What's outside

Any chance that could be All saints, Icklingham?

One of my favourite birds. In the 15 years I spent watching & trying to attract birds to the garden in Oxfordshire, the delor y cnau only made a handful of appearances. Haven’t seen one yng Nghymru yet. Thank you for the pictures @ramblingjohn; they’ve cheered me up.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nuthatch. Saw robin coch ddoe! I am hoping he’ll stay, as we were robin-less last winter!

1 Like

A small village called ‘Kintbury’ (no doubt there are many other fine churches to photograph).

Titw penddu - Coal tit.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Prydferth! We had about six on our feeders yestaerday am, but they were eclipsed by the return,of Wiwer! He was totally invisible apart from his tacky tail, as he sat, back firmly turned, eating seeds. Janet thought he’d like some easy-to-get peanuts and tried to go out quietly. He shot off up the back. Janet kept seeing no more nuts, thought,it was Wiwer eating them and put,out more. Finally decided it was chaffinches! Would eating whole peanuts hurt them?

1 Like

[quote=“henddraig, post:2110, topic:971”]
Would eating whole peanuts hurt them?[/quote]
I’ve watched some of the birds here break large seeds and such into smaller pieces to eat. I imagine they would be able to do that. (Just a guess, though.)

2 Likes

I hope so. We have bird flu on the way, so they need all the help they can get. Meanwhile, Wiwer is getting no more whole peanuts put out for him!

Don’t worry, i see little birds fly off with peanuts often to a branch away from the feeder (other birds) and then pick the peanut to pieces, much as you would work your way through a doughnut rather than choke on it :wink:

Dim llawer o peth newydd heddiw - not lots of things new today.

Alarch ddof - mute swan.
i fod yn onest - to be honest (all other photo’s were bin material).

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

chwilen diddorol

2 Likes

possum yn y clawdd
This little guy was in our hedge the other day, sorry about the quality of the image, sun was in the wrong spot.

4 Likes

dw i’n hoffi yr eglwys!!! The ceiling is amazing, sorry I didn’t catch where it is.

ein moyn, Sand Goanna. This individual was sitting quite happily watching us work the other day. We could go right up to it and itt really wasn’t perturbed by us at all.

3 Likes

Hi @Leighton. as it happens, it wasn’t my picture, it was the other John: @ramblingjohn . I don’t want to steal his thunder, but he mentioned that it was in Kentbury. I just thought that it might have been the similar looking church in the village of Icklingham, Suffolk. Interestingly this village celebrates its Iceni and Anglo Saxon roots.

2 Likes

Iceni
Cheers, John.
I just read about the Iceni pretty interesting stuff.

1 Like

Coch y berllan yn’r pellter - Bullfinch in the distance.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Today i went to Rydychen - Oxford to meet with @johnwilliams_6

The fun started opposite the station when i spotted this unusual coffee machine.

Taro - bull.

John W, soon appeared and the gentle rain did not stop us enjoying bacon and egg buns, With waterproof coat on we set off for the Thames and happened upon a diversion which was fairly well sigh posted so alongside the river we went (it’s really quiet on a wet day).

Not to much wildlife was within easy view, these geese being an exception.

Gwydd wyllt - greylag geese.

And a tree covered in Ivy was a good spot by John W.

Eiddew neu Iorwg ar hen coed - Ivy on old tree.

A Glas y dorlan - Kingfisher was seen several times but was not going to pose for a photo.
Around half distance we found a pub for hot drinks ac oedd sion corn yno - and Santa was there.

We carried on our way across open fields parkland while the damp feeling increased (i really should have taken waterproof trousers as well), i took one more photo.

Uchelwydd - mistletoe.
and noticed my lens had gone misty and the camera was wet (o dear, last photo and croesi bysedd bydd yr camera yn cael sych dda - fingers crossed the camera will dry well).

On we went discussing as many subjects as we could think of yn yr cymraeg, Thanks J.W. i need lots of practice and it was fun, i had heard at the station that a dwrci - otter has been seen on the canal but we didn’t see one though that is a very good reason to return (as if i needed one).

Note : some hours later and the camera uploaded today’s images OK, one indicator light seems to have failed but i can live without that, will know better tomorrow after longer drying time.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

A diolch i ti J.P. hefyd - llawer o hwyil yn wir!

2 Likes

Poor bechyn! I once had to distribute leaflets all round Penlan. It rained and rained and… my waterproof jacket dripped. My legs got wetter and wetter…but the worst part was driving home. By then my legs were sopping and i slithered wetly on the seat, never again did I go anywhere to spend an entire afternoon outside without having waterproof trousers with me, well, not unless it was full summer, in a heat wave and set fair!!!
Mind, as a kid, I went on a Pony Club ralley when it poured and I had to ride all the way back on a sopping wet saddle. My jodhpurs shrunk after that!

2 Likes

I occasionally get them on Sunflower bird feeder in north east wales. I use the seed without husks as no mess

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Dryw eurben - Goldcrest (one day i’m going to be lucky and get a good photo of one).

Titw tomos las - Blue tit (they are getting closer and i notice this one has a ring on it’s leg).

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes