What am I hearing?

It could be along the lines of ‘Well, that’s what you’re like’ - although I’d want to hear the clip to be certain…

Ah…it’s for an episode of Pobol y Cwm that’s long gone off of S4C. That’s okay…it’ll suddenly make sense after listening to it for the hundredth time.

I have another “What am I hearing” that is confusing me. I’m hearing a word that sounds a lot like maddau…only it can’t be maddau because it doesn’t make sense given the context.

For example, I’ve heard: Ble maddau?

Is there another word that sounds like maddau but means something else?

Could it possibly be a very southerny ‘ble mae fe’?

Could be, could be. I’ll listen extra close again, thanks!

1 Like

Can I borrow this thread for a quick query?

I keep hearing something on Radio Cymru which sounds like “anwedig,” but I don’t think that’s a word. I don’t think it’s “anweledig.”

Anyone know what I’m hearing? Thanks!

The best shot you can give for context will always make a huge difference, Joanie - with this one, my first try will be ‘anedig’ or ‘anwydus’ - has being born or having a cold got any chance at being connected to it?!

1 Like

Enwedig?

3 Likes

Thanks @aran - I’m not so sure of the context because most of the time I’m just keeping the radio on for background noise (and I don’t understand most of it anyway), but that word keeps sticking out.

and thanks to you, too, @robbruce. I think you must be right about enwedig. This is another way of saying arbennig?

Yn enwedig means especially or in particular. So, in the context of Radio Cymru a presenter may play a song yn enwedig i Siôn Rhys, Bethesda, or a weather forecast may predict rain yn enwedig yn y gogledd.

2 Likes

No need to ask…quick queries are what this thread is for!

And @aran, you were right…definitely ble mae fe

1 Like

I’ve got a new What am I Hearing question for everyone

This phrase comes from Pobol y Cwm…specifically this episode in the very first scene.

Sheryl is warning Dani that there will be lots of interest in the property and she says:

Wedon ni (sp?) beth diddordeb mawr d’'lot o pobl mewn ti mewn Cari Gwyn

I (somewhat) understand the rest of the sentence after Wedon ni…I think it’s what large interest by lots of people in the Cari Gwyn house…but I’m confused by Wedon ni. I could understand Wedon nhw…, i.e. They said what large interest… but I don’t understand how Wedon ni… i.e. We said what large interest… if Sheryl is talking to Dani. Unless she’s referring to herself in the third person…

Is the link right there’s no sound video?

I’d guess it’s ‘Wedwn i’ - ‘I’d say’ - and probably ‘bydd’ instead of ‘beth’ - I’m a bit suspicious of ‘mewn tŷ mewn Cari Gwyn’, though - might you have misheard that bit?

1 Like

Just heard on the radio - ar gyfer bobl hŷn/for older people

So hŷn comes after bobl where hen would come before - ar gyfer hen bobl/for old people?

Yup

pobl hŷn = older people
hen bobl = old people

Diolch!!!

@aran…it could’ve been bydd instead of beth…those two are difficult for me to tell apart. And I did mishear the mewn ty mewn…it sound more like mewn ty mae’r.

Is wedwn i the Northern way of saying wedai i?

@dinas that is correct…no audio file. I have an audio recording, but since the episode isn’t available via BBC, I’d rather not post it. Don’t want to get SSiW in trouble…

Another question from Pobol y Cwm…in this episode, during Gem’s confrontation with Stacy, she says Plis, peidio bod grac da fi. then something that sounds like Wedwch chi bod ni’n dulu.

Unfortunately there’s no dulu in Welsh…what could that word be?-

DWLU: a southern word meaning love/fond - Dwi’n dwlu (ar) SSIW/I love SSIW…Dwi’n dwlu ar siocled/I love chocolate.

1 Like

Diolch @dinas…and that dwlu is pronounced deelee?

Unfortunately I’ve got another “what am I hearing” and once again it’s from Pobol y Cwm.

In the first scene between Sion and Britt in this episode, Sion and Britt are discussing the purchase of a marriage license for the pub. In one of Britt’s replies she says what sounds like beth oedd dros da ben di

The trusty Google Translate says that the above means what was good for top free. I’m pretty sure this means that I’m hearing something wrong again. Any ideas?

Dros dy ben di? Over your head?

And was the first one ni’n deulu - we’re family?

Not having heard these makes it quite difficult!