What I'm loving most about the Speaking Practice section so far

I’m starting to think that with all the speaking & recording practice this is giving everyone, entries for the next SSiW Eisteddfod should soar!

5 Likes

I just want to say that I think this whole thing is brilliant. I’m gaining a lot of confidence from listening to the entries and from recording my own. The more I record, the more I am able to let go of wanting things to be perfect and worrying about how I sound. I’m more able to just let them go out into the world and not be quite so freaked out. Not to say that it’s easy now, but it’s certainly getting better!

7 Likes

REALLY delighted to hear this - and well DONE you for throwing yourself into it!

3 Likes

PS: I’m loving these metallic colours :smiley:

2 Likes

They are quite exposing, if thats the right word. You really do notice your mistakes when you hear them back. I’ve learnt a lot from that which is great but it’s taken some talking to myself to stop myself being top harsh a personal critic. However, I’d strongly recommend people do this as off the cuff as possible. It’s pushed my comfort zone which is really enjoyable, if slightly uncomfortable.

5 Likes

There’s two things I’m loving about the speaking practice section:

1. The confidence that comes from saying something in Welsh and having other people understand it.
  2. The chance to practice listening and, more importantly understanding other people speaking. It’s by far my weakest area and I struggle massively understanding other sources such as Radio Cymru (though I was proud to follow a whole episode of Stori Tic Toc!). It’s far more achievable to follow the answers people record as I know they’re in the context of the question.

How about compiling them into some downloadable community listening practices? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, to everything!! I’ve learnt loads from listening to myself and noticing the things I tend to say, and how it comes across. (Ouch!) This is way, way out of my comfort zone! (Even though I’m fairly happy talking to people in person these days - you don’t have to critique yourself so obviously!)

It’s hard not be hard on yourself - but I think the gains are huge, whatever your current level. You just have to remember that nobody really likes hearing their own voice back at them, and not take it all too seriously. Talking to a cold mic by yourself is never easy!

But it has certainly made me talk and think in Welsh more this week, and brought it closer to the surface to use in other situations that crop up, which is brilliant. I haven’t decided how long I’m likely to keep it up though - maybe a break and a bit of other practice and then come back and see if it’s easier…

6 Likes

Interesting/creative thought - at the moment, I’m thinking that the bitesize feel plus the ‘these are real people you can see interacting in the thread’ is key, and that the full listening exercises are the most important starting point (out of interest, do you listen to those regularly?) - but we might well come back to this idea at a later stage… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve gone through phases of trying to listen to them, but find I’m identifying words and not taking in what’s actually being said, whereas with the speaking I’m more able to follow given the context of a question and the levels of welsh being used by fellow learners.

Definitely agree that the community interaction is the key though! And maybe being able to hear questions and answers back to back at the click of a button might take away the encouragement to get involved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes - it’s that ‘harder than real conversation’ which gives them so much of their value. I simply cannot recommend them too strongly as a 5 minute daily exercise… :slight_smile:

Fantastic response @AnnaC which echoes my thoughts and feelings precisely. And whoever else it was who said in this thread about instructions - YES PLEASE!!! Where are they? How do I get on and do it?

1 Like

@carolineparkinson see my reply to your post on this thread (which I posted before seeing your post here!) VERY SIMPLE - Question from Jane [next weekend] (about to start Level 3)

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn @siaronjames - when I get pum munud, gwna i

1 Like

How to post in ‘Speaking Practice’:

How to post in 'Speaking Practice'

Pink, red, etc… what do they mean?

Pink, red, green, blue and beyond... what do they mean?

:slight_smile:

Absolutely ‘blown away’ and into the bubbles right now…

Oops, looks like my earlier post really belonged in this thread, but if you are not yet convinced to ‘give it a go’ please look at what I wrote in ‘going from green to blue’ earlier today. This week has been amazing—a brilliant, game-changing experience in trying to SSiW, thanks to the help and response of others on this Forum.

Back to the bubbles for me, because getting to blue was not just a huge milestone, it threw open the door on actually speaking and listening to the language, and discovering I can SSiW.

So put that bottle of champers (or stash of special tea/coffee) in the fridge, ready for your own celebration and give it a go!!!

Cheers,
Marilyn :clinking_glasses:

12 Likes

Swiss Toni…are you really miss? If so where are you in Swisstir?.
I live in Luzern and have Welsh ancestors

Sori Margaret, dw i ddim yn dod o Swistir. I took my username from a nineties British TV character and, in hindsight, should have just used my name! (doesn’t seem to be a way to change it though)

Luzern looks incredible though, I wish I was there instead :smile: Do you know what it was that brought your Welsh ancestors to Switzerland?

If you do want to change your username, maybe it can probably be done at an admin level - tag or message Aran, he’ll know.

1 Like

I noticed yesterday on wicipedia that the last word in the Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru is Zwinglïaidd, named after Ulrich Zwingli from Switzerland and the only word in Welsh sarting with a “Z”. It’s been removed from the English wikipedia entry and the GPC is website has been down for a few days, so haven’t been able to check to see it is actually there or not - it’s possible some troll has edited the entry on the Welsh wicipedia, but I would like it to be true.

Thank you, Toni.

My grandfather was Welsh …His name was Gwyllt but the English changed it to Gwilt… His family moved to London …he remained very Welsh in his way of living.
I am in Switzerland because I married a Swiss.!
I am always looking for anyone who lives here to meet and speak Welsh together.
It’s true that Luzern is a really lovely town.