What am I hearing?

Here is the transcript for the second sound clip. For reference:

second sound clip

So, oedd yn rili horrible i fi gael (hynna). Ac dwi’n cofio o’n i’n gorod nif trelaill a beth o’n i’n gwneud

There’s more, but nif trelaill… is the part that I can’t understand…and it’s mainly the word trelaill unless ‘nif’ and whatever ‘trellaill’ is are one word.

[quote=“cyd, post:181, topic:175”]
So, oedd yn rili horrible i fi gael hynna. Ac dwi’n cofio o’n i’n gorod niwtraleisio be’ o’n i’n gwneud… pan o’n i’n cael y meddwl yna, o’n i fatha yn gorfod pwshio allan o 'mhen i…
[/quote].

Diolch!

Small question…what does ‘niwtraleisio’ mean? It’s not in the online University of Wales geiriadur or the ap geiriaduron…

It’s an English word - neutralise - that’s why… :sunny:

1 Like

My apologies if I’ve missed this already having been addressed, but I have a question as to the proper way to say the word “ffwrdd.” Is the “dd” at the end to be pronounced or no? I think I’ve been hearing it both ways in the lessons, and so remain unsure. Thanks very much.

If you’re speaking formally, yes, but it will very commonly be dropped in ordinary conversation… :sunny:

Mae hynny’n egluro hi wedyn. Diolch.

1 Like

I give in! there is a word I can’t work out that I hear on the radio, usually in news programmes, during something about a court case. My ears have picked it up as the word ‘thyroid’, and I have tried looking up sensible spellings and variations but I don’t know what the word is or maybe it’s not a whole word. There is an example in the Radio Cymru Post Prynhawn program on the 29th November, the word is at the 35 minute and 27 second moment. Can someone listen to it in context and enlighten me?

1 Like

I think you are hearing ‘a thair oed’ (‘and three years’). I hear ‘wyth deg a thair oed’, presumably the person involved was 83 years old!

Does that make sense?

5 Likes

Sounds like you’ve cracked Polly’s question Helen.

There is one thing that I kept hearing (not in that programme - I mean on Radio Cmyru in general), and not understanding or finding, and it sounded like

“a fisc” or similar.

The nearest I have found is “ar fysg” (from mysg), meaning “amongst”. However, I’m not 100% sure if that’s it. I can’t quote any context at the moment. I just seem to hear it randomly from time to time.

Duh, yes, makes perfect sense now, you can state the obvious any time! I can now relax and listen to the news without worrying about folks with bad thyroid glands engaging on crime sprees. On the other hand people are going to wonder why I smirk when I hear that someone is ‘something deg a thair oed’.
Thanks Helen

3 Likes

Would ‘addysg’ (education) fit?

4 Likes

The one that jumps out at me when I am listening to Radio Cymru, because it took me ages to find out what it was, is ‘ledled’ as in ‘ledled Cymru’, meaning throughout Wales. I haven’t been able to find it in a dictionary and I’m not even sure it’s one word and if it’s mutated from lled? It comes up often, in the weather forecast, sports reports and the news!

2 Likes

Place names have led me a merry dance in the past, e.g. Trallwng, which of course is not a dictionary word. At least I know to try looking up a tricky ‘word’ in a gazetteer now.

It is in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru. Lledled or led led meaning wider and wider, spreading etc. I have never heard that one, so cheers.

2 Likes

ledled y tir - throughout the land.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I am fascinated! Do you mean your original example was of a person of eighty three on a crime spree??? Makes me wonder about taking up a whole new career…shame about my blocked airways…!!! :wink:

1 Like

I’ll bet that’s it! Diolch Helen.

Ww, you’re good at this! :star: :star2:

2 Likes

she was good at bootcamp (the sort of neighbor i could do with).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like