What's outside

The wagtails have fledged!

9 Likes

I wish I could give zillions of likes!

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

1 Like

Yay! Brilliant. They look well & confident. Hope being an empty nester isn’t too tough on you!

2 Likes

Yes, it was good to see them fly off but, I must admit that washing up has lost its attraction!

2 Likes

Pics from a day in the garden

Cachgi bwm ar dafod y ych (bumble bee on borage) the borage has rather got away from me and taken the whole bed but the bees adore it - one of the Welsh names Wicepdia Cymraeg gives for it is ‘bara gwenyn’ (bee bread). I sowed it because it looked pretty on the packet but apparently it’s edible - though I’m not sure I can get around the furriness!

Blodau wedi torri - the wildflowers which were SUPPOSED to be where the borage ended up but were getting smothered and the top few inches of an extremely large and top heavy foxglove from the other end of the garden which was toppling over.

Bysedd y cŵn is foxglove but some of the alternate names are lovely - I like gwyniadur Mair (Mair’s thimbles)

Glas y Ŷd is cornflower - “The blue of the corn”

I don’t know what the other pink one is called even in English…

9 Likes

I love the photos of the borage - gorgeous!

2 Likes

Stick to eating the flowers! They can be eaten as they are or candied. Very nice in cold drinks too. They are prettier than they are tasty. You’ve reminded me that I need to grow some next year.

2 Likes

The best i can muster for your image is a weevil which probably lives (as a larvae) on roots, there are a large number of larvae they live inside wood (as ever i could be wrong).

Heddiw - today.

Pyrausta aurata (mint moth) drw gen i, dim enw yn yr cymraeg .

Gwibiwr bach - small skipper.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

I knew of borage as a medicinal herb, but it seems it is eaten or was eaten raw in salads! I wouldn’t fancy those hairs. It seems the honey your bees are making from borage flowers is especially tasty and good! One reference says borage may be good for osteoporosis, but I would need a doctor’s opinion before trying it!

2 Likes

A weevil! I was hoping for something a little more glamorous i ddweud y gwir :joy:

Coch y Berllan heddiw. Bullfinch today.

Fferm drws nesa. Farm next door. I really like this roofline. Anybody know what the ‘chimneys’ are for?

4 Likes

[quote=“pippapritchard, post:2656, topic:971”]
Anybody know what the ‘chimneys’ are for?[/quote]
Most likely for ventilation. Any breeze will pull the air out of the top of the barn(s) as it passes those louvered openings. Helps to keep the barns from getting too HOT and also keeps the smells down, I think.

3 Likes

What’s outside? Something I really don’t want to be outside (although rather outside than inside!)

6 Likes

I have a big soft spot for llygoden fawr. but I agree, not in the house!! When my Welsh speaking friend at work first told me that the Welsh for rat was big mouse, I thought he was teasing me! But I soon found that it was true! (I had never thought to learn this before!) Although my learning of French featured stories of Madam Souris and her family. (Madam Mouse!).

4 Likes

Ffwng yn ur coedwig
(Fungi in the forest)
Mae’n Geaf yma, ac dw i’n maddwl bofin mynd am dro yn yr coedwig pan or n’i weld llawer ffwng diddorol.
(It is winter here, and I thought I would go for a waly in the forest when I saw some interesting fungi.

5 Likes

Mwy ffwng
(More fungi)

5 Likes

It’s nice to be reminded that Australia is not all treeless, hot desert!

2 Likes

Arall ffwng
(another fungi)

3 Likes

Un mwy (one more)

4 Likes

Ac ur coedwig.
(And the forest)
Yep not all desert @henddraig. Where i live reminds me of Wales a bit in the landscape. Where I work though is pretty arid.

3 Likes