What ONE thing would you like my help with for you to become a better Welsh speaker?

Everything, I got you into everything. :wink:

2 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

Iā€™d be keen to help :slight_smile: Iā€™m also a bit of a follower rather than leader when it comes to technology, but would love to be part of it if I can.

2 Likes

We need to finish the current set of fixes that Ifan is working on - but at that point, it shouldnā€™t be dangerously complicated to give this a test - and then if it works, weā€™d be able to offer anyone who wanted to build their own vocab stuff the ability to do so inside SSiā€¦ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have done Courses 1 and 2 and am in the Vocab Units at the end of Course 2. I have taken time off from them for a weekā€™s residential course in the Summer and subsequently to read Welsh books and to listen to Welsh but I will be returning to them before long.

I started on Matilda and found it understandable. I will go back to it soon because I enjoyed it. The reason I stopped was just that I was lent a number of Welsh books by a first-language Welsh speaker and they took up my time.

Raymond

1 Like

I would definitely be interested. Iā€™m trying to ā€œcross the bridgeā€ from fluent learner to fully confident second language speaker and lack of vocabulary is a problem for me too. Re my tech credentials, Iā€™ve used computer since the 1980s and used to teach IT until I retired last year. I havenā€™t done much with sound recording though, only for personal use when learning my part for the dramas we did on a previous experimental course I took some years ago.

2 Likes

Thank you for this ā€“ it arrived today. Iā€™ve only had the chance to glance at it so far, but I just picked it up and read the first page. There was only one word I flat out didnā€™t know, even from context, and fortunately she used it again further down the page and I was able to get it from context that time, so it looks like I should be able to get on reasonably well with it without having to emerge too much into the world of English and dictionaries :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve finally figured it out!

Prepositions! (Sorry, Iā€™m going to be a bit more Facebook-y) Any tips of how to work out/spot patterns for Prepositions (I think thatā€™s what theyā€™re called) - when is it wrth vs i, Are there patterns of verbs etc?

Ah.

I recommend what I did.

Forget about them, until youā€™ve forgotten that there was anything you were trying to remember.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha!! Love it!! I think being reminded that itā€™s OK to go with the flow is all thatā€™s needed sometimes :grinning:

2 Likes

Could we also do this for other languages? Like a sort of personal until-the-real-thing-comes-out SSi course? But yeah, I would be interested in that either way :smile:

1 Like

I have been meaning/wanting/trying to do more or less this for a couple of languages where I can, so to speak, only ā€˜speakā€™ them on paper ā€“ a DIY-SSi to force myself to start thinking in the target ā€“ but itā€™s fairly heavy going (more respect to @aran @CatrinLliarJones @Iestyn et al.). Having more of a structure would certainly helpā€¦

2 Likes

I once got this out of the library. http://www.gomer.co.uk/index.php/pa-arddodiad-a-checklist-of-verbal-prepositions.html

It is basically a great long list of all the verbs they could think of and the different prepositions you can use with them for slightly different meanings. I looked though with enthusiasm for a good few minutes, then it sat around for a while until I brought it backā€¦

3 Likes

I think it would only really work for something you already spoke pretty well - so for someone like Jen, who has excellent Welsh, to add some Welsh words - yup, thatā€™ll work - but for me trying to play with something new like (say) Maoriā€¦ nope, itā€™s all going to end in tears.

But as long as we can find native/native-like speakers for any new languages that people on here would like, we should next year be in a position to start doing requestsā€¦ :slight_smile:

[Although weā€™ll be trying to roll out 6 or 7 new ones first, to see what stuff breaksā€¦;-)]

3 Likes

I know a lot of native speakers I could bribe :wink:

Probably wouldnā€™t be able to get very far with that though, as I imagine it takes a lot of timeā€¦

Ooh, 6 or 7 now! Last time it was 5 :smile:

1 Like

I like the Helpwch eich plentyn/Help your child series produced by Gomer. The one on prepositions (arddodiaid) is for age 10+ and suits me. Itā€™s very clear and shows which words go with which preposition, with example sentences where you fill the gaps and a handy section on idioms and simple phrases that use prepositions.

But in the end itā€™s still best to pick it up as you go along.

4 Likes

I feel my biggest challenge is frequent listening input from a variety of speakers in situations I would typically find myself inā€¦ which probably isnā€™t anything anyone can help me with unless I move to an area where Welsh is spoken!

Though Radio Cymru and S4C can go a little bit towards this.

One thing I wish I could do is build up a relatively consistent accent; thatā€™s obviously something thatā€™s more difficult to do if you listen to speakers from all over the place rather than picking up the local accent by hearing it around you every day.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Some Manon Steffan Ros book recommendations

Itā€™s particularly interesting to hear from pretty advanced learners - as you say, none of those are easy fixes, and once youā€™re past our listening exercises, it really is pretty much Radio Cymru full speed ahead - we will be looking to strengthen our range of listening work in the next few months, but it still ends up with radio/TVā€¦

Interesting about the accent - I think youā€™re right that the only current solution is living in a Welsh speaking community - but Iā€™m hoping that weā€™ll be able to build our monthly stuff into a wide-ranging enough collection to enable people to choose more specific areas and concentrate on themā€¦

1 Like

Just a little note about listening to the radio that not everyone will know ā€¦ instead of listening to the radio whenever you get chance try downloading podcasts of more useful stuff to listen to in order to make better use of the time available.

3 Likes