What's outside

Heddiw, oedd y dydd gyda syndod iawn - Today, was a day with a nice surprise.

Mae’r afalau derw gorau fi wedi ei weld erioed - The best Oak apples i have ever seen. (there are several more).

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Mae’r coconyt yn tyfu o’r coconyt.
The coconut grows from the coconut.

12 Likes

Heddiw, dipyn o heulwen, barod i hedfan - Today, little sunshine, ready to fly.

Gwibiwr llwyd (gloyn byw) - Dingy skipper (butterfly).

Gwyfyn y rhos (gwyfyn) - common heath (moth).

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Heddiw, nes’i glywed rhywbeth yn galw ei fam - Today, i heard something calling it’s mam.

Bronfraith ifanc - young song thrush.

Cheers J.P.

13 Likes

Da wir John…Nice to see herons in Rhydychen (Oxford)

Sorry. no picture - no picture ever likely! But, news of ‘our’ pine marten (bele?)
When I first moved up, we had building work going on 'til 2004. Soon after things calmed down, we sometimes glimpsed a pine marten in our wild garden, which we had fenced separately from the back garden for 2 reasons. 1, To keep the dogs out of the pond and 2. Because it still technically belonged to the Council, from whom I was trying to buy the land.
Later, when we were waiting for our friendly builder to fix our broken front step, we found that the/a pine marten was cwtching in the gap sometimes. We had to be sure it wasn’t there when the step was fixed, and only had that done to prevent, say, the Postie falling when delivering to us!
No more pine marten.
A virtually complete half-coconut full of fat was… er… removed from hanging on our bird table and taken away, who knows where. Janet assured me that the pine marten must be the culprit! I was very happy for it to have as many coconuts as it liked, but suspected a rat as just as likely!
Yesterday, we were told that a neighbour has been feeding a pine marten for some days!! Even if it comes this way, we are not able to get nocturnal pictures! But I thought you, @ramblingjohn, would like to know! (OK, I;ll admit it, I wanted to make you envious!) :wink:

4 Likes

I can’t copy on my iPad, so cannot send a link. For comments on Taith Iolo a Pws i St. Kilda see Best S4C Programmes for Learners thread! If you are over 70, prepare to shed a tear for what used to be!
The programme should still be on iPlayer and on,line., broadcast on Wednesday.
Oh, and Iolo is looking at wildlife in towns in another series!: Trefi Gwyllt Iolo
Starts tomorrow at 9.00pm

2 Likes

Y traeth, heddiw. The beach, today, at Kirkham, Lancashire.

If you look at the middle horizon, you can just make out north Wales. And, very faintly, to the right, Snowdonia.

3 Likes

This morning was gloomy - cloudy and chill - but the sun came out this afternoon and (after I finished mowing the yard) I had to take a snap of these clematis growing up the post of our carport. They’re really going strong this year!

[click to embiggen!]

5 Likes

Princes Street Gardens yng Nghaeredin ddoe gyda Gwylan y Penwaig (Herring Gull)

5 Likes

Sir Fynwy, y penwythnos 'ma. Monmouthshire, this weekend.

St George’s Mushrooms for St George’s Day. A surprise find because it is so dry at the moment & I haven’t seen any other fungi for weeks. If my ID is correct they are edible, but I won’t be testing that.

Chwilen Olew - Oil Beetle. I think.

Picwnen Goch - Hornet

7 Likes

Well, if you get a photo then i just may be a little (pob lwc).

The gill image looks good for St Georges’s mushroom, did you smell them, they have a not unpleasant aroma.

I have been away for a few days on the coast.

Gwylan y penwaig gyda un traed - Herring gull with one foot.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

@ramblingjohn we have an owl calling each evening at about 9.30 pm when I let Toffi out while I make cocoa. It says “wwww” or, in English, “woooooooo” all one note. I might be able to record it, if it carries on the same, but I don’t know how to post sound files here. Can you help? Barn? Tawny? Other?
Edit, I think it has to be Tawny, but just the long note, not the Twit bit!

2 Likes

Tylluan fech - Tawny owl (i think this is the male calling).
Maybe one day i will be lucky enough to get such a recording.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Yes, they did smell like they would make a nice omelette!

Ddoe, just like the poem …

Mi welais Jac y do
Yn eistedd ar ben to
Het wen ar ei ben
A dwy goes bren
Ho ho ho ho ho

5 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, @ramblingjohn I went to our back door yesterday evening confidently carrying my ipad, ready to click on the recorder. And no owl was there! Not a whisper! But, yes definitely a Tawny and the initial little ‘tw’ sometimes heard in your example totally missing. I believe the ‘twit-twoo’ business is ‘her calling-him answering’ or visa versa! I thought we’d had a discussion of this before, but cannot find it!
To @pippapritchard I first thought, ‘hoodie’ when I saw your picture, but I can see that jackdaws have no hood as such, just a black face. The only kind of corvid I have seen here in mid-Argyll in the hooded crow, known by all as hoodie! I thought I must have posted a picture, back when, but cannot find it. I’ll try to get another, although ‘our’ hoodie of acrobatic fame has long since passed into the eternal sky!
Edit:
Found this:

I kept him/her partly for posing nicely, but mainly because this one is much paler than our usual hoodies. Definitely a-typical! This was taken in July last year. I haven’t seen a hoodie for ages and they used to be everywhere. I hope that is not yet another species in decline. In Welsh? Bran chwfl?

4 Likes

Well done folks for posting photo’s more interesting than i am getting at the moment.

Heddiw rhywbeth bach iawn - today something very small.

Llyffant y gwair coch a du - Red and black froghopper.

I didn’t see any large children !

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

I adore the idea of youthful giants crossing! Imagine the size of the Patrol Person!!
Now, we feed the tits, finches and siskins, and then, down comes the sparrow hawk (gwalch glas).
The other day, he/she tried to catch our little bank vole, but must have missed, as it escaped into its hole under the greenhouse.
Behind him/her you can see our wild flowers and here is a better view:

You’ll see our derwen fach (baby oak) has finally shed its brown dead leaves, but I can’t see any sign of new ones or future acorns!
Flowers are a mix of wood anemones (blodau’r gwynt), celandines (Llygaid Ebrill),the odd primroses (briallu) and some too small to identify, with some marsh marigolds in the background where the pond lurks!
p.s. Love ‘April eyes’ for celandines!!

6 Likes

Waw! Go to the top of the dosbarth @henddraig
You have great wildlife up there!

1 Like

Dw i’n cytuno - i agree.

Heddiw, un aderyn braidd yn pert - Today, on rather pretty bird.

Cornchwiglen - Lapwing.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes