What are you enjoying/learning on S4C Clic? [Non-Drama Non-Fiction]

I’ll have to wait for this one too. :roll_eyes:

The good side of seeing it so often is that now I’m able to understand what’s the matter. Until not so long ago this warning message looked just like a handful of random syllables thrown on the screen! :laughing:

1 Like

yes, sorry - there was just too much archive material and music for us to be able to afford licensing that one for worldwide :pensive:

1 Like

Having asked for our documentary, I now have an idea of the costs so I understand that it’s basically impossible to do something like that for a worldwide audience! :frowning_face:

1 Like

There’s a new series of Cynefin which just started this week. We also like 3Lle which is often available on the iPlayer.

2 Likes

There’s an interesting programme about Egyptology called Yr Aifft - several episodes still on Clic at the moment, some of which I think are also still on iPlayer. Old enough that unfortunately there are only English subtitles, but still good.

2 Likes

Great thanks Lorna and All. I’ve found that the big thing with different accents is to listen to them as much as possible, and then gently they start making sense. Having said that, I find exactly the same thing in English. :frowning: Anyway it was great to see the programme on SE Wales.

One branch of my wife’s family lived in Aberbargoed (near to where the programme started). All the generations above us were 1st language speakers.

2 Likes

With Welsh it seems to go very much like with English.
First, I understand almost nothing in any accent, and don’t notice much of a difference!
Then I develop a strong preference for one or two accents, which I accidentally heard more than the others and find everything else confusing.

At some point, I can expect to become more flexible and understand quite well a pretty wide selection of accents, and able to catch a bunch more right away (just like it happened with English).

But many will take more time…like I can’t understand some people from North Wales when they speak English either, or many from Manchester, Texas, Scotland or cockneys!

But there’s always a phase when I find it really much effective for my learning to stick mostly to fewer familiar accents /which is where I am now for Welsh!

2 Likes

That link for programs available outside the UK has been super useful for me, so many thanks.

2 Likes

Since this kind of documentaries will never reach the International audiences, I’ve worked a bit underground and managed to watch it anyway. :smirk: :shushing_face:

Very interesting for me, so many things I didn’t know!
And speaking of language, Meic Stevens accent sounds nice, and is one of the easiest ever for me. :slight_smile:

And I’ve also watched Rhannu. I could have easily answered the question that got one participant to lose the final round: the oldest record shop in the world, I know it, I know it! :wink:

I watch it without subtitles the first time, as usual so I didn’t understand everything. But is it correct that this series has now finished? Are the £10,000 final round coming next or there’s another series to go?
@siaronjames

1 Like

yes, there’s just the ‘final’ to go (where the prize is £10,000 instead of £2000), but unfortunately S4C are not commissioning another series after that. So do feel free to write in and demand one! :wink:

2 Likes

Rhannu final!
When I heard the topic 80s pop, I thought there had to be one about Datblygu :wink: (assuming they’d be good enough to reach it).

By the way, I thought I was also a pop expert, but turns out I just knew a couple more of those before! Anhrefn and FGTH :sweat_smile:

Still have to watch about half of it, though.

1 Like

Well, how could I write questions about 80s pop without at least mentioning Datblygu just in case you saw the show?! :wink::joy:

2 Likes

Anyone been watching Ysgol Maesincla? The part with Olly codeswitching between Welsh and English was very interesting and I understood a lot more than other programmes I have watched, possibly because a lot of the content was conversational rather than documentary reporting.

It has been on my to-do list, Ysgol M, and maybe now is the time…!

Mind you, Soap Special with @Marcuswhitfield and @nia.llywelyn is also coming up soon on WSP, and I have revision to do for that…

…and Craith Series 2, and Bang Series 2 I’m still stuck on the early episodes… Emotionally too taxing! (will Ysgol M be a tugger on the heart strings, @Wren? If so, back onto the long finger/back burner with it!)

…and I’ll need to give Gwers Mewn Cariad a second (silent) reading (to myself as I have no voice with which to read it to others right now!) @beca-brown @neil-pyper Siomedig dw i!

Lazy screen-gazing hours ahead of me, clearly…

Hmmm…I didn’t feel like it waa. They did do a few features on individual children that could be viewed as sad. But overall it was hopeful and positive and cutely-funny.

1 Like

I am watching old programmes where people wander round interesting towns and beauty spots, chatting to people, eating in restaurants etc. Ah, the good old days.
Sue

3 Likes

New ones I’m enjoying (among those available right now outside the UK, that I hadn’t seen before):
Iaith ar Daith
Cymry ar Gynfas
Wil ac Aeron: Taith yr Alban

and some “classics”:
Becws
Parti bwyd Beca
Bois y Pizza
Rhannu
Adre
Codi Pac
Cegin Bryn
Ar y Dibyn

Cog1nio
Deian a Loli
Sion y Chef

1 Like

… and Garddio a Mwy will be back on May 11th! :wink:

2 Likes

Wna i cadw fy llygad yn agor am hynny!

1 Like

We’ve been enjoying Adre and Codi Pac. More serious is Waliau, documentaries about walls around the world. Programmes so far: Mexican wall, Palestine, and North/South Korea. I struggle a bit when people are speaking a language other then English or Welsh and there are Welsh subtitles, but it may be available with English subtitles on S4C Clic.