What am I hearing--or missing? Ongoing help for the hard-of-hearing

Every now and again I need to do a quick mental review, even though it is also built into the lessons.

How? What works for me is to flip through the text as a mini test, then play the last few minutes of any lessons or challenges that contain a pattern or phrases that don’t form a natural melody or rhythm yet.

I used to do the same when studying music–go over certain phrases until the mental ‘muscle memory’ was established. Full credit to the way SSiW works, because that ‘muscle memory’ has developed already to the point that many phrases just pop out automatically–not all, but it is a work in progress.

…So after studying their form, since both Gwers and Challenge come out of the same stables, had the same trainer, and both have excellent pedigrees, I’d be hard-pressed to call the odds even at this late stage in the race,… But if I were a gambler, my money would be on…:horse_racing::horse_racing:

3 Likes

Mae’n ddrwg ‘da fi, ond sut wyt ti’n dweud …‘that I shouldn’t…’? I thought is was bo’ ddylen I ddim… but I think I am hearing something else, as in ‘your mother told me that I shouldn’t say anything.’

Diolch.

…Challenge has drawn level with Gwers again, so after both clearing hurdle #22 it is anyone’s race again

If you say that in a conversation, most people won’t even pick up on it - but what you’re probably hearing at this stage is ‘na ddylwn i ddim’… :sunny:

C’mon Challenge!

1 Like

That’s it Aran–you are brilliant, because it was a ‘na’ that I was hearing, sort of. I cannot thank you enough for being so helpful, because not to belabour a point, if I think I am missing a sound it stirs up an anxiety that is more to do with wondering if my remnant hearing is deteriorating than the Welsh. If anything, the very fact that I am ‘mastering’ how to SSiW is a huge boost to my self confidence. And today is one of my Skype days…

So, Challenge, onwards… We are in the last furlong or so, just a couple of fences to clear. You must be tired, but just think about that glorious finish line and a well-earned feed :horse_racing::horse_racing:

2 Likes

Sometimes it works to just sleep on it–ever noticed that?

You listen then try to imitate a word or phrase that trips off the tongues of Aran and Cat, but it just refuses to stick in your own mind. You try a game of associations, then visualization, repeat it over and over, but two seconds later it is as new to you as when it was first introduced. Perhaps you have reached saturation point, or are fighting a losing battle with some ancient Welsh language demon :dragon:

Do you know the answer? Say the demon’s name three times before falling asleep and nine times out of ten when you wake up you’ve got it–you win.

Talking of winning, both Challenge and Gwers seem perfectly matched having paced one another beautifully, each urging the other on. But timing is everything in this race–will one try to put a spurt on and make a break for it in the final furlong, or will it be neck and neck through the to the finish line? :horse_racing::horse_racing:

2 Likes

The crowd is going nuts as Challenge clears fence #23 with ease… but, will you look at this… Gwers is trying to challenge Challenge on the inside,… Both horses are in their stride, as It is still neck and neck with just 2 more hurdles to go…

2 Likes

I see @aran on the stand shouting “Come on Challenge, COME ON!” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And it’s Challenge in the lead folks, Challenge ahead by a short head… Gwers in the green is coming a close second… They are well ahead of the field… Nothing can stop them… This is just a two-horse race… It has been from the start… Watch them go…:horse_racing::horse_racing:

1 Like

My bet is on a photo finish. (probably drawn by Tatjana).

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Challenge cleared the last fence (#24) slightly ahead of Gwers, both horses taking it in their stride and landing beautifully… What a ride their jockeys have had,… But on the home stretch, it’s Challenge in the red racing for the finish with Gwers in hot pursuit…

Can the younger horse keep his head and hold him off? He still has a few things to learn (in #25), while Gwers has done this all many times before…

Challenge is moving over trying to squeeze Gwers out, but Gwers has plenty of momentum,… Can Gwers push through the gap–he’s done it all before (#25 is nothing new for the one in green)? Red and green, green and red, it’s a blur… :horse_racing::horse_racing:

3 Likes

Seriously friends, I had no idea when I began learning Welsh through SSiW that I could possibly progress this quickly, but once I got into my stride (thanks to your help and encouragement), I took Aran’s advice about setting a goal. It was to complete the first Course of 25 Lessons, or Gwers, by 25th December–Christmas. However, once I started reading the discussions about which format is the better, and what to do if you started on the original version (which I did), I thought that once I reached a natural break (around Gwers 7), I would move over.

The approaches are different, and both appealed to me for different reasons, although I would say that the new version really seems to equip us for more natural and varied conversations. Seeing benefits in both, I have not alternated them so much as studied natural groups of lessons in each, but never letting either go stale. Most days I spend an hour at this, some closer to 2 hours, but here I am, almost on my 2-month anniversary (on 25th) and a month ahead of schedule looking like I could complete both Gwers and Challenge #25 within a couple of days–on the 25th November.

When I finish the horse race I will ‘interview’ the jockeys in the winner’s enclosure to compare their rides as a more practical retrospective for others also juggling the both formats, or deciding if, how and when to switch. For me, I have found that things got easier as the ‘race’ progressed, partly because the two approaches started to inform one another, or help things gel as time went by. However, the design of the new course is really stimulating, more varied, and seems to introduce more vocabulary–but maybe that is not true.

Argh, talking of vocabulary sessions, what if Gwers pips Challenge at the post… Will the stewards be brought in and disqualify the horse because it should have jumped through the vocabulary sessions too? This could be bad news for anyone betting on the green!

3 Likes

Yes - consolidation is a well-recognised element of learning, and sleep is an important part of consolidation… :sunny:

And you’ve done absolutely brilliantly - you’ve given yourself the base that will make you a Welsh speaker - and in precious little time! :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Aha … now I know everything … :slight_smile:

Does “sleeping” on the bus count? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe a little bit, but good quality sleep is important!.. :sunny:

1 Like

ZZZZZzzzzz-- 'Dw i’n hoffi’r Gwers ma…

Diolch yn fawr iawn Aran… a bydda i’n ymarfer mwy nawr… Zzzzzz :expressionless:

1 Like

Paid cysgu? Dw e ddim yn awr na eto. :slight_smile: - haha

1 Like

Hooves thundering, hearts soaring they pass the finish together… It is going to be a close call,… We are still waiting to hear the result… JP called it right, it’s a photo finish. My money is on Challenge home first by a short head, a nose more like it…

It’s coming over the loudspeaker now… YES, Challenge the odds on favourite wins the SSiW First Course Cup… Gwers gave it everything,… Wait… What’s this? They are going to share the prize… Chwarae teg, you can’t have a better end to a good time than that except :beers:

8 Likes

Challenge a worthy winner! Fantastic work that course…:wink:

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m doing lesson 7 (southern) and I’ve already learnt that “I will…” is Bydda i’n. Now I was supposed to say “I don’t know how I will do it” or something like that, so I said “…sut bydda i’n ei wneud e”, but I think Cat and Iestyn are saying “…sut fydda i’n…” with the f-sound. Is that true? Does a question word change the following letter from b to f? Or am I just hearing things?

Thanks a lot!
Astrid

The example you give is a negative,
Bydd i’n ( i will)

Fydd i ddim (i will not) (note: no yn, 'n before the ddim though it may well come after it)

Cheers J.P.

1 Like