What's outside

Brilliant folks, thanks one and all for helping keep this interesting.

mae gen i syndod iawn heddiw - i had a great surprise today.

mi welodd gweirloyn cleisiog gyntaf blyddyn hyn - i saw first marbled white this year.

Ac wedyn syndod mawr - and then/next a big surprise.

Gwiber benywaidd mewn ardal lle pawb yn meddwl bod gwiber wedi diflanu - a female adder in an area where people thought adders had disappeared.
(note, i did not get all of her in the photo as she was rather long/big, also i did not wish to over disturb her).

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

She is so beautiful!

1 Like

[quote=“ramblingjohn, post:2586, topic:971”]
i saw first marbled white this year. [/quote]
Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks!

1 Like

Grisial. These are gypsym cyrstals surrounding an abandoned coal pit.

10 Likes

Myw grisial

7 Likes

Bloyden melon bach (small yellow flower)

2 Likes

This is the sort of view people like me could not have imagined on this planet before photographic evidence!

2 Likes

Thanks. I felt the same way before i went out there. Pretty weird hey. The water is nasty though 1.5 times as salty as sea water with a pH of near 3.

2 Likes

Ouch! :confounded:

2 Likes

Ddim yn iawn!

1 Like

I was bitten by every insect capable of biting outside today. I was feeling very sorry for myself but was cheered up by a furry fungus!

Hare’s Foot Ink-cap - Cap Inc Troed Ysgyfarnog - I’m guessing at the Welsh.

Next, nesaf Google suggests 6 Spot Burnet - Bwrned Chwe Smotyn
That blue ‘antennae’ was very bright.

7 Likes

Where are you. @pippapritchard?
I’m sorry, I have forgotten, but if not in west Scotland, I can say, with feeling, at least you were not being nibbled by the Scottish midges!!! Of course they are too small to photograph without special equipment, although I could post a picture of a lot of minute black dots - the bodies of the dead!!

3 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Mantell wen - White admiral.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

it is glorious John, and I have never seen one! Oh lovely world! Such wonders in such brief time!
gogoniant, llawenydd, harddwch ar ardenydd!
Diolch yn fawr!

2 Likes

I’m in SE Cymru along with nifer fawr o bryfed llwyd, a lot of horse flies!

2 Likes

Dw i’n cytuno a chi - i agree with you. (lucky me).

One of those times when a companion who is more attractive to flies would be welcome :blush:

Gwennol ddu - swift (approaching nest in the shadow where i could see a chick waiting for food but the camera could not capture it).

Tylluan - owl (guarding strawberries).

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

@ramblingjohn I often had a companion attractive to horse flies! A horse! And what happened? They were attracted to him and bit me, right through my jodhpurs, in passing! As i came up in big bumps then and at intervals thereafter, the only answer was lashings of repellent! Midges do not seem repelled by much, so an all enveloping net is the only answer!
We tried a midge eater, but it turned out to need servicing every year and, finally, the company went out of business!

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

@henddraig I feel your pain with the midges & with being bitten through clothing!

1 Like

Heddiw yn yr ardd. - Today in the garden.
I think the eggs must have hatched! Siglen fraith (Pied wagtail)

6 Likes

Sad! My nice new lettuce seedlings, carefully cosseted by coffee grounds, egg shells and copper wire fence, have just been battered by hail that sounded like the household cavalry doing a Spanish Riding School display! Then came the thunder which my Toffi yapped at in challenge! I can sympathise with the Romans! It is no wonder they built a wall and gave up on the parts to,the north when they were used to a Mediterranean climate!

3 Likes