What am I hearing?

I could be completely wrong, but I’m thinking “Nathi laff” is a slangy phrase for “you’re having a laugh!” or “had a laugh!”. I’m swaying more to the latter than the former, but would love to know what it actually means.

As for “Wff…Traws!!”, sounds like they might be annoyed about something…

@dinas: Could be…but I’m not sure the statement would make sense if achan was boy…unless i’m missing something…

@cyd I have the video file and the English subtitles on my computer still - the subtitles say:

Colin: “Right. Is Batman coming with him?”
Dai: “McBryde, you idiot.”

I listened to that bit again, and Ionc is a common insult Dai uses on the show but I also can’t make out what he’s saying in those other words. It almost sounds like he says “hanner ionc” - maybe it’s an insult like “halfwit?”

Perhaps similar to “hanercof” = “half-witted”.

1 Like

Ionc - thickhead, twit…So half-witted…hanner/ionc fits the bill.

Thanks @joanie and @dinas!
@joanie…did you happen to hear an “a” or “ach” before that “anner”?

The ‘Traws’ bit is referring to a gig they did in Trawsfynydd… :sunny:

The ‘nathi’ bit must be ‘wnaeth hi’ - so basically, that’s so far through and out the other side of slang it’s almost gone round the world and come back into a new form of grammar…:wink:

2 Likes

Yes - it almost sounded like “ya hanner ionc” to me, but I don’t think the “ya” (as an abbreviation of you) makes sense. I couldn’t figure it out.

This is probaby ‘am biti’r lle’ - a southern colloquialism which you’ll see spelt in different ways - meaning, here, more or less ‘around/about the place’… :sunny:

1 Like

I seem to remember we talked on the forum once about “am biti mis” (hope that’s correct), the southern equivalent of “am tua mis”.

Not sure if this is the thread I was thinking of, but it looks relevant:

1 Like

Hello all. Need some help, and I apologize if this question is a repeat. What am I hearing when “wedi” is spoken during lessons 7-8/northern? I went through the two a couple times, quite sure I was hearing “wendy”, but then I did a no-no and snuck a peak at the lesson guide (still struggling with my milk), and I saw it spelled without an “n”. I guess that it could mean nothing since I don’t know my letters and “d” may very well be pronounced “nd”. I’ve skimmed through the recordings for a third time now and I swear I’m hearing “wendy” as well as “weddy”, “wetty” and sometimes “wheaty”. Help!
Diolch!
(:smile:
Mike

Hi, Mike! I hear wedi pronounced weddy. Just a question are you doing the original course as there’s now a new Course 1? I ask as I believe the new course might be slightly different…You’ll find it under the learn banner top of page.

1 Like

I thought that was it. I just wanted to hear somebody else say it too. I’m doing the original course at the moment. Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

Aaaand I just got that joke…weeks after asking about it.

Diane: " Robin is [coming]"
Colin: “Right…is Batman coming with him?”
Dai: “McBryde, you idiot.”

FYI, @owainlurch, I figured out that Sion was saying What happened to the warm Welsh welcome? and that I’d frequently misheard digwyddodd because of the emphasis on the second syllable…

In an episode of Caryl (sorry, no link…BBC only keeps the last 4 episodes) during which triniaethau amgen was discussed, I heard a word that sounded like emotu. I don’t think it’s the word emotional…which according to App Geiriaduron is emosiynol…but could it be an alternate pronunciation or “Welshinglishism”?

Here’s the questionable word in context…or as much of the context I could understand:
Dwi’n edrych (something) fel ni gorffori emotu’r car, a dwi’n edrych (something) emotu i corff.

Dwi’n edrych ymlaen - I’m looking forward to…
So possibly: Dwi’n edrych ymlaen i M.O.T y corff. I’m looking forward to M.O.T the body.

Maybe: Dwi’ edrych ymlaen fel ni gorffori M.O.Ting y gar. I’m looking forward as we incorporate/embody the car’s MOT.
I wonder if MOT might have the meaning of - health check?

@dinas: FYI, the “something” sounded like yndo fe not ymlaen

The ‘car’ -> ‘corff’ thing makes me thing that Kim is right about this being ‘M.O.T.’ in some way…

Last night I was listening to Tommo on the way home. I am sure I heard him say “Tommo yma tan byth” it may have been “am byth” Any ideas which it was please? The context appears to have been “Tommo here as always” or similar. Perhaps I heard it wrong… hope this is not a stupid question… :blush: