What am I hearing?

That was quick, thanks…so you’d only say it to another chap…not a girl?

I wouldn’t say it to anyone, really! - but I’ve heard girls use it to each other - dunno how common that is, though.

Interesting…that’s lovely, thanks…:slight_smile:

Thanks for this Diane - maybe one day I might give it a go, but I know it’s out of my league right now. I thought draws would be easier then groes but I notice a lot of the great cynghanedd seem to move between them. :slight_smile:

In the second episode of Hinterland the mam is drying her daughter’s hair when there’s a knock at the door. She says what the subtitles display as ‘Just a minute’ but sounds like ‘rhos ych munud.’ Any ideas?

Also, am I the only one struggling to understand the Welsh bits in Hinterland?

I think that’s aroswch munud which means wait a minute. Aroswch is the command from aros (wait)

Diolch, gerryf.

I’m thinking also that the subtitles for Hinterland are more of a general translation.

Er enghraifft, in one scene, the actress clearly says ‘ac wedyn?’ but the subtitles say ‘what’s after that?’ Which is similar in meaning but not helpful if you’re trying to figure out a word or words

I’ve noticed that a lot with Pobol y Cwm, too. Something to bear in mind if using the subtitles to help with language-learning.

Ugh…so frustrating!

It is, but at least the fact that we notice when the English subtitles don’t match the spoken Welsh proves we have learned a good bit Happy

I never thought about it like that. Diolch Carole!

I’ve got another I hope someone can help with.

In Pobol y Cwm, a character says
Pam? Sy’n bod arni?

When looking up the above phrase, I see beth sy’n bod ar arno fe (what’s wrong with him) and other variations but not the specific one I heard. It’s also little tough to tell what’s being said in context; the character who says it is annoyed and says it in response to her partner…who’s just said Oedd Marc yn becsio as an explanation for why he needs to go.

Could it mean “Why? What’s wrong?”

Pam? (Beth) sy’n bod arni?
Why? What’s wrong/the matter with her?

Examples:
Beth sy’n bod arnoch chi?

• What’s the matter with you?
    Beth sy’n bod arnat ti?
  • What’s the matter with you?
    Beth sy’n bod arnyn nhw?
  • What’s wrong with them?

Ah, wrth gwrs, Dinas. Mae hi’n siarad am hi…the woman Marc is with.

I have another…also from Pobol y Cwm
fyddi di’n trusto hon a disgwyl arol dy busnes
This was said after the same person said, basically what do they say about trusting the lunatics to run the asylum (i think) after her husband leaves off talking to someone and rejoins her.

I thought hon meant this…can it ever mean ‘her’?

I remember that dialogue. To me it meant ‘this’ as in ‘this female’ referring to her in a rather impolite fashion to put her down.

@Dee: So it would be something like
You would trust this to look after your business

Also (yes, another Pobol y Cwm related question) I heard someone say…I think
Dyna Mike. Os nac i’ti’n mwyn timoedd (timau?) ti a fi…
This is after someone asks her what sounds like
Dwi di gwneud rhywbeth oeleh eto
Which I think means something like Have I done something wrong again? (I don’t know what the word that sounds like ‘oeleh’ is)

I thought ‘dyna’ meant ‘here’ but it doesn’t make much sense here…

“Dyna” means “there”. (“Dyma” means “here”).
“Dyna Mike” means “There’s Mike”.

“O’i le” (that is, o ei le <[lle]) does indeed mean out of place, wrong.

Hope that helps a bit!

Dyna = That’s (that is)
rhywbeth o’i le = Something out of it’s place = something wrong

And Rob Bruce is of course correct with “that’s Mike”. It can mean either, and Rob may well make more sense in this context!

Unfortunately I wasn’t clear in my earlier post…the someone who’s asking Debbie “Have I done something wrong” is Meic.

That’s why the Dyna Meic is confusing…why would she say “There’s Meic” when she’s already speaking to Meic?