What ONE thing would you like my help with for you to become a better Welsh speaker?

Hahaha!! Love it!! I think being reminded that it’s OK to go with the flow is all that’s needed sometimes :grinning:

2 Likes

Could we also do this for other languages? Like a sort of personal until-the-real-thing-comes-out SSi course? But yeah, I would be interested in that either way :smile:

1 Like

I have been meaning/wanting/trying to do more or less this for a couple of languages where I can, so to speak, only ‘speak’ them on paper – a DIY-SSi to force myself to start thinking in the target – but it’s fairly heavy going (more respect to @aran @CatrinLliarJones @Iestyn et al.). Having more of a structure would certainly help…

2 Likes

I once got this out of the library. http://www.gomer.co.uk/index.php/pa-arddodiad-a-checklist-of-verbal-prepositions.html

It is basically a great long list of all the verbs they could think of and the different prepositions you can use with them for slightly different meanings. I looked though with enthusiasm for a good few minutes, then it sat around for a while until I brought it back…

3 Likes

I think it would only really work for something you already spoke pretty well - so for someone like Jen, who has excellent Welsh, to add some Welsh words - yup, that’ll work - but for me trying to play with something new like (say) Maori… nope, it’s all going to end in tears.

But as long as we can find native/native-like speakers for any new languages that people on here would like, we should next year be in a position to start doing requests… :slight_smile:

[Although we’ll be trying to roll out 6 or 7 new ones first, to see what stuff breaks…;-)]

3 Likes

I know a lot of native speakers I could bribe :wink:

Probably wouldn’t be able to get very far with that though, as I imagine it takes a lot of time…

Ooh, 6 or 7 now! Last time it was 5 :smile:

1 Like

I like the Helpwch eich plentyn/Help your child series produced by Gomer. The one on prepositions (arddodiaid) is for age 10+ and suits me. It’s very clear and shows which words go with which preposition, with example sentences where you fill the gaps and a handy section on idioms and simple phrases that use prepositions.

But in the end it’s still best to pick it up as you go along.

4 Likes

I feel my biggest challenge is frequent listening input from a variety of speakers in situations I would typically find myself in… which probably isn’t anything anyone can help me with unless I move to an area where Welsh is spoken!

Though Radio Cymru and S4C can go a little bit towards this.

One thing I wish I could do is build up a relatively consistent accent; that’s obviously something that’s more difficult to do if you listen to speakers from all over the place rather than picking up the local accent by hearing it around you every day.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Some Manon Steffan Ros book recommendations

It’s particularly interesting to hear from pretty advanced learners - as you say, none of those are easy fixes, and once you’re past our listening exercises, it really is pretty much Radio Cymru full speed ahead - we will be looking to strengthen our range of listening work in the next few months, but it still ends up with radio/TV…

Interesting about the accent - I think you’re right that the only current solution is living in a Welsh speaking community - but I’m hoping that we’ll be able to build our monthly stuff into a wide-ranging enough collection to enable people to choose more specific areas and concentrate on them…

1 Like

Just a little note about listening to the radio that not everyone will know … instead of listening to the radio whenever you get chance try downloading podcasts of more useful stuff to listen to in order to make better use of the time available.

3 Likes