What are your favourite words in Welsh?

I don’t have a favourite though it’s fun to say “hoffi coffi” and “gwych” brings back memories of writing lots of sgwrs in Welsh lessons at school at at one time my friend/cousin and I just kept writing “gwych” and it made us laugh. Kids right! :rofl: I don’t like the word “archfarchnad” It doesn’t sound right to say. Sorry to be negative. I also like saying “Dw I wedi anghofio”
I don’t have a favourite English word and I’m still learning cymraeg so that’s my excuse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One I just discovered: Clats, for claggy mud stuck to your boots. I cant believe you’ve borrowed that from Geordieland, reit? :grinning:

2 Likes

“hyfryd”

“cariad”

As always, I don’t really have favourites, but these are some words I like.

Pardon the vanity, but I quite like my own formal name in Welsh: Mihangel
And thanks to a kind Welsh friend, I recently learned:

haf bach (gŵyl) Mihangel : a period of summery weather usually occurring around Michaelmas, 29th September (lit. little summer of Michaelmas) .

(What we normally call in English an Indian Summer, which expression I gather comes from North America).

4 Likes

Just learned ych-a-fi from the show “Keeping Faith”. It’s my favorite today

1 Like

I’d subscribe to Say Something in Geordie lol.

I use ”ynys” for myself because of the movie “the secret of roan inish” :woman_shrugging:t2:Not a clue that will work for everyone I’m sure.

That’s something all Welsh people say even those who don’t speak Welsh.
I just learnt llond llaw go iawn and that’s my favourite phrase so far.

3 Likes

Without any fear of contradiction “sboncen” is the best word. It sounds very saucy for something so uncontroversial

4 Likes

I don’t want to use it. Was asking people on a Facebook group for an alternative :rofl:

1 Like

How about “anllythyrol”?

I listened to a podcast and that was the only word that was unsure of. I checked it out later and found that it meant uneducated or illiterate. I wish I hadn’t checked now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just found this chart of Welsh words for Halloween. I really love “bwci bo”! (bogeyman)! :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh, as it’s Halloween, I’ll go for “Ysbryd Glan”

Flipping through grammar for something else & found a section that said “chdi” was a common form of ti in the North. It’s fun to say.

2 Likes

From early on in SSIW I started developing favourite Welsh words. Diddorol was probably the first one. Now I’ve added neithiwr, cyfarfod, edrych. My overall favourite is probably rhywbeth.

Conversely there are some I don’t like, just because my English ears think they sound jarring or off-kilter in some way. Cyfle, cyflawni, fodlon. Bleh! :joy:

1 Like

Sylweddoli, this is the word I like. :blush:

1 Like

Now I fancy an ice cream :slight_smile:

Has to be the onomatopoeic popty ping (microwave). So much nicer than the more staid meicrodon :rofl:

annibyniaeth is mine. :wales:

Yr Draig Goch - The Red Dragon (the most powerful expression in Welsh!)

Or Baner Cymru - the Flag of Wales.

These are the two most important (my favourite sentences) in Welsh.

I think “Hiraeth” would meet either of those in the semi final. Didn’t translate easily into Saesneg but it’s a lovely word

1 Like