1 Like

ei fod o (e), a ei bod hi (dw i’n credu). fod o yn y gogledd, fod e yn y du.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Brilliant, thank you so much… Yes, got it!

See Challenge run now… He’s got the bit between his teeth, and really in his stride. At this rate he should overtake Gwers with just a few more hurdles to go. Of course anything can happen, but Challenge is gathering momentum… The chase is on. I almost can’t watch…

:horse_racing::horse_racing:I

3 Likes