What's outside

Sorry @henddraig - will make sure to put in a bigger gap if I there’s another copyn pic!

2 Likes

I suspect lack of food is the biggest problem for wildlife, so carry on, i hear these days people have birds like black caps coming to their feeders which didn’t happen in the past.

Eithin - common gorse (mae’n dal bosib i weld blodau arnon hhw - it’s still possible to see flowers on them).

Byssomerulius corium - drw gen i, dim enw Cymraeg na Saesneg - sorry no Welsh or English name.

Mae’r lleuad braidd yn mawr heno - The moon is quite big tonight.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Heddiw - today.

siâp anarferol mewn rhew ar bwll. - Unusual shape in ice on a puddle. (what does your imagination see).

Eirlys gyntaf - first snowdrops.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

I love the photo of the eirlys gyntaf!

Dw i’n gweld wyneb teigr yn y pwll - I see a tiger’s face in the puddle!

Or a scary bwgan! I love the eirlys too. We’ll have to wait a while here, I’m in exile in Yr Alban (Scotland)!

2 Likes

[quote=“AnnaC, post:2189, topic:971”]
I see a tiger’s face in the puddle![/quote]
Actually, you’re right - it rather looks like the face of Hobbes in the comic “Calvin & Hobbes”

2 Likes

When i saw it, i thought of the tiger from the jungle book.

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=518417319
Iolo Williams voice over on series about wildlife in the arctic (3 episodes currently available).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

American here with a wildlife question. In American saesneg, the word for Cervus canadensis is Elk or Wapiti (a Native American word meaning “white rump”), while the word for Alces alces is Moose. Anyone know the cymraeg for these different species?

Alces alces

Cervus cannadensis

For those interested, there is a long and amusing history of the use of the word “Elk”.

6 Likes

Just elc, I would imagine - although there is another offer in Geiriadur yr Acedemi, which I suspect no-one would recognise/understand - the rather lovely: cawrgarw :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No picture, but a milestone in the year!
Y bore 'ma (this morning). I looked out of the back window at 10.05 am and saw the sun!!! (The hill behind us means that we only get reflected light in our back garden for a lot of the winter!) The sun was peeking through the branches of a lot of trees and bushes and was at the extreme end of the hill, it’s lowest point, but it is the hint of things to come! :sunrise:

4 Likes

Mae hi’n bwrw eira … ETO!

2 Likes

I think I would have a hard time living where you live…sometimes I think I border on having SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I would not be happy in so much darkness :cry:

2 Likes

It isn’t that dark, just dependent on reflected and refracted light in back garden. Sunshine across the canal!
To @raymondkefford We have some snow but it isn’t very deep so far. West is Scotland demonstates effect of warm Atlantic currents!

2 Likes

Not a brilliant picture, but my ipad and I couldn’t resist trying to capture a bit of the morning’s brecwast aderyn -

The seed feeder was filled about 2 hours earlier!! Greedy little flock, we have!

2 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

ychydig bach o eira yma - small amount of snow here.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

I would have put dipyn bach bach o eira. Is that equally OK! @aran?

1 Like

Ychydig bach sounds a bit more elegant to me than tipyn bach bach - but makes no odds in terms of understanding… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have not been able to find a photo of the canal barge named ‘Hafod’ (probably on an old computer).

But here is one i did see on the camlas Llangollen - Llangollen canal a few years ago.

Llong camlas - canal ship/barge (nice paint job, pity i didn’t have my new camera then).

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=518417337
Another episode of wildlife in the arctic.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Ymenyn y wrach - Witches butter. (Ffwng, mae’n bosib i dod o hyd ar yr hen ganghennau sydd wedi syrthio o’r coed yn ystod tywydd stormus - A fungus it is possible to find on old branches that have fallen from trees during stormy weather).

Eirlys yn y fynwent - Snowdrops in the churchyard.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

7 Likes