What's outside

Waw, that looks like a face! Amazing.

1 Like

Gwelais i walch glas benywod yn yr ardd ddoe. Anffodus dim camera felly dim lluniau. Doedd hi ddim yn dal y llwyd y gwrych. Mae her newydd i fi. I saw a female sparrowhawk in the garden yesterday. Unfortunately no camera so no pictures. She didn’t catch the dunnock… A new challenge for me!

3 Likes

ARTH DU MAWR!!! (BIG BLACK BEAR!!!) My neighbor took this photo.

12 Likes

I can’t un-see the panda in the picture. looks a lot more friendly than the arth fawr ddu!

And that “arth fawr ddu” makes me go “hmmm”. In English you could never say “A black big bear”, but in Welsh, an arth ddu fawr is a black bear that is big, but an arth fawr ddu is a big bear that is black. In other words, I think that your description is more correct than mine. How interesting… (sorry - to me, that is!)

1 Like

That’s a google translation. I couldn’t come up with any description in Welsh if I tried! In fact, it’s a Black Bear, as opposed to a Grizzly Bear or Panda Bear. Sometimes they’re black, and sometimes they’re brown, and sometimes they’re big - like that one is. They look very cuddly (no) and they mostly ignore humans but they get into trash if bins are left outside (most people know better) and they will even break into a garage or car and tear it apart if they smell something to eat. Mamas with cubs will get very aggressive. This guy has been wandering around the neighborhood for a week or so and I still haven’t seen him.

6 Likes

l
Emu eto (Emus again) they came over to have a look whilst I was taking soil samples. They are really curious creatures and will come right up to you at times but are very jittery and will run off at the slightest move.

10 Likes

Mwy emu eto ( more emus again)

6 Likes

I have no idea how to label each photo and, as much as I love the flora, I haven’t educated myself to be able to share what they are. My kids, however, thank you for being my new audience. LOL
Pine pollen pods which will soon be blowing a green haze over the mountains, wildflowers, flowering bush that grows in the rocky areas, and moss! I’m always surprised to see moss because of our arid climate.

8 Likes

They look like the violas we grow in our cultivated garden!! Wild violets are all over purple!

3 Likes

Yes! I just found a website - Wildflowers of Colorado (who knew) - they are “Jonny Jump Up - Wild Violas” I’m going to try to identify the others now. SSiW has turned out to be more than a language site! :smile:

3 Likes

@ramblingjohn may help! i want to try to get a pic of the tiny fast moving butterflies, black in colour, recently seen by the canal! But they move too fast to snap! John. could it be small blue, there were a lot all together! Presence of dogs did not aid close inspection! Glas bach?

2 Likes

I use moss on our roofs here as an example, they can be baked dry in the summer and frozen solid in the winter, and yet they still appear to thrive.
I wonder if that is a young Aspen in your last image.

@henddraig i look forward to the butterfly photo, there are a few possibilities.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Sorry John, I truly don’t think poor Janet can get one while walking 3 dogs along the canal!

1 Like

They used to be found on some mountains in Mid-Wales, I don’t know if they still are.

Names for them include “Heartsease”, “Wild Violas” and “Wild Pansies”.

3 Likes

I truly thought moss preferred a moist, shady environment. Again, I have great interest but I’m not in the know.

Indeed, it is a young Aspen. Isn’t it sweet?

2 Likes

Isn’t it just! Although I was always a keen adar - birds & flowers - blodau spotter, SSiW, @ramblingjohn @johnwilliams_6 & all my friends here have led me to fungi & slime - really - in a way I could never have imagined!

Stormy here for days but trying to keep an eye on a couple of garden visitors. Ymwelwyr i’r ardd.

Spotted Flycatcher - Gwybedog mannog

Distant photo but can just about identify the Redstart - Tingoch

Hoping both are nesting here. Dwi’n gobeithio bod y ddau yn nythu yma.

7 Likes

Heddiw, mae’r tywydd wedi gwella - today the weather got better. :slight_smile:

Teigr ol-adain goch - scarlet tiger.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

As far as I can find, these do not come this far north! Sad!

2 Likes

Maybe not for the moment, but species are moving north with global warming, you may well see a garden tiger moth there.

Heddiw - today.

Lindys o gwyfyn cwcwll y pannog - caterpiller of mullein moth.

Mantell dramor gyntaf dw i wedi gweld blyddyn hyn - first painted lady i have seen this year.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

Beautiful walk today! I can’t swear to the accuracy of the names of each plant. :wink:

Clover

Caterpillar - Baby Daddy moved him off the road

Sugar Bowl Flower - Clematis Hirsutissima

Wild Rose (I think)

Yellow Banner Flower

Be vewy vewy quiet…

Red Paintbrush

6 Likes