What's outside

ti’n croeso iawn.

Ysgwydd amryliw - many zoned polypore.

Panellus stipticus.

Cap porslen - porcelain fungus and yes they are slimy/shiny heb bod yn gwlebe - without being wet.

Lycoperdon echinatum (i’m assured lycoperdon means wolf’s fart, i assume when because if you squeeze the ripe fungus a puff cloud of spores is emitted, admittedly i have not checked this with a Wolf).

Geoglossum S.P. (two species which need a microscope to distinguish ).

Alder bracket on Gwernen - Alder ( Pippa, i did not get an image of P. pomaceus on trees in town as the trees have been removed :disappointed:

Mae’r lleuad mawr’n dod - the big moon is coming.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

@ramblingjohn
“Admittedly I have not checked this with a Wolf”
John, I have to say I’m disappointed with you. How can you be a proper naturalist without checking your facts?

:wink::wink:

4 Likes

The final ffwng photos from my recent trip to Cymru - these from the hills o’r(?)/a’r(?) gogledd Glyndyfrdwy

Apologies for the out of focus lower photo, but it does show the blue and yellow shades which don’t show up clearly in the upper photo

… and this I’m assuming is the common or garden field - mushroom. At least this one’s in focus!
PS Till now I’ve always assumed the ‘common’ in ‘common or garden’ implies ‘frequently occurring’, but writing the above has made me wonder if it could it perhaps mean ‘common land’?

3 Likes

Regarding piebald skewbald-

I have found that “magpie” is the origin of all “pie-/pied” words. A new one on me; I previously thought it was the other way around.

The skew part of skewbald, may or may not be related to our word skew. Alternatively it may be related to the Old English scued, possibly of Scandinavian origin meaning sky/cloud shaped.

2 Likes

Oh no! I feel your pain.
Really enjoying the series of ffyngau Cymraeg photos & identification from @johnwilliams_6 & @ramblingjohn. Dr John, if you’ve run out of pictures it’s surely time for another trip!

1 Like

My first post on this thread. I hope its ok (non-fungus) :slight_smile:
New and old Ceredigion(?) Hedges. Similar to Pembrokeshire hedge, but without the stones. Also similar to the Suffolk Hedge.
Newydd ac hen Gwyrch/gwrychoedd(?)

3 Likes

Yndy, Pippa! Dw i’n cytuno’n llwyr!

2 Likes

Absolutely welcome to put photo’s of your area and what you see, diolch iawn.

Have to admit it is part of the huge list of things not done (maybe our Scots -yr Alban correspondent is near wolves !

sure looks like i missed two good courses which pippa and J.W. went on,
another trip, well at the moment i’m hoping to go on the bird course in February (any excuse to mynd yr gogledd cymru - go to north wales).

With that pattern on the cap and umbo in the middle i would guess one of the three ffwng Ambarelo - parasol fungus.

I’m not jealous honest, despite not getting a photo of this in the last two years.
Stropharia aeruginosa - the verdgris agaric.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes
  1. Too aged and infirm to travel.
  2. When I did get near to the wolves (Highland Wildlife Park) - during Foot and Mouth, so 2001/2?? Anyway, they are very fenced in, so smelling their farts wasn’t possible! Now, I believe there are some more on an estate whose owner wants to ‘re-wild’ but I think it is still made as impossible as possible to get close!!!
2 Likes

cnocell y coed = woodpecker
Bedwen = birch

Mae aderyn bach yma yn amlwg preswylydd rheolaidd yn ein ardd nawr. (This little bird is obviously a regular resident of our garden now.) He obviously found something and would like to retreave it … Yah, it’s obvious the hazelnuts are no more for him to “steal”. Yup, he could fill his storage with plenty of them if he wanted. There was plenty as you’ve seen before. :slight_smile: But our two birch trees are obviously highly interesting for him too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, and with the special thought of @henddraig … this was yesterday evening …

The composition is not put together too accurately though but you’ll all get the impression I believe.

5 Likes

Prydferth iawn!

2 Likes

Oedd yr diwrnod iawn. The day was very good.

Colomen y graig - Rock dove/ feral pigeon. (click on images to enlarge).

Cyrn gwyn - candle snuff fungus.

I was lucky with the big moon, just as it appeared the sky was clear.

ten minutes later the moon was going behind clouds.

Two hours later it was high in a clear sky.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

I got sent this snap today, with the message that “it was attached to a tree. It didn’t have a stalk or stem it was just stuck to the bark. I just split it in half to see what it was like inside”. I’m stumped.

2 Likes

I went yn ôl heddiw, but apart from getting more pictures I couldn’t identify the coeden with any degree of certainty. The only thing of note was that all the trees this is on are either dead or dying.

On the upside, somebody is calling it ‘home’. Cartref i rywun.

2 Likes

xylaria polymorpha is an option.

I’m thinking your first assessment was correct and this is the alder bracket.
As someone is making it home, maybe one to watch in the spring.

Cheers J.P.

I’ll take it. Diolch yn fawr.[quote=“ramblingjohn, post:2041, topic:971”]
maybe one to watch in the spring.
[/quote]

For still there are so many things
That I have never seen
In every wood in every spring
There is a different green
Tolkien

4 Likes

No hope here, y lleuad invisible through rain (glaw)!
Now, a question @ramblingjohn
Can you explain why more and more mallards(hwyaid gwyllt) are gathering in the same smallish stretch of water in the early morning, or possibly for the night? No picture - too dark! (And I’m not there, Janet walks the dogs!) She hasn’t really noticed this phenomenon in previous years. This morning, apparently, they were even spreading over the adjoining road! It is fortunate that none of our current dogs are into bird chasing! I wondered if there was a special source of food, but we are not experts on ducky diets!

roedd cwmwl ar draws yr holl awyr yma. there was cloud across the complete sky here.

As for ducks, here they migrate towards food sources for the winter (there may be another reason).

Birch mazegill - dim enw cymraeg ar hyn o bryd - not welsh name at the moment.

Coes wydn seimlyd - butter cap.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Lime Kiln near Bristol: Odyn galch (?) ger Briste

2 Likes