What's outside

Am i right in thinking that snowman is in fact Paddington bear.

Heddiw - today.

Mae hen ysgallen siarl - Old carline thistle.

Mae’r ydfran wedi dechrau godi nyth - The rooks have started nest building.

Drudwen - starling.

penglog adar wnes i dod o hyd, ddim yn siwr o rywogaeth - A bird skull i found, not sure of species.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Heddiw, on i’n cerdded wrth ochr camlas - Today, i walked beside canal.

Coch dan aden - Redwing.

Mae’r lllwybr a’r camlas eu rhewi - the path and canal were frozen.

Nifer mawr o wylanod yn dilyn aradr - large number of gulls follow the plough.

Pibonwy ar iorwg - icicles on ivy.

Machlud - sunset.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Unnatural weather. We have had very, very little frost and they have snow in parts of Spain where they usually grow courgettes at this time of year!
And Trump doesn’t believe in climate change!

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Marblen coed gyda rhew - Marble gall with frost.

Dw i’n dal i drio gael lun iaw o dryw eurben - i’m still trying to get a good photo of Goldcrest.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

A great photo! LIke a coconut toffe-apple

3 Likes

Not much this week.

Cysgod ar deail haul - shadow on sun dial (at last i passed when we had some sunshine).

cyw iâr lliw anarferol. - unusual colour chicken.

Edit: the nearest identity i have found so far is a Polish chicken.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Was that chicken dyed? I know people dye and paint some livestock! I have never seen a hen like that before!

2 Likes

I know we are on the Gulf Steam/North Atlantic Drift, but we do not expect, in Mis Ionawr, blodau crocws

They started last week. We have seen no snowdrops. but all colours of crocus seem to be popping up!

2 Likes

Dw i’n gwybod y tymheredd wedi codi yr wythnos hon - I know the temperature has risen this week.

Yr hen derwen heb ddail (nid yn gyffrous iawn) - the old oak without leaves (not very exciting).

Nesaf, rhywbeth mwy diddorol (i mi, felly pawd arall hefyd) - Next, something more interesting (to me, maybe other people as well).

(click on images for full size).
Defnyn dwr ar hen marblen coed, sy’n edrych i fod wedi amsugno rhai o’r pigmentau planhigion - Water droplet on old marble gall, which looks to have absorbed some of the plant pigments.

On i’'n synnu bach i weld pryf ar y ddeilen coeden bytholwyrdd - I was a little surprised to see a fly on the leaf of an evergreen tree.

Mae ar amser hyn, don i ddim yn gwybod beth bydd i’n gweld yn yr prynhawn - At this time, i did not know what i would see in the afternoon.

Llawr o Eirlys - lots of snow drops.

Pan wnes i edyrch yn ofalus - When i looked carfully.

Mae’r gwenyn wedi ymddangos yn gynnar - Bees have appeared early.
Gwenyn yn casglu paill a neithdar - Bees collect pollen and nectar.

Dan ni’n angen edrych i mewn blodau Eirlys i weld yr paill/neithdar - We need to look inside the snowdrop flowers to see pollen/nectar.

(disclaimer: no flowers were damaged taking this photo).

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

I really love this ‘what’s outside’ thread in general. Thank you.:relaxed:

1 Like

What’s inside!
Another plant that is flowering out of season.

I know it doesn’t really belong in this thread, but I only brought it inside for the Winter.

3 Likes

It’s lovely. What is it?

1 Like

@raymondkefford - is that some form of amaryllis? Mine have bloomed spectacularly this year!

2 Likes

I wondered about that. I us d to grow them indoors on Gower, but somehow it looks different.

1 Like

It is a Clivia, which is a close relative of Amaryllis. Usually it has umpteen flowers in Summer but it has produced just two in February. Poor, confused, wee thing! The only flowers now open in our garden are snowdrops!

1 Like

I’ve been away from home for a few weeks, & was keen to see if the lambs - ŵyn - had started arriving. I wasn’t disappointed, but this was the only one who wasn’t camera shy.

Lamb - Oen

7 Likes

syndod heddiw - surprise today.

madfall cyffredin cyntaf y flwyddyn hyn.
Don i ddim yn disgwyl gweld yr un tan y mis nesaf.
Mae’r cyntaf yn wastad yma oedd y gallant ddringo i fyny ar ben y hen deiars ac yn gynnes yn yr heulwen.-

first common lizard of this year.
I was not expecting to see one till next month.
The first are always here were they can climb up onto the old tyre and warm in the sunshine.
Note: mae o wedi colli cynffon.
Nodiad: it has lost it’s tail.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

When I read this, I had a “you learn something new everyday” moment as I had never erioed heard of it before, then within a couple of days I saw this!!

Red sheep - dafad goch.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that fungi could cause galls (on account of not really understanding or knowing much about galls).

Myrtle orange fungus from Tasmania. Rhyfedd a thlws dros ben. Amazing & very pretty indeed. A few of its stages here. Tybed if the pryf copyn, I wonder if the spider, was passing through or lives in there??
**No images of spiders here - just gwawn - threads of web.

From Wikipedia.
Cyttaria gunnii.
A specific parasite of myrtle beech trees. The fungi form globose woody galls on their host trees, though they do not appear to spread through them. They are perennial and produce crops of fruit bodies annually. Globular or pear-shaped, these can reach 2.5 cm (1 in) in diameter. They are covered by a membrane that bursts, uncovering a network of concavities.

3 Likes

Reasons:

• Sometimes individuals coloured to stand out because they need treatment or special attention
  • Whole colour also, attempt to prevent theft
  • Before showing, much less strong colour, accentuating breed characteristic. (I suspect this is cheating! I know my friends were very naughty to use black dye on white spot on ‘black and tan Cavalier’! - what is naughty for dogs is surely so for sheep, but a lot of white-enhancement goes on with all animal breeds!)
  • Marks with colour are used to determine if mating has taken place. Ram has bright colour on front and leaves marks on the backs of ewes!
  • Marks also used to declare ownership, each farm having a different colour/pattern combination.
1 Like