What's outside

Mae alarch du.
Black swan

4 Likes

Y carnol inman
The middle of nowhere

3 Likes

How wonderful to see black swans in their native country!

1 Like

Cheers, yeah they are pretty cool but can get a bit nasty at times. We very rarely see white swans here only in zoos.

Exact reverse here, blacks only in captivity!! But I assure you that swans can get pretty nasty whatever their colour!! When I had a diminutive Cavalier called Tish who stalked and chased all feathered creatures as prey, I had terrible trouble clinging on to her lead and dragging her away from ganders and swans, either of whom could have killed her with one peck! (She was not noted for brain power, but a brilliant little hunter. My theory was that she learned as a pup watching a cat!)

1 Like

Snake Alert!

What’s outside in West Africa is inside in West Wales.

Royal Python.

4 Likes

Oh Wow!! Envy!!!

Heddiw oedd y tywydd yn oer bach. - today the weather was a little cold.

Cennau - Lichen (which had fallen from a tree).

Hen blanhigion, gyda rhew arno. - Old plant with frost on it.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

pet kangaroo outside the pub. I would love to say that this is normal in Australia and we all have one but it isn’t really.

5 Likes

Well, I couldn’t resist sending the following picture - the fierce tracker and killer of birds, who never saw a swan or goose as out-of-her-league, not quite asleep on a friend’s chair in 1999:
Tish:

Sorry @ramblingjohn , I don’t have a suitable outdoor shot on my laptop!

5 Likes

Just to say I love this thread.

4 Likes

Heddiw, dw i wedi drio cael lun well o dryw eurben (a methu) today, i have tried to get a better photo of the goldcrest (and failed).

Dryw eurben - Goldcrest .

Oedd rhy peth yn dda - some things were good.

Siglen fraith - Pied wagtail.

Hwyaden bengoch benywaidd - female Pochard.

Hwyaden bengoch gwrywaidd - Male Pochard.

Hwyaden lwyd - Gadwall.

So it’s a big thanks to those who contributed and /or commented, which made the year a little more colourful and interesting.
Next year remains a mystery as to what surprises may step before the lens, keep those cameras ready.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Heddiw, dechreuodd y flwyddyn newydd - Today the new year started.

Coed derwen heb dail - Oak tree without leaves.

Mae’r blagur’n barod i ymddangos pan gwanwyn yn dechrau - the buds are ready to appear when spring starts.

Hen mablen coed - old marble gall.

Mwsogl a’r coed. - Moss on the tree.

Chwydden geirios ar hen dail - Cherry galls on old leaf.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Our baban detwen fach (baby oak) still has all its leaves -brown, but there!

2 Likes

Warning - spider photo below!

This prif copyn is a case of ‘What’s inside’ rather than ‘What’s outside’ - with its shiny appearance, it does look rather sinister but I’m sure it’s harmless (well, I hope it is!)

3 Likes

Cap cwyr ddoe - wax cap yesterday.

I have been looking under holly trees for this little fungus. It is very little indeed and I struggled to get a snap but you can just see if you zoom in that it has hair! Mae gwallt gyda fo.
Holly parachute mushroom. Oes na enw Cymraeg am y ffwng 'ma tybed?

3 Likes

Unusual sheep hereabouts. Defaid anghyffredin yn y fan hyn.
Does anybody know what the breed is??

3 Likes

Try Jacob sheep @pippapritchard, it looks like they have four horns - mae gynnon nhw bedwar cyrn.

You are finding more than me diolch.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

The age of the sheep and the angle of the picture makes a huge difference to the ‘look’ of Jacobs! When I first saw @pippapritchard’s pic, I thought, “They look a bit like Jacob sheep, but the horns are different.” Now I realise that looked at head-on, youngish ones always seem to have straight vertical horns! Also, round here, they seem to have more black - bigger black patches!
NB @ramblingjohn Could feeding birds be bad if it encourages the young to stay and end up frozen? We, so far, have only had about 2 frosts and no lower than about -3, but I saw a startling this morning and I know the two youngest missed the flight south and suspect it was because, a)mild weather and b)feeders and fat candles! We used not to have starlings at all. I’d hate to find we’d caused them to freeze in their roost!

2 Likes

Thanks for trying, but next time could you leave a bigger gap! OK, I did see it first on my ipad where pics pop up and spoilers rarely work, but even on my laptop, there wasn’t all that much warning! I can look at copyn if warned, but would not choose to have one pop out of the screen with only a split second warning!