What's outside

Our garden and surrounding common land is busy with fungi of all sorts at the moment - I’ll try and upload some photos. I have very little knowledge of fungi, I don’t even enjoy eating them, but I do find them particularly beautiful.

1 Like

It’s true, to my lasting horror.

1 Like

Dw i’n meddwl yr enw mwyalchen yn cwir - i think the name mwyalchen is right as it indicates the birds relationship to the mwyalchen y mynydd - ring ouzel.
The Latin names equally point to the relationship whereas the English does not.
mae’r unwaith eto - once again Welsh makes sense.

The mwyalchen in the photo caught my attention as, though he was happy scratching about in the leaves looking for a snack, he did not fly when i approached but just kept still (hence the rather close photo). i wondered if he was ill, so then went to pick him up, it was then he moved and turned so could then see he had only one eye.
I took more photo’s as i was concerned this may be a sign of the disease that has been afflicting Ji- binc - chaffinch. When i got home and zoomed in on the photo’s i could see clearly this was not disease but the result of impact (flying into something) and felt though perhaps interesting it was a little to distressful to post on the forum.

As for eating fungi, you could put your share on Aran’s plate and enjoy his glass of wine while he enjoys your fungi. (just an idea).

Hwyaden bengoch - Pochard.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Oh wow! Watched. so, to @ramblingjohn
I guessed about small flowers, but not that small!! Looks like we may need a magnifying glass in late spring! One thing I noticed - the 15 year old tree, well our derwen baban bach, Janet planted it in 2003 or 4 and it was very small at the time, so I’d guess it’s about the same age, but, presumably because of different location, lots of water in ground, it is a totally different shape, lots of branches and not as tall. It does mean we can see its canopy at eye level, but I’m not sure I can get there to look, difficult terrain for the frail and old!! I will try to see if one of us can get some close-ups in the spring!

2 Likes

a fi hefyd - and so shall i. (meanwhile i had a look today).
Rwan, mae’n bosib i gweld blagur derwen barod datblygu yn yr gwanwyn- now it’s possible to see Oak buds ready to develope in the spring.

Blagur derwen - oak buds.

And lucky me, on the same tree.

Mycena pseudocorticola. (un ffwng sydd ymddangos ar risgl coeden weithiau - one fungus that appears on tree bark sometimes).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I loved your photo of the aderyn du (I am sorry to hear he only had one eye, poor thing). The Mycena pseudocorticola are so pretty - I like the color and the way they look so tiny and delicate in the moss.

1 Like

This crowded group of mushrooms were growing on an old bale of hay at the boundary between a woodland & a field. Maybe common or tawny funnels?

1 Like

It’s wax cap week apparently. Wythnos capiau cwyr.
Heddiw, I spotted scarlet waxcaps

& maybe a golden waxcap?

& another one!

4 Likes

Dwi’'n meddwl bod fi dod o hyd ffyngau diddorol iawn heddiw. - i’m thinking i found very interesting fungi today.
Rhywbeth dipyn anaferol - something a little unusual.

enghraifft iawn o Ymenyn yr eithin - nice example of brain fungus.

Ascocoryne s.p.

ac yn rhywbeth braidd yn arbennig - and something quite special.

Pastwn lindys - caterpillar club (Cordyceps militaris).
Unfortunately i did not find a nice example below it of what it had emerged from (that had disintegrated),
For this species of fungus grows on the pupae of moths/butterflies that bury themselves underground for the winter.
There are only three species of cordyceps that i have seen in this country.
search cordyceps on the internet if you wish to see images from tropical regions which have species that emerge from a large selection of insects.

Oh, and i am looking for other subjects to put here, it just seems to be the fungi season.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

I am enjoying the many and varied mushroom/fungus photos - some beautiful things. I was telling my husband about them this morning and he directed me to a photoblog website by Steve Axford, a retired computer design guy in NSW (Australia). He has a lot of amazing photos of amazing fungi from around the world. There are also several links to other sites of photos of fungi around the world, here. Enjoy!

2 Likes

@ramblingjohn. I heard an owl vey loudly when I let Toffi out tonight. Single highish note then later on, another. I think just one bird calling twice. Toffi had to be told not to bark as she galloped eagerly in the direction of the call!, (The owl would have won!) Would that have been a tawny. Only variety mentioned round here,

1 Like

The most likely, i keep hoping to get a photo of any owl, but not yet.
there is always tomorrow, can’t have everything at once.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Waw! Gwych dros ben. Dwi’n curo dwylo.

1 Like

Np chance from here! I haven’t a clue what camera can do it but not ours!! Now, hopefully…

Oh gosh, it worked, I wasn’t sure it wouldn’t be too big!
View this morning along ‘our’ canal (Crinan) looking back towards the start at Ardrishaig as dawn breaks. and…

oh good! and looking the other way towards Crinan and the Isles.
Both taken by Janet this morning while walking dogs, including my Toffi, so she was there, even if I was cwtched up warm indoors!!
Oh, I don’t think we’ve exceeded minus 3C for days now. Promised a balmy +6 in a day or so!!

9 Likes

It’s not a picture of a fungus!

At least I don’t think it is. With Googles help, I think this is white coral slime mould. It looked like frost.

4 Likes

These are fungi…

I think this may be leafy brain fungus. Much thinner than ffwng clust.

I’ve no idea about about this one, but those gills :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Beautiful photos, almost black and white. Nearest we’ve been is Lochgilphead, on our way to the Kennacraig ferry to Islay.

1 Like

Rhaid i mi dweud Bendigedig - i must say wonderful. Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa (i think).

Tremella foliacea, da iawn .

I suspect one of the mycena family that has suffered frost/ shrinkage around the edges, the same reason your tremella is looking a bit black and soggy round the edges, many fungus don’t like frost but of course evolution has seen to it that some apparently don’t feel the cold.

Excellent photo’s and subjects. you are becoming a gem at this.
I notice hendraigs photo is getting (rightly) plenty of likes.
Cheers J.P.

1 Like

And i
Grovel!
Edit! Edit! Edit!
I am about to edit my last posting, the picture, which 7 of you kindly :heart:
Last night, it suddenly hit me that, when I was up to walking my dogs, I never took them that way in the early morning. In fact I didn’t take them out early at all! I am used to those views in the afternoon, sometimes nearer to dusk than dawn! I hurriedly checked with Janet and, yes, I had captioned them backwards. I was thinking of a different cottage, very like in look, on the other side of the canal! But at daybreak, when the sun is in the east, you do not get frost lit up in the foreground of your picture when facing Crinan!
To @margaretnock We are technically in Lochgilphead, actually Cairnbaan. I’ve been to Islay, back when I used to come and stay with Janet as a tourist! I thought we went from Oban, but I’ll check with her!l
Checked - sorry you were right! It is a long time since we went! About 20 years!

1 Like

Heddiw, oedd 'na carw bach yn yr isdyfiant a oedd yn credu na allai i ei weld o - today, there was a small deer in the undergrowth who thought i could not see him (i have a feeling that ‘i ei’ should be ‘iw’, the struggle continues) :pensive:

Carw mwntjac - muntjac deer.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes