What's outside

Thanks @ramblingjohn. I must get a book to help me identify beetles and a better camera.

1 Like

Yes, @ramblingjohn I had a look this morning and sure enough there were the clusters of eggs.

4 Likes

Awesome pic. I appears up the other way up here in OZ.

1 Like

Bloydyn melon

5 Likes

Ty botel cwru yu Andamooka
Beer bottle house in Andamooka

4 Likes

Hen roced yn Woomera.
Old rockets in Woomera.

5 Likes

Does someone live in it? How is his liver? I guess his drinking buddies gave him their empties too, but wow!! What a brilliant example of recycling!

3 Likes

I think it was the old post office. Andamooka is an opal mining town. Lots of weird and quirky things there.

4 Likes

Bysedd y cwn - foxgloves.

cocwn o morgrugyn du yr ardd - cocoons of black garden ants.

Hadau masarnen fach sydd yn datblygu - seeds of field maple which are developing.

haid o wenyn wrng mwyar duon - swarm of bees among black berries (not quit the nice shape as those posted by @pippapritchard recently).

Haid o wenyn - swarm of bees. (dw i ddim yn swr am’r rhywogaeth - I’m not sure of the species).

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Wnes ein haid ni aros am tri diwrnod. Our swarm stuck around for three days but I didn’t venture quite as close as the very dewr @ramblingjohn
In the very hot weather, we had a bat - ystlum - yn hedfan o gwmpas y gegin yng nghanol y dydd - flying around the kitchen at lunchtime.

I heard my first cuckoo of the year today - gwell hwyr na hwyrach - better late than never.

Cyw titw mawr - great tit chick

Bright yellow slime mould :heart_eyes:

This was growing on the same log in a dark wooded spot. The finger like projections were small, less than 1cm & released what appeared to be a puff of spores when I touched it. Any ideas @ramblingjohn?

4 Likes

I reckon those are honeybees, John. Many a beekeeper would be glad to collect them and give them a new home.
Our foxgloves are still in bud but I do have some flowers for you from our front garden.

6 Likes

Slime mold (try the family Stemonitopsis ). (you are finding more than me, da iawn).

Yes, i’m just not sure which species of honey bee. i had a conversation with a bee keeper last year and they now seem reluctant to collect swarms for fear of introducing disease to their hives.
They were perfectly happy with my lens being within 9 inches of the swarm as i posed no threat.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

There was a lot of talk, back when I was on Gower, of foreign ‘killer bees’ reaching UK. Have you heard anything about that?
I’d just be glad to see any bee - mason, other solitary, bumble… oh, honey would be welcome but even a hoverfly might do! My tomatoes are in flower and the only pollination they are getting just now is me with an inexpert brush!
The slugs demolished all my lettuces but one and the second lot show no sign of arriving. :sob:
ps Sun gone and the creatures we do have are the dreaded midges! More :sob:

1 Like

Do you, or anyone you know, drink coffee - the proper stuff? When my daughter was here last year we kept the coffee grounds from her daily cups of coffee and scattered them around the strawberries. They kept the slugs away very nicely.

1 Like

I used them last year, but wasn’t at all sure they did any good so had not bothered. We are getting some copperstrip to edge the bed, and I may well start collecting my multitudinous grounds! (Dark roast Italian)!

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Ermin llwydfelyn - Buff ermine.

Larfae buwch goch gota - ladybird larvae.

Hirgorn melynresog - yellow barred long horn.

tegeirian brych - common spotted orchid.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Wow, I remember hearing they looked nothing like the adults and were rather scary! I’m glad they are not bigger! If a giant one ran across my floor, I’d probably have a heart attack! Your pic is over life size, but still quite small, and it still gave me an frisson of horror!

1 Like

Diolch i ti @ramblingjohn

Ddoe, mefus gwyllt neu mefusen y goedwig. Wild strawberries. Blasus iawn. Very tasty.

& a moth! Sorry @ramblingjohn, I’ve tried Iolo & Google but can’t identify it.

5 Likes

Our wild strawberries are covered in flowers. Was lovely and sunny! Now dark, dreich, damp… hope poor berries manage to be fertilised and survive!

2 Likes

Brychan arian - silver ground carpet (this species is very variable colour pattern so you may find photo’s that don’t look like yours).
No strawberries here yet, da iawn eto.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like