What am I hearing?

Beth oedd dros dy ben di
I think it translates as - “What was over your head/What came over you.”

1 Like

Yes, I remember that scene, and Britt’s attitude - “What on earth came over you?” or “What on earth were you thinking?” - would be the equivalent in English

@robbruce I thought that teulu was pronounced tay-lee…in the episode Gem definitely pronounces it with two “ee’s”…like tee-lee. In spite of that, the word family fits both in the phrase and in the context of the scene; Stacy and Kath have just realized Gem has lied to them and Gem is trying to convince them not to be angry.

Also, sorry about the lack of audio…unfortunately none is available…

@dinas and @Deborah-SSi, diolch! That clears up a couple of things I’ve heard in Pobol y Cwm.

Hopefully no questions from me for a while…

I’d say ‘wedwn i’ is very southern :sunny:

Ah. So another case of multiple ways to say the same thing. Good to know.

Another question…and please, feel free to tell me to lay off them for a while as I know I’ve been asking a lot in this thread…is there a saying in Welsh that goes dau law lan and is similar to the English saying cards on the table?

I think that the following might be of help-
“wedwn i” means “I would say”, ie “I’d say”,
rather than
“Weda i” (is that what you were comparing it to?) which means “I will say”, ie “I’ll say”.

The same verb ending in “wedwn” you find in “hoffwn” or “licwn” for “I would like”, if that makes any sense to you.
Not sure if that helps- or, indeed, if it is true!mso wait for confirmation or otherwise from someone who knows what they are talking about.

“Dwylo lan” means “hands up”, which sounds like it could be used in such a situation. A complete guess though, so again, wait for confirmation from someone who knows more.

I’ll try googling it…

Ask away! It’s why the forum is here :sunny:

I can imagine someone saying ‘dwylo lan’ in a similar kind of context, so if this is something you heard that you’re trying to figure out, that’s probably the one you’re after, as Ow said :sunny:

Yes…I was comparing it to Weda i…thanks. Does wedwn i sound like weh-daw-nee or weh-dwee…as I’m fairly sure I heard Sheryl say the former…which is where my original confusion came from.

“Wedwn” is pronounced “wed” plus “oon”.
With the “oo” sound as in the english “good”.

[Or, alternatively, pronounced exactly as it is spelled in Welsh ;-)]

[the ending can be pronounced “en” instead of “wn”, but it sounds like you can ignore this bit of information in this case!]

2 Likes

Another two questions…one Pobol y Cwm and one general…

In this episode of Pobol y Cwm…in the scene where Sion and Sioned are arguing about the guest, Sion says something right before he leaves to go downstairs that sounds like Beth yw gwiddoddu croeso cannes cymraeg…and I think he’s saying “What happened to the warm Welsh welcome” but I’m not sure about gwiddoddu.

As for the general question…it’s about something I heard on Pobol y Cwm but it’s more about patterns; I heard the phrase So fen deg arna ni (which I’m probably spelling wrong). Is it a Welsh pattern to say It’s not fair on us where in English one would say It’s not fair to us?

Thanks in advance…

Hi, Cyd! Would it be possible to give a direct link/date to the programme with a rough time link?

Well, as to the first, “digwydd” means “to happen”, so maybe something along the lines of

“Beth ddigwyddodd i[?'r?] croeso cynnes Cymraeg*”

I haven’t heard the episode in question, though.

[*/Cymreig]

1 Like

Yes, but it’s a perfect example of the kind of thing it’s much better to learn by osmosis than by a rule set…:wink:

Otherwise, Owain’s on the money, I think - 9 out of 10’ll get you ‘Be ddigwyddodd i’r croeso cynnes Cymraeg?’ :sunny:

@dinas Unfortunately S4C is strict about programme availability; once the episode has expired there’s no way (that I know of) to access it. :-(.

@aran Actually, I’d heard “the thing” a few times while listening to Pobol y Cwm, which led to my question. I wish I could provide some examples but I can’t remember any of them. I do remember that when I heard them I thought, “if Welsh people say “…on me/us” instead of “…to me/us” that would explain a lot of what I’m hearing and I wonder if the English manner of saying “…to me/us” as in “it’s not fair to me” is confusing?

1 Like

How do you spell “I enjoyed it”?

Is it: “Do, joies i fe”?

1 Like

Yeah, that’d work :sunny:

In an episode of Pobol y Cwm (from when Eifion was still on crutches and before the holiday rugby episode) I heard Dai say something in response to Colin that I couldn’t make out.

Colin: A di, uh, “Batman” yn dod da ga fed
Dai: MacBride achan yr yonk

I think yonk may be “Yank”…but what is achan?

Also in the beginning of that same scene, Eifion is talking with Colin about keeping up his scam. He says:

“…rhoi cadw ‘facade’ mae anrhol y pentref”

What word would anrhol be?

And one more…is “am bwyta lle” a Welsh colloquialism? If so, what does it mean?

I think - (b)achan - boy.

Perhaps - about an eating place. Lle Bwyta - eating place.

1 Like

Wff…Traws!! Nathi laff!! Diolch!!

Got this on the, Gwibdaith, Facebook page. Anyone have a translation?

Traws seems to mean “trans” or “cross” (as a prefix), but found some hits on mymemory.translated where it seemed to mean “interrupt”.

(unless it’s something to do with “trowser” :slight_smile: )

oh, geiriadur.net gives “perverse” as a secondary meaning…