What am I hearing?

Was listening to the Caryl Parry Jones podcast episode on ‘Y gosb eithaf’ again and I heard the first guess say a word that sounded like dieiswlu or dieisolu in the following context:

ond oedd’r heddlu ddim yn barod i gwrandau arno hi gan fod gan ddi…oedd hi dan triniaeth mewn ysbyty allanol imr meddwl. A felly oedd’n dieiswlu beth oedd gam (gan?) ddi hi (iddi’hi?) i ddweud.

Any ideas?

Might it have been ‘diystyried’ - to disregard?

@aran: It’s tough because the audio is no longer available but I’m fairly certain there was no “t” or “r” sound in the word.

The first part of the word was pronounced “dee AY” and the second part sounded like “sul ee” but it could have been “sudd ee” with a very swallowed “dd” sound.

Mmm… at a stretch, it might just have been 'oedd o’m ‘di sylwi beth…’ - beyond that, nothing else comes to mind - might be worth tweeting Caryl Parry to see if she remembers… :sunny:

1 Like

@cyd What about disgwyl (to expect)? If you follow the southern course, you may not have recognized it because of the pronunciation.

'di eu sylwi would be my bet.

1 Like

That may not be a bad idea…but I think you and @robbruce are on the right track. I’ll throw it in to the rest of what I’ve transcribed and see what Google Translate says.

1 Like

No luck. I’ve just tweeted Caryl Parry Jones and am now hoping she’ll reply.

In the meantime, I’ve run into another puzzling bit in the same episode. Here’s the phrase…with the questionable word bolded:

Fel arfer yn y bore oedd credu pennau (?) dwrw yn y carchar oedd pobol yn cael i gadael allan o celloedd i fynd i ty bach a rywbeth a felly a cu das lubercost

That bit in bold sounds like

ah kee dahs lee ber cawst

but I’ve been unable to figure out what is being said.

Again…apologies for not including a link to the sound but BBC has pulled the podcast episode. If it helps, I’ve discovered that in the bit I’m currently working on, a man named Emrys Roberts is speaking about what he remembers of being imprisoned with Mahmood Mattan on the day he was executed (grim, I know)

The beginning might be ‘ac i’ (and the bit before that is probably ‘a rhyw bethau felly’)… beyond that, sorry, no idea.

This is driving me crazy…so much so that I recorded the section of the podcast with the phrase I’m hearing and uploaded it to Google Drive.

The link to the audio is here; people should be able to click play and listen within the browser window that opens, but reply to this post if you cannot.

I started the recording a sentence before the phrase in question for context purposes. Since the speaker trails off a bit towards the end, I’ve upped the audio at that point so that the word(s) in question can be heard clearly.

EDIT: Fixed the link so that anyone who views the post should have access

I’m hearing something like:

“…fel arfer yn y bore … yn y carchar…bobol yn cal i gyda a chlan o’r cellloedd…
i fynd i’r tai bach… a’r rhywbeth felly a’r gi dallu brecwast”

I didn’t catch everything, and some of what I did catch doesn’t make sense, but maybe together we can piece it together… :slight_smile:

Interesting! I heard similar to what you heard, except I heard allan o’r celloedd instead of a chlan o’r celloedd. Also I was thinking dallu as well in that last bit, but a cu (ci?) instead of a’r gi and maybe byr gost or byr gosb instead of brecwast.

Unfortunately felly a ci dallu byr cost/gosb doesn’t make any sense…or Google Translate is off again.

1 Like

‘…fel arfer yn y bore oedd cryn dipyn o dwrw yn y carchar, oedd pobl yn cael eu gadael allan o’r celloedd i fynd i’r tai bach a rhyw bethau felly ac i gasglu brecwast…’

I’m not surprised you didn’t catch ‘cryn dipyn o dwrw’ - he barely says it, more like ‘cr…ipyn o dw’… I wasn’t entirely sure myself until Catrin confirmed it… :sunny:

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!!

Gyda llaw It’s not that I didn’t catch it…I heard something completely different than “cryn dipyn o dwrw yn y carchar” and “gasglu brecwast”. Seriously thinking I need to have my ears cleaned out…

1 Like

I think our brains do a lot of interpreting! OK, I’m old enough to be going deaf, but I don’t think it’s really that which causes me to watch so much with subtitles, even in English! I don’t recall now what Scottish expression my friend used recently, which I heard totally differently because what she said had no meaning to me and what I heard, while wrong, at least made sense!!

I have another ‘what am I hearing’ from the same podcast…unfortunately I don’t have a recording handy as I am mobile at the moment.

I can however, give the context. The word, or words, sound like:

rhw gos (rhoo gaws)

and the context is:

Blynyddoedd lawer wedyn oedd cyfaill i fi a rhw gos, ar ysgrifennu a BBC, fel mae’n digwydd…

Mmm… the ‘ar ysgrifennu a BBC’ isn’t quite right, and makes it tricky to guess at the ‘rhw gos’ - I’ve got a nasty feeling this one is going to need the sound file!

You were right about the ‘ar ysgrifennu a BBC’…and here’s the link to the sound file:

rhw gos

Clicking the link should open a window with a playback button. I upped the sound at the questionable part so that it is easier to hear.

Rhyw gwrs ar ysgrifennu?

1 Like

I’m hearing “…rhyw gwrs ar gyfer sgwennu …[something]… BBC fel mae’n digwydd”, but I’m not sure what is between “swgennu” and “BBC”.